My 1st Real Light & Collection - Batteries & Chargers / Recommended Lights for Kids

JC-Preps

Newly Enlightened
My 1st Real Light & Collection - Batteries & Chargers / Recommended Lights for Kids

After many hours of searching, I've decided on my 1st "real" light as a Klarus XT11.

What I need recommendation(s) on are for batteries & chargers.

I currently only own Energizer 1.2V NiMH batteries...and I'm brand new to CPF and "non NiMH batteries". :)
(and a secondary question - can I use these Energizer 2300 mAh AA's and 850 mAh AAA's in other, non XT11 "AA" and "AAA" flashlights? - like the Quark AA's, etc.?)

As far as the XT11 - Please recommend good batteries & charging system. (I'm not looking for the lowest cost...but something that will last for decades and also get the most life out of my batteries) I guess I'm looking for a few different options from you all as I'm not looking to spend $500 on a charger at this point. (although I probably will want to after learning more here on CPF and buying more & more flashlights)
:)

What I'm really looking for is some kind of standard that I can have several batteries as backups. (In preparation for long term camping trips, or even long term power outages) Later in 2012 or 2013 I will also be buying a solar powered unit (to 120 AC) so that I can be sure all of my flashlight & other batteries would be able to be charged - even away from "grid power".

Are there charger systems that charge both CR123's and 18650's? If not, which of those batteries one is more popular? (My understanding is that I should not use "RCR"'s with the XT11?)
(I'm willing to sacrifice some throw to gain battery life, but I'm most interested in the battery choice being as "universal" as possible - for powering other things besides just flashlights, etc.)

I hope that all makes sense - and I look forward to your help! :)

I need a few recommendations to help round out my beginner flashlight collection:

I personally am getting a Klarus XT11.

I need recommendations for my wife, as well as for my 3 children. (ages 3, 5, and 7)
(Mostly for camping, power outages, etc.)

For my children, I had been looking at the Fenix E01. I like that they come in different colors, are low cost, run on batteries a I have a lot of, and I also like that they won't blind my children. (no matter how many times I teach them not to shine in their own or other people's eyes...they're still going to do it several dozen times in the coming few years)

Are there any other choices for my kids that I should consider?

As far as for my wife...I figure that over time she'll just use whatever light I am not using/carrying myself...but we currently only have a 3D Maglite. Considering I'm getting the Klarus XT11, what other lights, somewhere between the Fenix E01's and the Klarus XT11, would be a good "middle ground" flashlight for us? (Ideally something a little smaller than the 3D Maglite...which seems to be more of a clubbing tool...)(
(and please recommend batteries to go with whatever recommendations you suggest)

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, you can use 1.2v NiMh in anything that will take normal AA or AAA. CR123 refers to non-rechargeable (disposable) 3V lithium batts, while RCR123/16340 refers to rechargeable 3.7V lithium ions of the same size. Make sure you read up on Li-ions on the battery section as they can be dangerous if mishandled. Its better to run a single cell 18650 instead of a dual cell 16340 set-up in your light - less change of imbalance, higher capacity and less charging hassles. Check out Cottonpickers Li-ion chargers in the marketplace - super small and portable, switchable charge levels, fits and batt size, and includes a voltmeter which is a necessity with Li-ions.

Ezeriel

Enlightened
Re: My 1st Real Light & Collection - Batteries & Chargers / Recommended Lights for Ki

Umm.. rechargable NiMHs AA/AAA batteries are all the same.. as far as I know.

for the 18650 battery, get a "protected" one.. whatever that means.. (i'm an AA/AAA only guy, so I dunno)

...and not to scare you off from buying the Klarus XT11, but it doesn't strike me as much of a camping light.
10 lumens for 295 hours.. yeah.. I take it back.. that's nice for camping. Make your own little diffuser thingy to set the light in/on ;)

but you might also want to consider a multi-mode light with a 20 or 50 lumen range, like a zebralight h502

Last edited:

JC-Preps

Newly Enlightened
Re: My 1st Real Light & Collection - Batteries & Chargers / Recommended Lights for Ki

(i'm an AA/AAA only guy, so I dunno)

Tell me more about that...I originally started only looking at AA/AAA as I have a LOT of them, including 3 chargers, etc.
(I just fell in love w/ the XT11 after watching dozens of reviews on different lights)

...and not to scare you off from buying the Klarus XT11, but it doesn't strike me as much of a camping light.
10 lumens for 295 hours.. yeah.. I take it back.. that's nice for camping. Make your own little diffuser thingy to set the light in/on ;)

but you might also want to consider a multi-mode light with a 20 or 50 lumen range, like a zebralight h502

I definitely appreciate your advice. The XT11 is really my "multi-purpose" light, but blinding an intruder in my house is probably highest on the priority list. (for that one)

I'll check out the h502 to see if that's a good fit to further round out our beginner flashlight collection. (Camping is definitely something we're starting to do more of...so the 20-50 lumen range multi-mode makes a lot of sense)

JC-Preps

Newly Enlightened

I didn't get as much feedback as I expected...but here's what I ended up choosing (all currently on it's way to my house):

1 Klarus XT11 (bedside/security/tactical light...for intruders into my home)
1 Sunwayman M10A XM-L T6 (for EDC)
3 Fenix X01's (for my kids to learn flashlight/torch etiquette...then will upgrade them)
4 Redilast 3100mAh Lithium-ion 18650's
1 case of Surefire CR123's (will be stored in the Klarus if I'm not regularly using it...I imagine they're going into "prepping/emergency storage" and I'll use the 18650's for daily usage)
1 Pila IBC charger
1 Mastech MS8268 Digital AC/DC Auto/Manual Range Digital Multimeter

Jeez...the above represents a few dozen hours of my life in researching...I hope they're all a good fit! (I probably watched about 30-40 of Marshall's videos (goinggear)...and some of those I watched 3-4 times each)

I probably still need something like a Zebra or headset for camping...but we'll see how the above goes as a start. (I originally wanted to stick with AA/AAA torches...but had to go for the 18650's/CR123's as I just couldn't resist the Klarus XT11)

If you have any suggestions at all...I'm all ears!