Help with fixing a small, two LEDs board

Motish

Newly Enlightened
Hi all.

I have a lighting fixture that includes 6 LEDs in couples
they are aranged in a nice plastic base and look like this:

20120707183125.jpg

this unit can easly be connected or disconnected from two wires, you can see how is is done from its opposite side (I've removed the board from its plastic base):

20120707173952.jpg

after using them for about a month, one led is flashing and the others are not working.
I need help with fixing those units because I cant find replacements here. I found them online but only in USA and no-one will send them over.

on the board itself I can see written next to the LEDs: "JD1W LED". So I assume they are 1w :)

I dont know where can I get these kind of small LEDs. coulnd'nt find searching ebay. any help with that would be appreciated.
I have a soldering iron and some tin.
I also can get my hands on a volt/amper meter from work. I don't know why the leds stoped working, I believe that maybe the volt supplied by the lighting fixture is too large and there are no sufficiant resistors.

please tell me what to do and how can I replace the LEDs and fix them so they wont be ruine again.

here is a side view and a front view without the plastic base:

20120707174009.jpg

20120707173901.jpg

thanks in advance and I hope someone will be able to help.

Last edited:

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
Those square 4 pin LEDs are known as "piranha" LEDs, don't know if that was someone's trademark originally but now there are any number of versions available on ebay. Never tried them, so can't comment on which ones are good and which aren't.

Have you tried just powering each board individually, to track down that it is indeed the "flashing" LED's board (and/or LED) that is the issue?

[EDIT] After a little googling, seems the Piranha package is a copy of the Phillips Lumileds "SuperFlux"; so it could possibly be a Lumileds SuperFlux, or an unknown Piranha. Post up any info you have on the make, model etc of the light.

Last edited:

Motish

Newly Enlightened
It is a Chinese make. The company is Odyssea and the model is Quad 90T.
To be honest, I don't think there is a lot of info on this specific model, and the company is not famous with its durable products.
I once saw an identical lighting fixture with a diffent brand name... so I don't think the model name can lead to significant information.

Going to look for those LEDs online now... :rolleyes:

[edit] thinking of getting this one:
www.ebay.com/itm/50-pcs-Flat-Top-Pi...=458166475637652534&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=1&

would it be OK ?

Last edited:

Motish

Newly Enlightened
anyone?
I really need to know what to do to prevent this from happening again.

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
As I said, have you tried directly testing each LED board by supplying power to the two pins (where the wires connected)? No point trying to replace the LEDs if you haven't actually found the root problem.

RE: the LEDs you linked, I assume they are supposed to be blue, not white? Also, the ones you link are flat-topped, your pictures seem to show a dome-top, not sure exactly what effect it would have on the beam, but do be aware that they are different (eg. it may be either more floody or more spotty than your old LEDs, can't find any data on flat-vs-domed piranhas to know what the beam effect is)

Motish

Newly Enlightened
As I said, have you tried directly testing each LED board by supplying power to the two pins (where the wires connected)? No point trying to replace the LEDs if you haven't actually found the root problem.

Don't know how I missed that part. anyway, I just tried to connect one board to 12v and no light emmitted. nothing.
I also connected a LED string with somthing like 20 LEDs to the 2 wires coming out of the lighting fixture and they worked!

after rechecking, my leds are flat-top (compared to photos online). I also forgot to mention they were blue, I'de rather find 450-455 nm but 460-465 will be fine.
So should I just replace them? won't the new ones just have the same problem?

Thanks very much for your help RoGuE.

Last edited:

flutterbug

Newly Enlightened
Hi I also have a light fixture from Odyssea with the same LEDs. Mine also aren't working. They sent me replacements and they also died out the same night they were installed. The company has ignored all correspondences since. I even tried ordering the replacement bulbs they sell on their website and they cancelled my order and refunded my money with no e-mail or anything to let me know about it. I only know because I saw the money returned to my account. So there is no chance they will help me with this. Have you figured out how to repair them? If so I would appreciate any info on repairing them. I am concerned it may be the LED driver causing the problem since the lights worked for a short time then flashed before burning out.

Motish

Newly Enlightened
I didn't manage to fix them but I found alternative solution. I will take some pictures later when I'm back home and show you what I did.
By the way, I even tried to replace the LEDs by purchasing individual LEDs from ebay and weld them to that small electric board instead of the existed ones. It worked for one day.
I thought to myself it might be that its getting to hot from the t5 bulbs, but I saw an older version of 4 light bulbs fixture with no timer and same amount of LEDs and it doesn't have this problem.

flutterbug

Newly Enlightened
I'd love to see what your solution is. I was hoping to just find an easy fix.