Mini review added! Tip of the hat to Jason - and Policescannerman

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scroll down for my first impressions of this beautiful light!!

I gotta admit - I'm getting pretty excited over the Prometheus Alpha Blue-Label I just ordered. PSM has introduced me to a number of cool lights that I had previously noticed, but had not really paid any attention to. He's certainly a member of my 'most listened to' group, which includes Scout24, Barbarian, Coloradogps, DaFABRICATA, Arewethereyetdad, easilyled, and a few others that share similar tastes to mine. When he took the time to send a message showing his cool new Alpha Blue-Label, I a) took notice and b) appreciated it!

I digress.

Jason is to be commended over the sheer volume of information on his website, and the quality in which that info is presented.

I imagine that breaking into the custom flashlight market has to be challenging. The pool of customers, while significant, seems to be somewhat limited. Those who have lived in and enjoyed the custom 'space' are willing to try new things, but people entering the pool either need to read the forums for a while and take leaps of faith, or have a friend who evangelizes the cool stuff, or just instinctively know that quality comes at a price. While Dark Sucks has been around for a while, to many the Dark Sucks / Prometheus label may still be relatively 'new.'

The volume of quality information on Jason's web site, coupled with the amount of information on CPF, is enough to push a 'newer' consumer of quality flashlights to:

a) take immediate notice of Jason's work
b) more quickly jump into the custom flashlight market

I confess that I can be somewhat fickle and engage in the "flavor of the day" with a lot of lights. Exceptions? McGizmo, Spy, Malkoff, Milky, Surefire.

But after reading about all (yes, I read it all and watched all the videos) of the research, effort and work that goes into the Alpha Blue-Label - and recognizing the fact that it is essentially hand built by one man right here in the USA, I expect that the Prometheus brand will be added to my "short list" of rock-solid keepers.

So thank you, PSM, for giving me a 'shove' towards this light! And Jason, if I'm this excited about it before I even receive one, imagine what it'll be like when I receive the light....

Hopefully soon!!! :popcorn: :wave: :D :twothumbs

Last edited:

Zandar

Enlightened
Re: Tip of the hat to Jason - and Policescannerman

run4jc , I stumbled onto CPF' last October by complete accident., while searching for a better light to replace my not so durable led lights from the home improvement store. After reading up on the forum, I purchased a much better and way more expensive light from Surefire. Later I stumbled onto the custom manufactures forum by chance, as there was a thread about a fairly new company,with a neat name,(Dark Sucks) that makes a rechargeable light.Imagine my surprise to find this company is literally a 1 man show. I've learned everything I know about led lights from Jason. You will not find a more dedicated, helpfull, caring customer service oriented light builder! Relax your in good hands.I carry my xm-l Alpha everyday .It really is a great light.. Welcome to the club.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

run4jc , I stumbled onto CPF' last October by complete accident., while searching for a better light to replace my not so durable led lights from the home improvement store. After reading up on the forum, I purchased a much better and way more expensive light from Surefire. Later I stumbled onto the custom manufactures forum by chance, as there was a thread about a fairly new company,with a neat name,(Dark Sucks) that makes a rechargeable light.Imagine my surprise to find this company is literally a 1 man show. I've learned everything I know about led lights from Jason. You will not find a more dedicated, helpfull, caring customer service oriented light builder! Relax your in good hands.I carry my xm-l Alpha everyday .It really is a great light.. Welcome to the club.

Thanks Zandar - and welcome to CPF! I'm kind of a medium range "old timer" around here and have owned many very fine, very expensive lights, and appreciate craftsmanship and quality. I really appreciate your sharing your assessment of Jason. I'm looking forward to enjoying his product and supporting his company!

fourth.gif

Gene43

Enlightened

Jason (Dark Sucks) is a Great Guy! I had the chance to meet and chat with him at last year's SHOT Show. He is very knowledgable and helpful (he will go out of his way on this). First hand experience.

Gene Malkoff

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

I just now saw this thread!!

I think it should be mentioned that Dan has also "pushed me" into buying a few lights, one of them being the Haiku CRI. So now were even!! :D

I imagine that your new Alpha is hitting the mailbox any second!!! :naughty:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just now saw this thread!!

I think it should be mentioned that Dan has also "pushed me" into buying a few lights, one of them being the Haiku CRI. So now were even!! :D

I imagine that your new Alpha is hitting the mailbox any second!!! :naughty:

Mail carrier is running late today....

:popcorn: :sigh:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I turn into a child when unboxing a new toy. This light is AWESOME!! The beam is just about perfect - just barely on the warm side of neutral - bright and floody. Geek that I am, I had to pop it in my sphere - high - 464 lumen - medium - 164 lumen - low - 29 lumen. And my high was after I let it run for 30 seconds, and it matched Jason's rating within 4 lumen.

