Looking to purchase my first "real" light. Need your help.

secret1122

Newly Enlightened
This is my first post on here, and I'm looking for some help on my first "real" flashlight purchase. I've browsed through this forum and have some ideas of what I want, but still need help to narrow down the choices to just a few that I can compare and then make a decision on my own. The general question here as I'm sure many have asked before, is "what is the best and brightest flashlight for the best price?" I know this is very subjective so I will tell you want I do and do not know. I will copy the checklist you folks have so kindly made available to us new members. In the end I want the best bang for my buck, as I'm sure most people do. I will add my own comments to each section of the checklist in blue to let you know extra details.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I would like to purchase the light from a brick and mortar store. I am located in ______________.
__X__I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $25.
____Less than $50.
____Less than $100.
____Less than $150.
____Less than $300.
____I have no limit.
__X__I'm flexible, tell me what you gotJ.
____Other, please specify ________

3) Format:

__X__I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a dive light.
____I want a portable spotlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Keychain size.
__X__Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
__X__Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
__X__Holster carry.
____Big enough to need its own travel caseJ.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
____N/A

5) Emitter/Light source:

__X__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know
It really seems that LED will produce the brightest light while at the same time still giving the best run time. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

6) Manufacturer:

__X__I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
__X__I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves
I could go either way here. I'm guessing that as a newbie, it's probably a safer bet for me to have a production light that I know is safe and durable and that until I get more comfortable with the technology of flashlights, I should probably avoid tinkering with the internals. However, if you folks know of a reputable business/person that can make something custom, I'm most definitely open to the idea.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

____I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
__X__I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
__X__I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
__X__I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
____I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)
Ok, here's where I can offer a load of information on my personal thoughts. Through browsing these forums I cam e across a mention of the Thrunite TN30. I looked it up and I absolutely LOVE it. To me, this seems THE ideal "best bang for the buck" light. It's about the brightest LED light I've seen at a reasonable price (under $300), with variable settings (another plus for me). Then I found the section of CPF on the dangers of batteries. The shortened version is that I have become nervous of using multiple Li-ion cells and the care that is needed to avoid blowing yourself up. I know, an exaggeration, but the fact is they CAN be dangerous if not handled correctly. Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but here's what I've gathered on the safety of these batteries. It seems I should have little chance of issues if I follow these rules:

Use a modern flashlight that has it's own built in protections against venting/exploding batteries, which could include protection circuits, strong casing to keep the fragments from penetrating and hurting you physically, or weak points to vent the gasses and fragments away from your body. We can get into more of that later.
Use a proper, protected cell such as the AW cells that seem highly recommended.
Use a modern, safety enhanced charger such as the Pila (this is what I would certainly purchase).
Check the voltage of the batteries after charging/before use in the light, and also after use in the light to verify they all have the same voltage.

If I missed anything basic on the safety aspects, please let me know. If following these simple rules will keep my risk of battery issues near zero, then I will feel comfortable enough to use them. I understand that using just one cell also pretty much eliminates the risk, but that takes away many choices, including the TN30 that I so badly want.

Another note since it would appear that I am set on this TN30, I want to clarify that while in the end you all might convince me this is the one, there are two reasons I'm posting here to ask these questions in the first place. One I mentioned is the battery safety concern, and two, with the limited searching I did there may be many choices that I am still unaware of. I love the TN30 from what I've read, but for all I know there are much better choices out there and if so, I want to hear about them.

Now, back to the subject of this checklist item, I am flexible on the battery types. It depends on many factors which is where I'm asking for help. I'll take whatever flashlight/battery combo ends up being the highest recommended. I don't really know a lot of the pros/cons of the various battery types, so this is where I could use some advice. I have marked my three prime battery choices.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

__X__I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
__X__I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
__X__I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
__X__I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).
__X__I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).
Another thing I like about the TN30, is the full range of lumens it offers. I really want a light that offers a range of uses. I'd love something that is all-purpose where I can grab one light to do any job. This includes having the brightest option possible since as many of you feel the same, I have a "thing" about having so much light power in my hands. there's just something cool about it :cool:

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

__X__Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
__X__Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
__X__5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
__X__30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
__X__50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
__X__150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)
As said above, I'd like something with the range to do it all.

