Recommendations for Lowest Priced CR123A Batteries

muddywolf

Newly Enlightened
I just bought the Fenix PD30 flashlight.

It takes 2 CR123A batteries.

I might have rethought the purchase if I knew the prices on these batteries.

Can someone recommend a low cost place to buy good quality CR123A batteries?

Buying locally is not an option my local supermarket had an energizer 2 pack for 11.99:thumbsdow

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Mike_TX

Enlightened
Try batteryjunction.com. They have 123's for as low as $1.

Shadowww

Banned
Also illuminationsupply, they have Rayovac's (same Panasonic-made cell as Duracell Ultra, Energizer and SureFire CR123's) for $1.5/each.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
......they have Rayovac's (same Panasonic-made cell as Duracell Ultra, Energizer and SureFire CR123's)

Hey Shadowww. I just thought I should point out that the Panasonic manufacturing facility in Arkansas makes cells to the customer's order. They don't just relabel Panasonic cells. This means that they aren't necessarily the same cell. The quality is the same, but cell performance may actually differ, depending on the formulation requested by the customer.

Just a FYI note.:)

Dave

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

Buying locally is not an option my local supermarket had an energizer 2 pack for 11.99:thumbsdow

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I have seen CR123's for sale at grocery stores for between $5.59-$11.29 apiece! That IS NOT the way to buy them obviously.......

But you also dont want to buy the crappy cheap Chinese brands of CR123's or any other Li or Li Ion batteries. Avoid Trustfire, Ultrafire, Soshine, etc. However, there IS one brand of Chinese CR123's that have repeatedly gotten good reviews, and are consistently good. I am talking about the "Titanium Innovations" brand batteries available at batteryjunction.com. They are also very inexpensive at only $1 apiece. I have been using them for 10 months now with no problems and they last easily as long as Energizer CR123's.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Light Junction is selling the Stellar brand CR123 cells for less than a buck and they look similar to Titanium Innovations. I've no idea if they are the same or only made to look similar. I've had good results with Titanium cells, but haven't bought any in three years. Those I still have are still good.

CMAG

Enlightened
Search ebay and amazon I have found SF 12 packs some from medical supply places are priced better.
the $1 cells dont last as long as rated under higher loads there is a good thread in the batt section on 123a cells
Any way if compatable get your self some AW icr 123 and a charger will save $ and you leave home with a full 750MA better than 1400ma of is it going dead soon primary
I keep primary's for back up or emergancy lamps only

Last edited:

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
I was buying from Battery Station. Cells are of solid quality and it's 50 batteries for $60 for forum members. It's a lot of money to shovel out, but they store for 10 years and I'm a fan of stocking up on stuff anyway, especially something that would aid my survival in times of disaster.

Here ya go :thumbsup:

901-Memphis

Enlightened
Panasonic 123s off battery junction dot com are the best bang for the buck IMHO..... If you value quality as well as price.

dmkatz76

Newly Enlightened
Hey Shadowww. I just thought I should point out that the Panasonic manufacturing facility in Arkansas makes cells to the customer's order. They don't just relabel Panasonic cells. This means that they aren't necessarily the same cell. The quality is the same, but cell performance may actually differ, depending on the formulation requested by the customer.

Just a FYI note.:)

Dave

Dave - thanks for the explanation - now I understand why the Rayovacs/Energizers are rated at 1400Mah and the Surefire/Panasonic/Duracells at 1550.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, that could mean several things. It could simply be that the capacity was determined at a different discharge rate, for instance. Or it could be that different formulations are better at high (or low) current rates, or some have a longer shelf life etc. We'll likely never know as the specific formulations used are proprietary information, naturally. The only way to get a hint of the differences between the various "brands", is through testing. At that, the cells would have to be the same age, have been stored under the same conditions, and tested under the same conditions, as well.

I was buying from Battery Station. Cells are of solid quality

Although not initially, for the past several years Battery Station's cells have also been produced at the Panasonic facility in Arkansas. Again though, these are likely not just relabeled Panasonic cells, but BS's own requested formulation.

Dave

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been very happy with Rayovacs lately. Not only for CR123s, but as replacements for my AA and AAA cells as well. Just as good as Energizer or Duracell IMO.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?67078-123-Battery-Shoot-Out

Proof that cheap does not = good. Some $1 batteries have half the capacity of a $2 battery, so the $1 batteries aren't as cheap as you may think they are.

Its important to point out that the thread and test you linked there was from 2004, and the titanium batteries have tested very well in every other more recent test I've seen. I've been using them more than any other brand for 10 months now, with no problems and they last as long as any others I've used. He pointed out there in 2004 that the maker changed their formula and improved them.

I will keep using them as my every day go-to batteries, but I also keep about 8 extra Panasonic, Surefire, Energizer CR123 batteries in my Pelican case.

Last edited:

atxlight

Newly Enlightened
Well since jezdec bumped the thread, I just throw in the 40 pack of Tenergy CR123 - available on Amazon for $42. Not sure if these fall in the cheap chinese brand category (they probably do, but Tenergy is based in CA?) but so far they have been great and I've had no issues. $1.07 per battery.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was buying from Battery Station. Cells are of solid quality and it's 50 batteries for $60 for forum members. It's a lot of money to shovel out, but they store for 10 years and I'm a fan of stocking up on stuff anyway, especially something that would aid my survival in times of disaster.

Here ya go :thumbsup:

I just ordered 2 of there 24 CR123/pelican case combos. One for me and one for the flashlight I am giving away in the CPF X-mas give away!

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Where in the world do you live? This might effect the answers to your question.

You don't state in your profile and you didn't put any £ or $ or euro sign on you 11.99 so it's had to work out??

Anyway, if you are from the UK look at 7dayshop.com