The construction is just fabulous....not a "I gotta baby this shelf queen" kind of construction, but a "take me out and use me" kind of construction. Yet there's a custom elegance about it that lets you know that this light wasn't made on an assembly line - one craftsman built this thing by hand.

What's this? An instruction sheet? From a custom maker? Really? On a card that will last, and printed in color? And we all already know of the spec sheet that Jason hand scribes to share the vitals of the light. REALLY nice touches.

And I sprung for the "Master's" package...
IMG_7109.JPG

Nice pliers, boot removal tool, Nano oil, XTAR charger package, volt meter, extra o rings, boots, McClicky switch, and an AW 18650 battery. All nicely packaged. Here's some eye candy...
IMG_7111.JPG

Loving Jason's hand stamped "mark of the maker..." :D
IMG_7112.JPG

Love the blue boot - although I have the other colors if I want to enjoy a change...
IMG_7114.JPG

I'm not a clip person, but like McGizmos, this is a very high quality clip. Nice how easy it is to remove - but I may leave this one and attach a lanyard to it
IMG_7116.JPG

I've seen so many lights come and go from my collection that it's pathetic. Yet some have that "Staying power"...Malkoff, McGizmo, Surefire, Spy - and I am certain that this beautiful light will join those other quality tools as permanent fixtures in my home!!

Thanks, Jason! Enjoy your paternity vacation! And thanks, PSM - another outstanding call!!

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Super nice! Good to see these recommended by some of CPF's "heavy hitters". (You know who you are... :D ), The endorsement from Gene at Malkoff, who is one of the KINGS of customer service, and a heckuva nice guy to boot, :bow: should seal the deal for anyone on the fence. I just blew my budget for a bit, but may have to sell a couple of things this coming week... The contents of the Master package looks as high quality as Jason's lights! Nice option to give your purchasers.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Dan, glad to see you are happy with your purchase. These Alpha lights are sweet, unlike anything I've ever had. The more I've used mine, the more I like it. :rock:

Barbarian

Enlightened
^
Those beach shots are always a favorite of mine as well.

Thanks for the heads up Dan. I'll check this light out in the fall when Jason is back at work. I have the Blue Label Light page bookmarked.

fyrstormer

Banned
He still uses MC-Es? How's the beam? MC-Es are harder than hell to focus without a donut hole.

I really wish he'd make a titanium version. I could jump on that. Nickel plated aluminum...I'll damage it someday, and no amount of sanding and polishing and feeling stupid will fix the chipped plating.

It definitely looks nice, though. The blue squishy bits are a nice touch.

CrazyIvan2011

Enlightened
The tint is just great, creamy and slightly warm...and the beam is nothing short of perfect (for me anyway I find). More flood than my Zebralight sc600w. And there is nearly no noticable transition from hotspot to spill...just all usable light!

I havent had chance to use my Alpha much yet, but its already my favorite beam.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
All, I posted a stand alone mini-review in the LED section HERE

run4jc, re your latest Alpha, which LED did you get?

Bill

The "makers choice", 4500K MCE. :naughty:

PSM is correct - I figured if it was Jason's choice and PSM's choice, it'd be good for me!

I really wish he'd make a titanium version. I could jump on that. Nickel plated aluminum...I'll damage it someday, and no amount of sanding and polishing and feeling stupid will fix the chipped plating.
It definitely looks nice, though. The blue squishy bits are a nice touch.

Jason addresses the lack of a titanium host on his web site. I won't re-state his reasoning, but I understand it - his web site is really informative and interesting! Meanwhile, I know that I'll probably drop and scratch mine, but so be it. When you feel how quickly this thing heats up and look at the way the head almost 'bonds' with the body when you screw the head on, you know that the copper sleeve around the light engine and the aluminum components are doing their job and wicking the heat away. I may be wiling to stick with aluminum on this one!

And it just "screams" quality. And it looks cool, to boot. I had to make the reflector my avator...:naughty:

He still uses MC-Es? How's the beam? MC-Es are harder than hell to focus without a donut hole.
The tint is just great, creamy and slightly warm...and the beam is nothing short of perfect (for me anyway I find). More flood than my Zebralight sc600w. And there is nearly no noticable transition from hotspot to spill...just all usable light!

I havent had chance to use my Alpha much yet, but its already my favorite beam.

I agree with CrazyIvan2011's assessment. My typical goal is to not deal in absolutes, but this may be the best beam I've ever seen. From 2 or so inches out, you will see NO artifacts. The beam is floody, but still gets out there. The tint of this 4500k MCE is SO good - SO easy to absorb with your eyes. :crazy: And CrazyIvan2011 is right also when he says "nearly no noticeable transition from hotspot to spill...."

It's that good.