18650's Dropped In a Lake - Can I trust them?

Yadao

Newly Enlightened
I was out fishing yesterday on a lake and had two spare AW 18650 3100MaH batteries in my pocket. I was standing up on a rock over the water when I went to get something out of my pocket. The batteries got caught up, came flying out, then fell into about 2 feet deep of water. They were in a case but it popped open.

I went in after them and got them out within 30 seconds or so. I dried them on my shirt and blew the water out of the cavity near the + terminal then set them out to air dry.

They still work in my light and are reading their usual voltage when tested with a meter. I have yet to put them on the charger.

Does anyone have any tips? Can I trust them?

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was out fishing yesterday on a lake and had two spare AW 18650 3100MaH batteries in my pocket. I was standing up on a rock over the water when I went to get something out of my pocket. The batteries got caught up, came flying out, then fell into about 2 feet deep of water. They were in a case but it popped open.

I went in after them and got them out within 30 seconds or so. I dried them on my shirt and blew the water out of the cavity near the + terminal then set them out to air dry.

They still work in my light and are reading their usual voltage when tested with a meter. I have yet to put them on the charger.

Does anyone have any tips? Can I trust them?

If the protection circuit didn't short already then they should be fine. But dump the batteries into a sealed bag of dry rice for a few days to suck out any residual moisture. Then test them for overheating/shorts in a throw away flashlight until you're confident they work fine.

That's what I would do IMO.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or you could use an actual bag of silica gel desiccant which is far better at absorbing moisture than dry rice....twenty-four hours should be enough but you could always leave it in for a few days to be sure. The batteries should be fine though, the pressure release seal should have kept any water out of the electrolyte.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlights and batteries can take a lot of punishment, but when they get wet..... In good weather I put mine on the patio roof in full sun for about a week, bringing them in at night. AW batteries are well made and will probably dry out and be fine. Just be sure they are dry.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
With these voltages, there should not even have been electrical connection in water.

let dry --> done