Bedstand light

fhapgood

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a light I can use inside in the middle of the night without disturbing anybody. It should be
small -- not more than 3" -- and have at least two settings on low: low and lower. (I would almost never
need to have it on high, though it would be nice to have a high setting in case I need to look under a piece
of furniture. I have another light ready to go if I hear something out back; what I am looking for now is
exclusively an inside light) . I would need a click or maybe a switch interface; in any case, definitely not a
twisty. I need to be able to switch between settings quickly and with one hand. Should support a lanyard.

Is there a name for this type of application?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight and FourSevens Quarks have closely spaced low modes, with very long runtimes, suitable for what you are asking... perhaps HDS as well as it is programmable.

For one handed switching, the ZL will be better than the Quark (I have a Quark AAX tactical in that role set to 0.3/3 lms). How about the new H502 or SC 80 for all regulated levels.

samuraishot

Enlightened
I recently acquired a Muyshondt Mako 2 stage flood that I had planned on using as a backup keychain light.

I used it once as a nightstand light and since then it hasn't returned to keychain duty.

It is a twisty, however, I always use it one-handed to turn it on and to switch between modes. The tint is more neutral, which in my opinion, is much better than a cool tint for middle of the night use since it's easy on the eyes.

Honestly, I thought I wouldn't like it since it's a twisty, but now I've grown to appreciate it since it's as silent as it can get.

Edit: By the way, it comes on the lower setting first, then when the head is twisted further it goes to the low setting.

Last edited:

Danielight

Enlightened
Any particular reason you don't want a twisty light? The Thrunite Ti "firefly" mode would be excellent as a bedstand light. It has two modes: low of 0.04 lumen, and high of 60 lumens. One of the nice features about this light is that you don't have to twist it back off from low in order to twist again for high. And this little AAA light can be purchased for $16!

Ezeriel

Enlightened
I am looking for a light I can use inside in the middle of the night without disturbing anybody. It should be
small -- not more than 3" -- and have at least two settings on low: low and lower. (I would almost never
need to have it on high, though it would be nice to have a high setting in case I need to look under a piece
of furniture. I have another light ready to go if I hear something out back; what I am looking for now is
exclusively an inside light) . I would need a click or maybe a switch interface; in any case, definitely not a
twisty. I need to be able to switch between settings quickly and with one hand. Should support a lanyard.

Is there a name for this type of application?

If you are willing to spend the money, the zebralight h502 looks unbeatable

Fenix LD10/LD12 is a sweet AA light (it's more than 3 inches)

a Hypetac p1a is an excellent little AAA clicky, kinda iffy for the lanyard, but you could rig something. (it's 4 inches, pencil thin)

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
I keep my "old" Sunwayman V10R on my nightstand with a 16340 in it (so it's very short and compact... right around 3"). I keep it on the lowest setting and it's very dim when used at night, which is good if I wake up and need to use it right away.

From all of my other lights, I mainly went with this because it's small, has a push-button tail cap switch that's also momentary, and I can adjust the ring on the front to pretty much any brightness up to around 460ish OTF lumens which is extremely bright inside of a dark house, regardless how big the room is. Plus, that infinite adjustable ring lets me set the amount of light that I want if I need to look around for something.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^ Downside of IV lights is that they have about 1/10th the runtime of a ZL or Quark at sub-lumen levels.