2D to 3C Maglite question

aL01

Newly Enlightened
I'm getting a 3-4D XM-L 700 Lumen Malkoff Drop-in, but I want to use it with my 2D Mag with 3C cells, alkaline for awhile...until I can afford 3C NiMH's and a charger-

Will my output be 700 Lumens or close to it?

Does the switch need to be modified?

Is it just simply cutting some PVC, modding the spring, and adding 3 C cells, or am I missing something that is very obvious to the more informed?

Thanks-

Last edited:

JamisonM

Enlightened
I highly doubt you'll get 700lm. Using 3C in a 2D maglite only requires you cut a piece of 1" PVC to length and modifying the spring. Pretty simple. Here's the tailcap from one of my 3D maglites. I've also seen others where the spring was turn upside down and even cut down and recessed in the bottom of the tailcap after the anodizing had been removed.
4102276614_a537bcfe35.jpg

aL01

Newly Enlightened
JamisonM-

Cool, thank-you...

How many lumens do you think it will output?

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for what Jamison said.

The mod is simple. You dont have to work on the switch unless you just want to lower the resistance for slightly higher output. Alkaline cells are really just not up to the task of powering an LED like this. On 3 C alks at the 1 second mark it will be high, but by about the 30 second mark your going to be looking at around 400 ish lumens is my guess.

The only XML mags I ever sold that the buyer had strict intentions of running on alks were a 4 and 6 D cell. Even 3 D cell alks would only power it to about 2-2.3A if I recall right.

This is just my opinion but when you do get your NIMH cells I suggest saving a few extra dollars to get a good set. It makes a difference. My personal favorite are the Accupower LSD C cells. I have driven lights to 13+ amps on 3 of these. They carry a load well, and they are always charged when you come back to them. About the only draw back is you have to buy them in a 2 pack.

Good luck.

CMAG

Enlightened
IF you have not ordered yet I would go for the 6 cell drop in, tail cap mod and 2x 26650 or 2x32650

aL01

Newly Enlightened
IF you have not ordered yet I would go for the 6 cell drop in, tail cap mod and 2x 26650 or 2x32650

That is an idea....but Gene doesn't have a 700 lumen 6 cell drop-in (yet)-

Last edited:

aL01

Newly Enlightened
How are ou attaching the thinner C-cell drop-in in the wider D-cell host?

I'm using a 3-4D cell drop-in in a 2D Maglite with 3 alkaline or NiMH C cells-