• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Contact issue with CR123 cells in Peak Logan (Gen 2 QTC pill)

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased my first Peak Logan from Oveready and have been trying it out over the past week. I have the long, stainless steel 123 body with momentary, the Nichia 219 emitter, and generation 2 pill.

Here is the problem:
If I use a CR123 primary, it works fine when I twist the bezel and it ramps up fairly smoothly. But using the momentary switch is very difficult. In fact, I can try pressing the momentary switch as hard as possible, but I can't ever reach maximum output. But with an AW IMR16340 cell, using the momentary switch is not a problem.

After much experimenting and looking at the light's components, here is where I think the problem is...
The negative contact on an IMR cell is nearly flush with the sides, but CR123 cells are not flush and the negative contact is slightly recessed. Becaused it's recessed, it prevents the full compression of the QTC pill. It would seem that if the hexagonal piece of metal in the QTC pill was slightly taller, it would solve the problem.

Have others on here had the same experience? If my explanation wasn't real clear, I can try posting pictures or video tomorrow.

Thanks,
Robert

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your assessment might be correct. Here's what might help. Try tightening the head just before the light turns on, then try the momentary. It might not work but it's worth a try. :)

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your assessment might be correct. Here's what might help. Try tightening the head just before the light turns on, then try the momentary. It might not work but it's worth a try. :)

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately, it didn't seem to help. The problem isn't that the momentary switch isn't able to reach far enough, it's that once the bottom of the primary cell is pressing against the pill, it can't put any more force on the metal hexagonal piece to further compress the QTC material.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not the battery dimensions. It's the batteries. The 16340, being a higher voltage is sending more current through the qtc. This allows the led to receive full voltage where the primary can't. The same thing would happen regardless of whether you had a momentary switch. You would have to turn the head harder on a primary to receive the same light output simply due to the starting voltage of the battery.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not the battery dimensions. It's the batteries. The 16340, being a higher voltage is sending more current through the qtc. This allows the led to receive full voltage where the primary can't. The same thing would happen regardless of whether you had a momentary switch. You would have to turn the head harder on a primary to receive the same light output simply due to the starting voltage of the battery.

I understand what you saying regarding the voltage differences, but I'm pretty sure this problem is with the battery dimensions, not voltage. I tested this theory by placing a small magnet on the bottom of a CR123 primary cell so that the battery would no longer be concave on the bottom. With the magnetic spacer in place, there was no problem reaching full brightness with the momentary switch.

Unfortunately, this was not a long term solution as the bezel would barely thread onto the body with the magnet attached to the bottom of the CR123.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
If worse comes to worst you can send it back to Peak. If it can't be addressed they'll replace it with a new body.

gunga

Flashaholic
There is the old style momentary and the new style. The new style is shorter with a solid end. The old style is longer with a hollow end (since it originally housed a spring before qtc). Try getting the old style. It may help.

MugzillainManilla

Newly Enlightened
Hi. I realize this is an old thread but I just picked up a Peak Logan and had the same issue. I have a box of Surefire CR 123's which I have been using. I just used my knife to take the small plastic (at least it appears to be plastic) green ring off of the bottom/negative end of the battery. This ring appears to simply hold the outside wrap of the battery onto the battery itself. It has no effect on the battery wrap and also completely solved the problem. Being completely technically incompetent and knowing nothing about flashlights, or batteries for that matter, I was reticent to touch anything, but wahoo, problem solved; much easier to tighten the head now, and more brightness than I thought the light was capable of. But you probably figured this out ages ago!!!!

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased my first Peak Logan from Oveready and have been trying it out over the past week. I have the long, stainless steel 123 body with momentary, the Nichia 219 emitter, and generation 2 pill.

Here is the problem:
If I use a CR123 primary, it works fine when I twist the bezel and it ramps up fairly smoothly. But using the momentary switch is very difficult. In fact, I can try pressing the momentary switch as hard as possible, but I can't ever reach maximum output. But with an AW IMR16340 cell, using the momentary switch is not a problem.

After much experimenting and looking at the light's components, here is where I think the problem is...
The negative contact on an IMR cell is nearly flush with the sides, but CR123 cells are not flush and the negative contact is slightly recessed. Becaused it's recessed, it prevents the full compression of the QTC pill. It would seem that if the hexagonal piece of metal in the QTC pill was slightly taller, it would solve the problem.

Have others on here had the same experience? If my explanation wasn't real clear, I can try posting pictures or video tomorrow.

Thanks,
Robert

Fir3

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased a Logan 123 and was having the same issues as the OP. Could not get consistent activation levels with the momentary switch and difficult to actuate on primary CR123a's.

I put some folded up foil between the battery at the hexagonal contact just to see and it made a huge difference. Worked perfectly and the switch felt great.