surefire z2 led upgrade?

sandman98

Newly Enlightened
i'd like to upgrade my sf z2 to a led lamp (particularly for longer runtimes). i'd prefer to use a three-way, again to maximize battery life, as i'm not sure i need 100% power when i'm out walking the dog, etc.

any recommendations?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've really enjoyed my solarforce xml three mode drop in. I think it was about $20

Posted using Tapatalk on my HTC Evo

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

motocoder

Newly Enlightened
i'd like to upgrade my sf z2 to a led lamp (particularly for longer runtimes). i'd prefer to use a three-way, again to maximize battery life, as i'm not sure i need 100% power when i'm out walking the dog, etc.

any recommendations?

I have the exact same light, so please post which route you go.

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
Nailbender has quite a few options all of which are first class - I am currently enjoying his drop-in XPG S2 L, M, H. three levels with memory and quite frankly it is 'the best of the best'...and inexpensive!

motocoder

Newly Enlightened
Nailbender has quite a few options all of which are first class - I am currently enjoying his drop-in XPG S2 L, M, H. three levels with memory and quite frankly it is 'the best of the best'...and inexpensive!

I ended up ordering from Nailbender. I liked all the options as well as the fact that he took the time to answer all my questions.

motocoder

Newly Enlightened
Which drop-in did you order? Could let us know how you like it, please.

I got this drop-in:

> Cree XM-L T50 flux Bin 4C 4300K neutral white 3 level / 2.8 amp /3.4 - 9 volts (high / med / low with memory ) Smooth reflector Potting with copper tape

Overall, I am very happy with it.

It doesn't seem to have as much Throw as the original SureFire did, but it is definitely brighter. The larger of the two springs (the outer one) prevented it from seating correctly in the housing. The instruction said to cut a coil off if needed, however, when I did that, it didn't seem to sit in the housing straight. I ended up just removing that spring altogether, and it seems to work fine without it. I had a hard time programming it, but once done the memory works great, and I can toggle between the two modes very easily.

Now I am wanting to bore the light to accept an 18650.

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
@motocoder,

Thanks, you have made an excellent choice - If you cut the spring back to a little more than 1 lap, so the end is just below where the positive spring starts it will be, (or should be) firmly in place; you may have to push the cut end down on to the brass - Or a few laps of the tape, to fit.

Good choice and good luck!

quazimoda 2

Newly Enlightened
Hi! I stand by the choice of the body to cast. What would be the best Z2 or Z3. Yes, I know Z3 is not released for several years but they still can be found at Ebаy. I am wondering which of these is the best buy for an upgrade? Thank you and please excuse my english

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum so maybe I'm posting this in the wrong section.
I have an old Surefire Z2 that I would like to upgrade with a powerful led emitter, any suggestions?
Thanks,

max

Welcome to the Forum! :welcome:

See post 5 above.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire Z2 upgrade?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum so maybe I'm posting this in the wrong section.
I have an old Surefire Z2 that I would like to upgrade with a powerful led emitter, any suggestions?
Thanks,

max

I'd suggest a Malkoff M61

Loed7984

Newly Enlightened
More drop in described in this post have multiple outputs, but... how to change that outputs whit a z2 that have just a simple tailcap switch?

Inviato dal mio HUAWEI G525-U00 utilizzando Tapatalk

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original thread asked for 3 mode, the merged thread OP asked for more power, hence the recommendation of a single mode drop in.