Need good D size rechargeables LSD preferrably

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got me a few surplus lamps that take 8 D size cells each and I have to so I need a good source
for 16 batteries and also, I think LSD batteries would be the best choice for storage, right?

Linky please (if possible)

Thanks

George

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you store the batteries for more than 6 months than lsd ones are better.

Tenergy batteries seem to best really good for the money. The Centuras (lsd) are very good and hove a very low internal resistance (better when you want to use them in high power applications). They can be had from multiple vendors. I recommend all-battery(dot)com.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is a flashlight considered high power application?

I bought accu evolution a few years ago in c cells.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure your lanterns will work off NiMH, with their lower voltage, I tried to use them in my florescent lantern, it wouldn't fire up on full brightness with NiMH. with alkalines, worked fine.
Not all are like that, only 1 out of 3 lanterns I have doesn't like nimh, it happens to be rayovac dual tube 8d lantern.
I second tenergy advice, good cells, I have not tried centura, but I tried their blue d cells and also premium cells.
Premiums are picky about chargers, 2 smart chargers I have 1 and 2a will not charge them fully, they terminate charge at 1\4 soc. blue ones don't do that.
To charge them fully you either need dumb charger, and time the process, or use 0.5a or less setting on smart charger, but it'll take about 30 hours to charge.

Last edited:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, the regular tenergy or the premium ones and which have lower self discharge?

Thanks

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, the regular tenergy or the premium ones and which have lower self discharge?

Thanks

They are both normal NiMHs. The Premiums have a higher capacity and an even lower internal resistance. The lsd batteries form tenergy are called "Centura". The Centuras are only worth it of you store the cells for a long time like over 6 months. If you only store them for a few weeks at a time than the premiums will still have a higher capacity.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is a flashlight considered high power application?

I bought accu evolution a few years ago in c cells.

I wouldn't buy those cells anymore. See why in this thread. THey must have changed the cell manufacturer or something like that.

The Tenergys have been tested recently. Check out the Varapower Turbio thread over in fnf. A few posts down he also talks about the c cell centuras.

I would consider most flashlights with 0.5 to 3A drive current medium power devices. I would consider them to be unsuitable for alkaline batteries. A high/extreme power flashlight would be my Varapower Turbo. It pulls up to 15A out the c cells.

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its good that you've come here to the battery forum to ask for good rechargeable D batteries, but the fact that you also ask us for a good source of LSD is appalling! So I guess you needed the batteries for your light so you could go take your "trip" at some park after dark? Just say NO to drugs, as Nancy Reagan once said.....LOL

Just kidding!

I dont have any LSD type D batteries, but I've read that the Tenergy Centura batteries are good. I dont know how well they hold up in the long run vs. Eneloops, but I dont think Sanyo makes Eneloop D's anyway, so the Centuras are probably your best bet for now.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its good that you've come here to the battery forum to ask for good rechargeable D batteries, but the fact that you also ask us for a good source of LSD is appalling! So I guess you needed the batteries for your light so you could go take your "trip" at some park after dark? Just say NO to drugs, as Nancy Reagan once said.....LOL

It could have been worse, I could have been asking about bath salts. Think about it. Right now, I could be sitting here drooling, thinking about nibbling on your ear or your nose...hmm, the nibbling on your ear came out a little gay.
No offense to anyone that's gay and likes to nibble on ears though, I'm just sayin'

I had a gf years ago that liked to rub my ear lobes between her fingers. Highly irritating $hit!

Anyway, I could be sitting here thinking about how I was going to chew your nose off...yum, yum so yeah, don't go poking a sleeping bear... :D

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are both normal NiMHs. The Premiums have a higher capacity and an even lower internal resistance. The lsd batteries form tenergy are called "Centura". The Centuras are only worth it of you store the cells for a long time like over 6 months. If you only store them for a few weeks at a time than the premiums will still have a higher capacity.

So, if I charge them regularly, just stick with the regular ones?
By the way, the premiums are listed at the same capacity as the regular ones on the site, both 10,000mAh

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
theoretically yes, but price difference is so small, and not even in favor of regulars, (actually blue ones are most expencive, lsd are cheapest), on all battery site. so go with centura lsd.
might not use benefits of lsd, but it wont hurt.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just be aware of the shortcomings of D Eneloops.

Norm

The cells we are talking about here are real d cell NiMHs. They do not have little rechargeables inside. They would never be able to have 10000mAh if that was the case. These Tenergys are high performance rechargeables. I personally discharge my c cell centuras (4000mAh) at 15A and they work great. The d cells can deliver even more current.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, if I charge them regularly, just stick with the regular ones?
By the way, the premiums are listed at the same capacity as the regular ones on the site, both 10,000mAh

Yes, but they definitely have a higher capacity. If this isn't critical to you (5-10% runtime difference) than there is no need to buy them. The Centuras definitely have less intial capacity than the other two though.

I would get centuars if your not using the lights all the time (like every day).

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, probably a better choice considering how slack I am with recharging my stuff :(

Thanks guys

George

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also vote for the Centura. Price and availability being the main factor but they don't have an issue with a 2.5A discharge.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Powerex Imedion 9500mah LSD D-cells. Made by the same manufacturer of the Maha C9000 chargers.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
tatasal, what's the word on those cells?

I've got their charger by the way.

Whoa, I just looked them up, expensive...

Last edited:

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
tatasal, what's the word on those cells?

I've got their charger by the way.

Whoa, I just looked them up, expensive...

I use them for my TK70. I'm very satisfied with it, though I don't have other brands to compare it with. I just emailed Maha energy to ask if it consists of 4 AA cells wrapped in one big D cell. Eric Cheng of Maha says it's one big cell. I bought it because, as they say,
'Being poor, I cannot afford to buy cheap" ! Maybe someday Eneloop might have their 'true', one-piece D cell.