Fenix e01 & chap stick: great survival kit addition(multi uses)

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
So most of us all know the lamp/lantern trick with the cap but just today I discovered some other uses for the chap stick. I was cleaning up my e01 and added pocket clip (from maratac AAA) and soon discovered that the on/off twisting action was a bit rough. Yep, oring was dried out. So I took the chap stick and lubed up the oring..... back nice and smooth! Then it immediately struck me, I could also use the chapstick as a fire starter, perhaps with the addition a cotton ball ball or two. The combo has found a permanent place in my backpacking gear especially now that the pocket clip will allow me to also use the e01 as my headlamp attached to the brim of my hat.

Bafanafa

Newly Enlightened
I couldn't agree more! I have several twisty lights and I always lube up the threads\o-ring with my chap stick. It works really well and it's super handy. The two things that I always, ALWAYS have on my person are chap stick and a light so it's perfect. I haven't tried the fire starter application yet but now I'm definitely looking forward to it!

Spread the word!

ragweed

Enlightened
Thanks for the info! I never would have realized that Chap stick was so handy.

97catintenn

Newly Enlightened
I read your thread a couple days ago and then today I was out at a customers house for a water leak. The shower valve was bad, so I went and bought a replacement. During the install, I got to step 4...lubricate the orings...DOH! I forgot to get the silicone lube! But, I had chapstick :twothumbs and ten minutes later, no leaks either.

Thanks for the thread!

srfreddy

Enlightened
It could be dangerous to use petroleum lubricants on some orings, as they could break down. It depends what they are made of.

xlight

Banned
both Lithium Grease and silicone grease are available for o-ring on Fenix flashilight.