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)
____3 hours + (I critically need this light to run on max for extended periods in between battery changes/charges).
I just want the best runtime for the power. Of course the longer the better, but it isn't REQUIRED that it go a certain time period. Of course I also understand that the lower the power setting, the longer it'll run. I don't plan on running the light at 100% all the time.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
__X__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
__X__Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
I'd of course like something as durable as possible. I'm willing to pay for something that'll last.

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
____I want a twisty switch (Tighten the head/tailcap to activate, and the light will stay on until the head/tailcap is loosened).
____I want a body mounted switch (near the head, like on a Maglite).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).
__X__I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________________.
You guys can tell me if certain switches are preferable over others and for what reason.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
__X__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a programmable light.
____I want a selector ring.
____I want a strobe mode. (Blinks to show location.)
____I want SOS mode.
____I want a beacon mode.
____I don't care.
____I don't know.
I haven't checked ALL the possibilities, but the one I did check is a must. Other things I may want if you all feel they are important enough.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).
__X__I don't care.
____I don't know.
____Other, please specify____________.
Again, you're recommendations will push me one way or the other.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

____Red filter (for preserving night vision).
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________).
____Dedicated R/G/B secondary LEDs.
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Pocket/belt clip
__X__Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Crenulated bezel
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments
A holster would be nice. Other items here would be based on your recommendations.

So I supposed you could use the TN30 as a base to what I like, and go from there to make me aware of other choices that are available to me. Hopefully I've given enough information to help you guys guide me, and I'll answer any additional questions you have. Thanks in advance or any help given.

Last edited:

secret1122

Newly Enlightened
You wrote alot. Checkout the Klarus XT11 as a base light. Tell us if you do or don't like something abotu it and we'll go from there.
I actually had looked at that light yesterday based on recommendations from another poster's thread on CPF.

600 lumens is a lot. I maybe prefer more, but maybe I'm also being a bit of a dork wanting the power of the sun in my hands.
I like the adjustable lighting levels (3 levels plus a strobe)
Single 18650 battery, so little to no chance of me blowing myself up :)
It has the necessary included accessories.
The supposed 2.2 hour run time on high is a huge bonus over the less than one hour time that the TN30 has.

Dislikes:
Not a whole lot. The lumens are the only question. Once again, I had already had my heart set on the TN30, so of course mentally I feel like I'm downgrading even though I haven't bought anything yet. I just watched a youtube video of the XT11 in action, and I'll admit, it looked plenty bright. Plus, from reading on this forum, it appears to be one of the brightest lights available using a single 18650 battery.

I have also seen mentioned on here the Eagletac g25c2. It seems the general consensus is that the ET has better throw and more programmable settings, and the Klarus more flood, and more simplistic usability. However, apparently the ET has a special filter you can purchase that makes for a quick transition to less throw, more flood. It does appear to have a lower battery time of a little over an hour, but still not bad. My only concern with this light is the difficult looking description of how to cycle through the different modes. I'm hoping the user manual would be a little more clear on how to do it.

So simple answer is I find nothing terribly wrong with the XT11. I'm just wondering if my battery fears are big enough (and justified) to go with a more "newbie" light since it is my first. Another question, if I do go with a single 18650 light, I will still go with an AW brand and the Pila charger, but should I still be testing with a multimeter before and after use to ensure the battery is still withing its acceptable and safe range?

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Well, first off, you are NOT gonna be satisfied with just one light. So get used to the fact that you WILL be buying more than one, LOLOL! :sick2:

I've been a flashlight junkie for over two years now. Probably bought 100+ lights, mostly as gifts. But I've kept 30 or 40 in my own collection.
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I'm always on the lookout for the 'latest and greatest' and I recently bought a Klarus XT11 flashlight. I gotta say, this is a terrific light. It pumps out over 600 lumens and has wonderful balance of flood and throw. It has two buttons on the end, with the smaller button allowing instant access to strobe, while the bigger button comes on in HIGH. If you hit the big button, then you can hit the smaller button to cycle through HIGH>MED>LOW modes. This light utilizes two CR123 batteries or one 18650 rechargeable battery, so it's nice to have the battery options. I bought mine on eBay for $90, and it came with the light and a holster, along with two 18650 batteries and a charger. If I was a LEO (or someone with an ambiguous, lengthy list of 'wants'), I'd have to think this is just about the perfect light.
smile2.gif

Here's a link to a full review: Klarus XT11 (XM-L U2 - 1x18650, 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO+

EDIT: I just received my 2nd XT11 in the mail yesterday. This one will be a gift.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight SC600. It has a crazy amount of brightness, good runtimes, and a total of 6 outputs: low, med, high, each with two sublevels. Not to mention the super slick UI.

