• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

What new flashlights would YOU like to see from Peak???

Diablo_331

Enlightened
Hello my fellow flashoholics! I have a story about my personal experience with Peak which I would like to share with you. I'd also like to ask you a question..

Firstly, a little background about my love for not only Peak but all American made lights. I, personally, am addicted to the simplicity and reliability of the Peak offerings. There is no other light, that I have yet owned, that I have more confidence to be used as a bulletproof backup light. Many think that the QTC in even the generation two QTC lights has plenty of room for improvement and I agree. But the fact is, when I need lumens to come out of the end of a flashlight, and I need that simple task to happen every time, I am more confident in the Eiger series than any other. I have actually tried to kill a SS AAA Eiger by throwing it with all of my might repeatedly against concrete with no success. Granted, that particular Eiger has seen better days cosmetically but it still functions just fine. The Eiger in has since been gifted and is still in service. It's new owner knows what I did to the light and says that it only adds to it's personal value which really warms me inside.

Ok now, on to the meat and potatoes.. If Peak were to make a few Eiger style, or any style for that matter, QTC lights in titanium and copper, I believe that they would sell like hotcakes. American made, bulletproof and great prices to boot.. What's not to like? I'll be honest here. Their website sucks and until recently, they had no customer service to speak of...

Flashoholics have been itching for a good copper light since the Maratac AAA and who the heck doesn't like titanium? I am in love with the properties of titanium and have never even owned a titanium light. (That is until my DQG III arrives :naughty:) I'll personally take a copper and titanium in 10180, 10280, and maybe even AAA flavor. A lug body would be a must for my purposes to be used as a straight hanging neck light. THAT is where my SS, 10180, Nichia 219, Eiger lives.. Around my neck. While this only happened recently, I find it to be perfect for this. Even some 10180 and 10280 lug bodies in aluminum would be great for a neck chain as it would save a little weight compared to the stainless steel option. It could also appeal to a larger crowd because of the lower metal costs as opposed, to say, titanium. Maybe some new options are already on the horizon.. Who knows?..

So I guess the real question is.. What would YOU like to see Peak bring to the table next? A few more metal choices like myself or maybe something completely different? I would love to hear you thoughts and experiences. Bring 'em on! :twothumbs

Last edited:

whateatsrabbits

Newly Enlightened
I also love American lights and peaks are nice and simple, and rugged, and priced well. I bought and el capitan for a back up to my cr123 lights. I have since stopped using cr123 batts and bought a second EL capitan in ss warm. The warm led puts my hicri quark to shame, the quarks beam looks greenish I also have a eiger 219 in the mail.

QTC is a great, I got 2 modes moonlight and high. You are on it with the need for titanium as an option. I also want a secure pocket clip for pocket bodies. Yeah so thats it Ti and pocket clips.

sassaquin

Enlightened
Oh, how I would love to see Peak build a copper light. An Eiger AAA or 10180 would be the ultimate, but I'd buy any copper model they build.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
This

I'd love to see an evolution of their existing design where the battery is not part of the mechanical solution to compressing the QTC.

and this

Oh, how I would love to see Peak build a copper light. An Eiger AAA or 10180 would be the ultimate, but I'd buy any copper model they build.

...but I want a copper Logan 17500. Titanium would also be nice. :) When I have the money I'm on the fence for the brass Logan 17500, but if a copper version is in the works I'd be happy to wait.

Last edited:

Diablo_331

Enlightened
dudemar said:
This

and this

...but I want a copper Logan 17500. Titanium would also be nice. :) When I have the money I'm on the fence for the brass Logan 17500, but if a copper version is in the works I'd be happy to wait.

If all of this talk of copper and titanium Peaks were to ever come to light, they would need to step up their quality control process IMHO. As it stands now they let too many lights with sub-par finishes slip through the cracks. The 10180 lug Eiger that I mentioned in my OP is a fine example of this. Any thoughts on this? Has anyone else ever received a Peak with sub-par finish work?

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm confused. In your OP you sound really happy with your Eiger 10180, but up until now you didn't mention anything about imperfections. :/

Diablo_331

Enlightened
I guess it does sound a little weird. I have mentioned it elsewhere on the forum but not here. I view my Peaks as being tools first. I am not soft on them and really don't care if I beat on them because that is the very reason I buy them. Now don't get me wrong, I'm still very happy with it. It just doesn't sit quite right with me that it came that way directly from Peak. Rest assured that this is being looked into. I'm not by a PC atm but I guess I can post some photos of what I'm talking about.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Very happy with my TI AAA Eiger, bought from another member on the Marketplace.

Norm

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess it does sound a little weird. I have mentioned it elsewhere on the forum but not here. I view my Peaks as being tools first. I am not soft on them and really don't care if I beat on them because that is the very reason I buy them. Now don't get me wrong, I'm still very happy with it. It just doesn't sit quite right with me that it came that way directly from Peak. Rest assured that this is being looked into. I'm not by a PC atm but I guess I can post some photos of what I'm talking about.

Yes a pic or even a brief description would help.

Diablo_331

Enlightened
dudemar said:
Yes a pic or even a brief description would help.

It has a two marks where it looks like it was drug across something. A photo will explain it all. They are on my PC and I'll get them up.
Edit: Forgot that they were in my Photobucket. I'm pressed for time bt here is a link to one of the photos. The rest can be found there.
http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab201/bac22282/P6220006.jpg

Last edited:

peakfreak

Newly Enlightened
Looks like a legit complaint to me if it indeed arrived that way. That should have been sold as a second.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
It definitely looks like abrasion. The mark on the right almost looks like it came from a drop. Either way I would email Peak for warranty work or ask for a new body.

Last edited:

Diablo_331

Enlightened
I tried to post this comment yesterday but it failed to go through..

Like I mentioned, it really isn't worth the return shipping to me. I could have sent it back to Oveready for a replacement but chose not to. Dan contacted me about it and was very helpful about the whole situation.
It seems as if I have derailed my own thread.. So back on topic. I wouldn't mind seeing another QTC improvment as PCC mentioned. The more I use my newest Eiger the more jumpy the ramping becomes. I can get a pretty smooth ramping up until about half brightness then it will jump to full output. This happens when ramping up or down. This isn't a huge issue for me as the biggest complaint that I had with the old QTC Peaks were how difficult it was to ramp to a nice low mode. If/when I would get it there, it would slowly ramp itself up. This still seems to be a non issue so far with the gen 2 QTC pills. I guess only time will tell as I put more and more miles on the pill. The fact remains that, even with this small issue, my Peaks are still my most loved backup lights. Heck, my 219 Eiger is the ONLY light that I carry while at work. I really do have that much faith in it.. Well that and my pockets are always full which is why it's around my neck.

jorgen

Enlightened
Nichia 219 El Capitan
XML Ranier with qtc
Logan with a Vesuvius like output (550-600 Lumens)
12250 BODY

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to see a body that you can attach a clip to without that stupid keyring attachment sticking up. I suppose a dremel could deal with it, but the light still ends up a lot longer than it needs to be.