Cree MT-G from hub dynamo?

Savvas

Enlightened
Hi Folks,

Pretty dark and cold here in the South at the moment (that's Southern Australia BTW) and it set me thinking. I was cruising Cutter's site and came across the Cree MT-G. It has 12 dies - not sure how they are arranged - and some interesting specs - http://www.cutter.com.au/products.php?cat=Cree+MTG. Cutter also sells a nice big reflector for the led as well.

I wondered if anyone had tried running one of these from a hub dynamo?

Savvas

znomit

Enlightened
Its not really a good match for a dyno at 6V(too low) or 36V(too high).

The 12V XML is probably your best bet. Retrofitting to a dead magicshine should be easy as.

A10K

Newly Enlightened
According to the CREE product comparison tool, a H0-binned MT-G would only produce about 300 lumens at 500ma, which is less than you'd get from 2 XM-Ls running side by side. I'd also bet you'll have some trouble focusing the light, as there's a lot of dies and surface area to account for. Even at 300 lumens you're going to need to focus the light well if you want to see any appreciable distance ahead of you, though if you're just making a be-seen backup you can run a bare LED with a shroud (to keep it out of your own eyes) and be fine. A 12V XM-L would have similar issues with optics, with the added bonus of not emitting much light at lower speeds, especially if you're running any kind of full wave rectification, which you'll need for a standlight. It does pack quite a punch if you can get a higher-binned one (U3, U4).