Last edited:

secret1122

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight SC600. It has a crazy amount of brightness, good runtimes, and a total of 6 outputs: low, med, high, each with two sublevels. Not to mention the super slick UI.
I just looked at this light as well. In comparison to the other two lights (TX11 and Eagletac g25c2), it appears to be able to produce more lumens for at least a few minutes. Otherwise it seems very similar to the other two. That being said, what is up with these complicated ways of changing the brightness levels? Maybe the user manuals explain it in a much easier fashion, but on the internet it confuses the heck out of me. It's like the old secret codes on the original Nintendo. Up down up down left a a b a b select, turn this, push that...

At this point you guys have offered three choices to me and I'll look them over. Nobody has said anything for or against me getting the TN30. I still don't know if I should stay away from it as a new flashlight user. Any other suggestions on top of what's been given? Any other opinions on the three mentioned so far?

Thanks again for the help, it's definitely appreciated.

Random Dan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XT11 will reduce output to 70% of maximum after 3 minutes and the G25C2 will reduce output to 80% after 200 seconds. You can turn off this feature on the Eagletac but it will further decrease battery life. If you want something that will keep it's max output for its entire battery life I'd take a look at the Armytek Viking, Sunwayman T20CS, and Niteye TS20.

:EDIT: And the UI is much easier than it sounds. From off you can either click the switch normally to get high, double-click to get medium, or press and hold for a second to get low. Once it's on you can hold down the switch and it will cycle through the three modes, just release the switch when you see the mode you want. When you are in any of the modes you can double-click to toggle between that mode's two sublevels. It sounds kinda complicated in written form - I recommend you look up a video review of pretty much any Zebralight on youtube as it's easier to understand when you can watch someone doing it.

Last edited:

rambo180

Enlightened
I actually had looked at that light yesterday based on recommendations from another poster's thread on CPF.

600 lumens is a lot. I maybe prefer more, but maybe I'm also being a bit of a dork wanting the power of the sun in my hands.
I like the adjustable lighting levels (3 levels plus a strobe)
Single 18650 battery, so little to no chance of me blowing myself up :)
It has the necessary included accessories.
The supposed 2.2 hour run time on high is a huge bonus over the less than one hour time that the TN30 has.

Dislikes:
Not a whole lot. The lumens are the only question. Once again, I had already had my heart set on the TN30, so of course mentally I feel like I'm downgrading even though I haven't bought anything yet. I just watched a youtube video of the XT11 in action, and I'll admit, it looked plenty bright. Plus, from reading on this forum, it appears to be one of the brightest lights available using a single 18650 battery.

I have also seen mentioned on here the Eagletac g25c2. It seems the general consensus is that the ET has better throw and more programmable settings, and the Klarus more flood, and more simplistic usability. However, apparently the ET has a special filter you can purchase that makes for a quick transition to less throw, more flood. It does appear to have a lower battery time of a little over an hour, but still not bad. My only concern with this light is the difficult looking description of how to cycle through the different modes. I'm hoping the user manual would be a little more clear on how to do it.

So simple answer is I find nothing terribly wrong with the XT11. I'm just wondering if my battery fears are big enough (and justified) to go with a more "newbie" light since it is my first. Another question, if I do go with a single 18650 light, I will still go with an AW brand and the Pila charger, but should I still be testing with a multimeter before and after use to ensure the battery is still withing its acceptable and safe range?

you'll only get 500 lumens on one 18650 with the XT11, but over 700lm on 2xCR123s. yes, FANTASTIC battery life and good switch.

other lights in that category, that throw more include the sunwayman t20cs or thrunite tn11s.

Latest posts