Safety issues with Sunwayman V60C T60CS - charging ends exposed

CPFBiology

Enlightened
Anyone own these lights? The charging end is exposed, is it a safety issue with metals or coins? They look really interesting and the charging base is pretty cool, but I hope I am not being over-reactive with this.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
I have one. Its annoying. No safety issue, as it is pretty recessed, and its not a light you can carry in a pocket with keys or something.

What is annoying is that mine corroded while it was in water, especially the tiny screws. Those are now stuck, i already stripped the hex by trying to remove them.

Now the battery carrier has a piece of duct tape at the bottom to de-power the charging connector.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Can you measure Voltage across the terminals?

It not uncommon to have exposed terminals on various devices, they are usually protected and no Voltage is measurable at the terminal, so it presents no safety problem.

Norm

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
It not uncommon to have exposed terminals on various devices, they are usually protected and no Voltage is measurable at the terminal, so it presents no safety problem.
That's true, but they aren't protected in this case - both terminals are exposed, as I discuss in my new T60CS review.

Sunwayman has taken steps to reducing this shorting risk, by recessing the inner (positive) terminal by about half a centimeter relative to the outer (negative terminal). But you could still potentially short over this short distance (e.g., with keys, as pointed out above).

I understand that the carrier has built-in fuse to protect against a catastrophic short. But I wouldn't want to rely on that. And in any case, it would destroy the carrier - you would need to get a replacement.

Simple solution is to just fashion a small plug to cover the recessed inner contact. I recommend Sunwayman do this, but the end user could also do it easily enough with typical materials on hand (i.e., a little electrical tape, plastic, rubber - maybe PlayDoh anyone? :rolleyes:). Just takes a few seconds to completely remove the risk.

UPDATE July 16, 2012: I expressed this concern to Sunwayman, and they inform me that they are working on such a plug for the T60CS.

Last edited: