Olympia Products

Thread: 18650's Dropped In a Lake - Can I trust them?

Shrug 18650's Dropped In a Lake - Can I trust them?

I was out fishing yesterday on a lake and had two spare AW 18650 3100MaH batteries in my pocket. I was standing up on a rock over the water when I went to get something out of my pocket. The batteries got caught up, came flying out, then fell into about 2 feet deep of water. They were in a case but it popped open.

I went in after them and got them out within 30 seconds or so. I dried them on my shirt and blew the water out of the cavity near the + terminal then set them out to air dry.

They still work in my light and are reading their usual voltage when tested with a meter. I have yet to put them on the charger.

Does anyone have any tips? Can I trust them?

Default Re: 18650's Dropped In a Lake - Can I trust them?

Quote Originally Posted by Yadao View Post
    I was out fishing yesterday on a lake and had two spare AW 18650 3100MaH batteries in my pocket. I was standing up on a rock over the water when I went to get something out of my pocket. The batteries got caught up, came flying out, then fell into about 2 feet deep of water. They were in a case but it popped open.

I went in after them and got them out within 30 seconds or so. I dried them on my shirt and blew the water out of the cavity near the + terminal then set them out to air dry.

They still work in my light and are reading their usual voltage when tested with a meter. I have yet to put them on the charger.

Does anyone have any tips? Can I trust them?
    If the protection circuit didn't short already then they should be fine. But dump the batteries into a sealed bag of dry rice for a few days to suck out any residual moisture. Then test them for overheating/shorts in a throw away flashlight until you're confident they work fine.

That's what I would do IMO.

Or you could use an actual bag of silica gel desiccant which is far better at absorbing moisture than dry rice....twenty-four hours should be enough but you could always leave it in for a few days to be sure. The batteries should be fine though, the pressure release seal should have kept any water out of the electrolyte.

Flashlights and batteries can take a lot of punishment, but when they get wet..... In good weather I put mine on the patio roof in full sun for about a week, bringing them in at night. AW batteries are well made and will probably dry out and be fine. Just be sure they are dry.

Flashaholic*

With these voltages, there should not even have been electrical connection in water.

let dry --> done