SunwayLED

Thread: Quick question xp-c

Flashaholic*

Default Quick question xp-c

Quick question, how old is the cree xp-c ? Looking at a light with a xp-c
    I am not looking for the latest such as xml but is the xp-c still worth getting ? This would be 3AA pulling about .5 amp Not looking for brightness but runtime. This is 1 level light.
    Appreciated

Default Re: Quick question xp-c

Check the specs - should have stated runtimes. My ssc p4 (older led) mag lite runs for dozens of hours on 3x AA, slowly dimming.
    My biggest light-hog is my camera.

The XP-C is the smallest of the XP family, behind the larger XP-E and much larger XP-G. I'm not sure when it was first released, but its not very good on most fronts--its rated current maximum is .5A, and highest bin is Q5 (which is about 20% dimmer than the highest XP-E at comparable drive current, and even further behind an R5 or S2 XP-G). (The one advantage is that, when overdriven, it has crazy surface brightness and, consequently, throw. See the DEFT-EDC for an example).

Judging from the battery configuration and single mode, I'm guessing that the light is direct-drive. Coupled with the slightly higher Vf of the XP-C relative to the other XP models (to say nothing of the sub-3V-XM-Ls), this light will have slightly lower runtime than many lights with larger/more expensive emitter, but runtimes will be more dependent on the batteries you choose, since internal resistance comes into play with direct drive.
    If its a linear reg driver, then all runtimes will be identical, as Vf does not come into play. Doesn't matter how bright it is.

The XPC is somewhat underrated in that die to primary optic makes it one of the best CD/lumen leds for torches