Dark Sucks Prometheus Alpha Blue Label MC18-B- Impressions and Photos

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hoping not to be redundant to postings already made in the "Dark Sucks" subforum, this posting is intended to provide my initial impressions and share some photos relative to my new Prometheus Alpha "Blue Label" light as well as a few comments about the company.

turboBB did an awesome comprehensive review of this light HERE, so for more technical details please read that review!

As mentioned in the Dark Sucks sub forum, Policescannerman sent me a note, as well as posted his first impressions of his new Alpha - and when PSM strongly endorses a product I take notice. I set out to learn as much as I could by studying the information contained within CPF as well as on the Dark Sucks website.

Most of you probably already know that flashlight enthusiast and fellow CPF member Jason Hui IS Prometheus lights. It's impressive enough that he hand makes the Alpha Blue Label lights, but also impressive is the quality of his web site.

Jason is to be commended over the sheer volume of information on his website, and the quality in which that info is presented.

After reading about all (yes, I read it all and watched all the videos) of the research, effort and work that goes into the Alpha Blue-Label - and recognizing the fact that it is essentially hand built by one man right here in the USA, I had to take PSM's advice and try one for myself!

I ordered the Master Package which includes a nice collection of extras: extra McClicky switch, extra UCL lens, 3 extra boots, a 2900 mAh AW 18650 battery in a nice tube, an o ring removal tool, really nice pliers, extra Mil-Spec Fluorosilicone (70 Durometer Shore A) O Rings, AC adapter and Xtar charger for the 18650, a volt meter, a nice tube of Nano oil with dispenser, and (not shown) a nice little cloth bag to keep all the accessories in.
IMG_7109.JPG

The Alpha "Blue Label" version is pretty much hand made by Jason, and he identifies these lights with his special maker's mark
Jason%2520label.jpg

Eye candy - the light is beautiful. Nickel plated 6061-T6 aerospace-grade aluminum ...

Table%2520shot.jpg

angle%2520body%2520shot.jpg

I chose the "makers choice" LED, the 4500k MCE. The tint is PERFECT (for my tastes).
IMG_7124.JPG

Another shot of that emitter behind the quality O ring and the awesome boom reflector - I have to say, this light has about the best beam I have ever seen.
IMG_7125.JPG

Worth another look....
reflector.jpg

The clip is also custom made by Jason - made of titanium, easily removable by simply removing the tail cap. I don't normally like clips, but this one is staying on as an attachment point for my lanyard.
clip.jpg

I chose a blue boot, but the Master Package came with 3 additional boots -
tail%2520cap.jpg

I noticed that the light warms up quickly when running it on "high." That's a positive! The copper in the light module coupled securely to the aluminum body sinks the heat away very effectively - a few shots of the light engine and 1 of the clean, smooth class III threads on the body...
light%2520engine%2520and%2520threads.jpg

head.jpg

light%2520engine%2520driver.jpg

Looking down the battery tube...
battery%2520tube.jpg

My particular light is serial number 133
serial%2520number.jpg

What we really buy our lights for is just that - light. Unfortunately, these long summer days are not conducive to taking beam shots! Regardless, at my first opportunity I will add some beam shots to this post. For now, one more look at this beautiful light:
IMG_7186.JPG

I've said it already - this is one of the very best beams I have ever seen. And the construction of the light is outstanding. My intent is to use this light, and although I have no intentions of beating it up, if it gets scratched, so be it. Based upon the reports of the levels of customer service Jason provides as well as the rugged, repairable, upgradeable nature of the light, this is a tool meant to be used.

Thanks for building such an outstanding new tool, Jason! :twothumbs

Last edited:

biglights

Enlightened
Re: Dark Sucks Prometheus Alpha Blue Label - Impressions and Photos

Nice pictures :thumbsup:

coloradogps

Flashlight Enthusiast

Run4jc, great review as always.

I don't know how this light escaped me.

Also thanks for the link for turboBB's review.

:twothumbs :twothumbs :twothumbs :twothumbs

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

Dan, great review man! Your pics are very nice! The Alpha does have great heat sink, it gets warm fast, which means its sucking the heat away from the emitter like it should. :)

I will have to check, but I'm pretty sure our serial numbers are very close. Lol.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

The price listed in the review above is $225, but the light shown in your pictures with the maker's mark stamp and blue o-rings is the "Blue label" version which costs $325. The $225 one is the "Ready Made" Alpha version, which is not produced by Jason, but by another shop under contract. It does not have the maker's mark like the pictured light above, it has another stamp, and doesnt appear to have the blue o-rings either.

Where did you get the lanyard?

Last edited:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

awesome photos! I love the blue boot and o-ring :)

also, in the photo of the circuit/driver with the stars on it, aren't there normally five stars? or is one covered up?

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
The price listed in the review above is $225, but the light shown in your pictures with the maker's mark stamp and blue o-rings is the "Blue label" version which costs $325. The $225 one is the "Ready Made" Alpha version, which is not produced by Jason, but by another shop under contract. It does not have the maker's mark like the pictured light above, it has another stamp, and doesnt appear to have the blue o-rings either.

