So i've saved my pennies up and need a beach and defence light

itsdark

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, not been on here in ages not long finished uni for the summer and now working 12 hour shifts, this might take some getting used to haha. Anyway I have lost my EDC light and looked everywhere and am looking for a replacement light :candle:. I need something for walking along the beaches at night with a high output and an easy to access strobe feature for self defence as well as EDC. So far I have come across the Thrunite scorpion V2 and really like the look of it and the massif 1000 lumen output:D and the variable output. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this light, I have had a look at some of the reviews and it seems a winner. Not sure if anyone has any other recommendations?

Thanks a lot Folks;)

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's best to ignore the huge debate of what that strobe actually buys you, vs just plain high, vs whether a flashlight is the right thing at all. Given your requirements, I'd put in a strong recommendation for the Klarus XT11 is, IMO, head and shoulders above the others, based on the strength of the UI. It's the only one with instant access to strobe from anywhere, etc.

biglights

Enlightened
Yes the XT11 is a good choice, but Olight M series have the side strobe button also. Another choice for you to look at. The Klarus is a better option in my mind, but the Olights at least give you something else to compare it to.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XT-11 is a great choice. Also the EagleTac G25C2 can be configured to have fast access to strobe.
Both Sunwayman and Niteye also have models with side switches that provide access to strobe and mode changes.
There are several others that have hidden strobe or access to multi modes by a second switch.
Don't rush into your purchase. Do research and you can a light that fits your needs

itsdark

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input so far guys:thumbsup: why did you have to suggest the G25C2 madecov it looks so amazing and just made my choice even harder haha. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Scorpion V2? Also seen mention online of the scorpion V3 but from the information provided on websites it seems identical to the V2 so not sure if this is people getting confused with the catapult V3? Im finding this a really hard decision to make as this is the only light this year I am likely to be able to buy so I really want to get it right. Also saw the armytek preditor V1.2 which looks awsome too and liking the look of the XT11. I really cant decide between these lights anyone able to help me out here :candle:

Cheers guys

itsdark

Newly Enlightened
Anyone able to help at all? Sorry to be a pain but i really am "in the dark here" *sorry for the pun also*:oops: Any thoughts/ opinions at all?

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

ScottFree

Newly Enlightened
If you're looking for a beach light that you can also use for defensive purposes then look for a light that has as few modes as possible (single output/lo-hi output) or only one mode (single-output) with a high/single output at least above 120 lumens.You could also purchase a light with memory that will remember the last output used but may be too complex to use under stress.

Having a strobe may seem to be nice, but for defense at night you want something that will enable you to blind/distract someone at distance with a constant high beam which will give you a chance to run rather than a strobe which doesn't always work at distance.

itsdark

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for all your help. I decided in the end to fo for a scorpion V2. Got it last night and so pleased with it. Its blinding when running on cr123's
Thanks again everyone :thanks:

Quiksilver

Enlightened
Hi everyone, not been on here in ages not long finished uni for the summer and now working 12 hour shifts, this might take some getting used to haha. Anyway I have lost my EDC light and looked everywhere and am looking for a replacement light :candle:. I need something for walking along the beaches at night with a high output and an easy to access strobe feature for self defence as well as EDC. So far I have come across the Thrunite scorpion V2 and really like the look of it and the massif 1000 lumen output:D and the variable output. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this light, I have had a look at some of the reviews and it seems a winner. Not sure if anyone has any other recommendations?

Thanks a lot Folks;)

I can't speak to that particular light, but I do frequent exercise (walk/run) on the beach here at night.

What I normally do is have a SF E1B clipped into my waistband, and I run with a Malkoff Hound Dog in my hand.

Sometimes I leave the Malkoff behind and just use the E1B, but its usually both.

Just to inform you, an environment like an active (decent waves) beach at night will absolutely swallow the light produced by a flashlight.

1. Wide open space.
2. Moisture in the air.

Those two factors mean that even the best handheld light (even aspheric lens) will not do everything you want it to.

If I were you I'd just keep a small light handy like an SF E1B, and use situational awareness to avoid suspicious persons.

Also on that note, many people may get very irritated or annoyed if you use a high powered flashlight on a beach. I was jogging along one night and it looked like I was going to have to jog between two people and my spidey senses began to tingle.

I shone the light ahead and it was just a man walking with his girlfriend and two dogs. He got quite irate at the light. I did not even directly shine it at him, just put him into the edge of the Malkoff spill beam, but on a dark night it is still very bright.

So yeah, sometimes light isn't always the solution. Be aware of your surroundings, respect other peoples desire for peace/quiet/darkness, and keep a small/powerful light handy for self defense.

edit: a low mode is also useful, incase your walking/jogging toward an unidentified object on the sand. could be a dead fish, a small hole, a crab, a jellyfish, or anything really. I use the low mode on the E1B for this.

And a note regarding why I use the E1B for this when I have a HDS Rotary which is arguably better... Pocket clip. E1B has the invaluable pocket clip, which sets it apart from most of my lights, when i do exercise at night.

Last edited: