H502c High CRI Neutral White Headlamp

ryguy24000

Enlightened
Is this version of the 502 going to be the only neutral version or are we still waiting. I was thinking about pulling the trigger here, but I don't really like the output levels. I do, however like the sound of the daylight version, but 5000k is a little too white for me.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
If I'm not mistaken, the H502c is the "warm white" (4000K) Luxeon Rebel High CRI model. The H502d is the 5000K "daylight balanced" high CRI model.
Personally I'd pick the D model 10 out of 10 times, but that's because I'm used to the 5000k - 5500k color temp as neutral from using many flashes in photography (where daylight is normally considered 5500K). The d-model is also one of the few - if not the only 5000K LED I've seen around, so I'm very excited for that option.

It's a matter of personal preference I suppose. Warm light is easier on the eyes, but 4000K is still a bit cooler than incandescent lightbulbs which are normally around 2750K (on very low) to 3500K (typical 100W bulb). The CRI is the same for both.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamshots and color comparisons of the H502c in the other "big" H502 thread, by yours truly.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Questionable need for new thread. There's all kinds of discussion of the high CRI/neutral white issues in the main thread on the latest pages. Just sayin'...

wuyeah

Enlightened
guys...i am struggling to figure out here. I am doing lots posts, learning and pulling my hair out at the same time not get the visual difference.
Can anyone share me a sample beam shot or to explain the difference between FLOOD and FLOODY?
I know FLOODY = is similar to flood but not true flood. It give more throw than true flood....but these are just words and words. What difference do they look like?

YoSeKi

Newly Enlightened
guys...i am struggling to figure out here. I am doing lots posts, learning and pulling my hair out at the same time not get the visual difference.
Can anyone share me a sample beam shot or to explain the difference between FLOOD and FLOODY?
I know FLOODY = is similar to flood but not true flood. It give more throw than true flood....but these are just words and words. What difference do they look like?

The difference is hard to describe in words and not easy to describe in pictures either. The best way to understand yourself is to see the difference in person.

"Floody" looks like a regular flashlight beam being shined through frosted glass. If you have frosted tape, or a flat piece of opaque plastic, you can simulate the effect by shining a regular flashlight through the frosted material.

"Flood" looks like light from a bare bulb. If you can remove the reflector from one of your lights, you can simulate the effect of a "flood" light by talking off the reflector and using the bare bulb.

ryguy24000

Enlightened
Yeah Sorry V. That 502 thread is HUGE and broad. My question remains. Is this the whole 502 line up? Just to compare notes to headlamps already owned by myself. I am holding out on a 502 that would rival my ST5 in max lumen count all the while with that nice neutral color.

wuyeah

Enlightened
The difference is hard to describe in words and not easy to describe in pictures either. The best way to understand yourself is to see the difference in person.

"Floody" looks like a regular flashlight beam being shined through frosted glass. If you have frosted tape, or a flat piece of opaque plastic, you can simulate the effect by shining a regular flashlight through the frosted material.

"Flood" looks like light from a bare bulb. If you can remove the reflector from one of your lights, you can simulate the effect of a "flood" light by talking off the reflector and using the bare bulb.

Thanks YoSeKI. I just try to experience with my 3D Maglite LED. It is the only light I can access to easily remove the reflector. Very interesting. No focus center, which make it appear less bright but big even coverage area.
What is advantage of adding a frost coating in the front? wouldn't the frost coat will take even more brightness out? Is it the reason why flood light without reflector never equipped with frost front due to following 2 reasons.
1) there is no need to, cuz LED without reflector is already evenly spread out 2) it will take more brightness out. Which the two reasons are double "no, no".

Frost lens only apply to LED with reflector. for two reasons. 1) try to mimic true flood light 2) try to gain a bit throw while maintain flood quality (which is floody).
Am I on the right track understand Flood/Floody?

Which made me raise another question while I was reading H502 30pg thread. My impression, a lot of ppl want close range prefer flood over floody. Which appear H501/H502 are popular over H31F/H51F. Some responded in close range working, reading condition, they feel they can stare Flood type light over Floody. Why is that? What make Flood light advantage over Floody? Appear from my understanding, Floody light should have more advantage. In close, with help of reflector bring light brighter while diffused. in distance, floody gain slight throw. Some responded Floody type lights are no good in throw and no a good close range. Which confused me a little bit. I would think ppl prefer floody over all....good in both world.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have ZL H51Fc which is the floody, 85CRI 4000K color temperature version.
At very low light levels I can see how pure flood would be better for reading, as I have to move my head a little bit to get the brighter zone to the letters, but that is when reading at about 18" on the lowest level (.28 lumens). In most cases I find the floody beam to be a perfect compromise, allowing usable light on H2 out 30+ feet while still giving me a nearly perfect flood light. Also, when using it as a headlamp, the floody beam gives me more light in the center of my vision, gradually dimming towards the edge of my vision, it's a great compromise in my opinion.
I'm also looking forward to getting an H502c.

YoSeKi

Newly Enlightened
Am I on the right track understand Flood/Floody?

I think so.

Which made me raise another question while I was reading H502 30pg thread. My impression, a lot of ppl want close range prefer flood over floody. Which appear H501/H502 are popular over H31F/H51F. Some responded in close range working, reading condition, they feel they can stare Flood type light over Floody. Why is that? What make Flood light advantage over Floody? Appear from my understanding, Floody light should have more advantage. In close, with help of reflector bring light brighter while diffused. in distance, floody gain slight throw. Some responded Floody type lights are no good in throw and no a good close range. Which confused me a little bit. I would think ppl prefer floody over all....good in both world.

I don't know. You will have to try it yourself. It is different for everybody.

Latest posts