The ready made version is what I ended up ordering, with a few specific requests. I'm very looking forward to getting it this week.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's partially correct. The CNC millwork is contracted, but Jason still assembles the lights. Of course, I didn't mention price in my review and my review title is "Alpha Blue Label"...

The lights are very similar. If you read the description on the Darksucks web site regarding the difference in the "Ready Made":

"In order to keep up with the growing demand, all Production lights are machined locally at Hirsch Machine (Santa Clara), and not by me. Production lights are Electroless Nickel plated in a "raw" state, exactly as they come out of the CNC lathe with no surface finishing.
They are still 100% assembled by me and stamped with the Prometheus Lights logo instead of my Maker's Mark."

You also give up the Fluorosilicone O ring, the driver mount is aluminum rather than copper, and the machining of the threads is slightly different.

Regardless, the light reviewed was the equivalent of the Blue Label prior to the introduction of the "Ready Made" line. If you review the postings in the Dark Sucks sub forum, you'll find a discussion of the introduction of the Ready Made line. While the Ready Made would certainly be more than I need, my love of hand craftsmanship and the few extra tweaks that are part of the Blue Label made it 'worth it' to me to spend the extra $100.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

awesome photos! I love the blue boot and o-ring :)

also, in the photo of the circuit/driver with the stars on it, aren't there normally five stars? or is one covered up?

Thank you! I think there are only 4...I was looking at the web site and at the earlier review and saw only 4...?

(Image 'borrowed' from the Dark Sucks web site)
nanjg-600.JPG

scout24

Flashaholic

Great pictures and writeup! I'm going to hold out for Jason getting back from paternity leave, but this is on my VERY short list. I may need until then to let my Paypal recover! :) Been a busy week... :poke:

S1LVA

Enlightened

I've got #36 :)

I feek like an OG. My XM18-B has been treating me well for the last 8+ months.

Jason's lights are top quality.

S1LVA

CMAG

Enlightened

I've got #36 :)

I feek like an OG. My XM18-B has been treating me well for the last 8+ months.

Jason's lights are top quality.

S1LVA
#0080 on mine +1 Jason's lights are top quality + $100 on the price also + comes with spares and Ti clip well worth it

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's partially correct. The CNC millwork is contracted, but Jason still assembles the lights. Of course, I didn't mention price in my review and my review title is "Alpha Blue Label"...

The lights are very similar. If you read the description on the Darksucks web site regarding the difference in the "Ready Made":

"In order to keep up with the growing demand, all Production lights are machined locally at Hirsch Machine (Santa Clara), and not by me. Production lights are Electroless Nickel plated in a "raw" state, exactly as they come out of the CNC lathe with no surface finishing.
They are still 100% assembled by me and stamped with the Prometheus Lights logo instead of my Maker's Mark."

You also give up the Fluorosilicone O ring, the driver mount is aluminum rather than copper, and the machining of the threads is slightly different.

Regardless, the light reviewed was the equivalent of the Blue Label prior to the introduction of the "Ready Made" line. If you review the postings in the Dark Sucks sub forum, you'll find a discussion of the introduction of the Ready Made line. While the Ready Made would certainly be more than I need, my love of hand craftsmanship and the few extra tweaks that are part of the Blue Label made it 'worth it' to me to spend the extra $100.

I think it looks fantastic. I think the blue o-ring adds to its cool look, but when I went to the website to look into it, the Alpha series was split into 2 different categories, the cheaper "ready made" and the mid priced "Blue Label". There are also the "Bespoke" models, which are apparently more custom and more expensive as a result. So when I saw the $225 price listed on your original OP there, I assumed you were speaking of the Ready made version, but in the pics of the ready made version there were differences in the light. Thats the only reason I brought that up in my post was to let people know that the pictured version in the OP cost more than the Ready made.

I've always liked the color of nickel, so I like the color of the coating on this light. This should be a fairly easy light to machine, especially with a CNC machine which should be able to spit these heads and battery sections out pretty quickly, since its a fairly basic design. That should help prevent any back orders, etc. Although the nickel coating may need to be done at some other shop, which would add to production time.

If I had not spent too much money on flashlights in the last 2 months, I would buy one of these, but since I HAVE spent too much money on flashlights in the last 2 months, I will have to wait.........

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

Where did you get the lanyard?

Actually, if I understand it correctly, he doesn't machine the tubes for the 'ready made' line, but has a shop a few miles down the road in Santa Clara, machine them for him. He 'makes' the rest of the stuff and does all final production/testing in house.

Chris

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually, if I understand it correctly, he doesn't machine the tubes for the 'ready made' line, but has a shop a few miles down the road in Santa Clara, machine them for him. He 'makes' the rest of the stuff and does all final production/testing in house.

Chris

From THIS POST

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

the pics don't seem to be loading :(

I love your reviews and beamshots and a search on Blue Labels led me here

nbp

Flashaholic
My favorite part of winter is that I have bigger pockets with which to carry my Alpha on a more frequent basis. Love that light!