Klarus
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New 2nd Generation Cree XP-G2 LED!

Unenlightened

Default Re: New 2nd Generation Cree XP-G2 LED!

Quote Originally Posted by ergotelis View Post
    You will have a bit longer runtime regulation in AMC7135 based drivers, but also a larger energy loss, because this driver is linear.
    BTW, you don't have to use 7135 to get constant regulated from 1*18650: there's fonarevka led driver

Quote Originally Posted by ites View Post
    BTW, you don't have to use 7135 to get constant regulated from 1*18650: there's fonarevka led driver
    Or the GDuP from the shoppe

Quote Originally Posted by SemiMan View Post
    The XTE has a very pronounced faceting. Unless it is buried under the phosphor, it does not appear to have been done for the XPG2 on closer inspection. That could have been a tradeoff to ensure the exact same optical pattern in new fixtures without having to requalify the optical design ... and everything associated with that.
    This is exactly it. XP-G2 was designed to be a direct, drop in replacement for the XP-G, just brighter. The XP-G2 uses an EZ GenIII chip that eliminates the current spreaders on the chip surface and is easier to fabricate. This removal of the current spreaders on the surface of the chip is a big part of the gain in output, but not all of it.

The XT-E is using a DA chip which uses facets on it to help extract light. The chips thus radiate differently and do require redesigned optics etc. so they are maybe a little bit more expensive to implement up front. Overall though the XT-E is the recommended product for lighting etc. because it gives better lumens/dollar, but it isn't the greatest for flashlights.

I will say that the n and p sides are still in the same orientation on the XT-E and other DA based products as they are on EZ based products.
    Last edited by bose301s; 07-29-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by bose301s View Post
    The XT-E is using a DA chip which uses facets on it to help extract light. The chips thus radiate differently and do require redesigned optics etc. so they are maybe a little bit more expensive to implement up front. Overall though the XT-E is the recommended product for lighting etc. because it gives better lumens/dollar, but it isn't the greatest for flashlights.
    XT-E can be good for some flashlights, especially the old cree xr-e ones, i modded my all-time classic Jetbeam C-LE 1.2 with this led, and the beam profile is almost excellent. Highly recommended mod.

Quote Originally Posted by bose301s View Post
    I will say that the n and p sides are still in the same orientation on the XT-E and other DA based products as they are on EZ based products.
    Interesting! And very interesting to hear that they've eliminated the need for current spreaders on the chip surface! I've got some more pointless, speculative pondering to do ;-)

Edit: Ah! So the DA chips have something else that boosts their efficacy, not just chip-level light extraction. I think Cree may have sacrificed that extra light extraction structure in order to maintain compatibility. But it's still different from a DA chip due to the topside anode pads. Still don't have a guess as to how they did away with bond wires. Saab, when you gonna hack one of these suckas in half?
    Last edited by bshanahan14rulz; 07-30-2012 at 07:30 AM.

Great test Saabluster! Also, this thread is a great read. Can't wait to see these LEDs in some lights.

If I had the money, I'd love to get some of the dies used in these LEDs and just solder them to a big block of copper and the see how far it can be pushed.

Flashaholic

I see the spec sheet is now up (could be old news), thought I'd note it as no specific Vf's have been listed here yet; 2.8V @ 350mA, through to 3.1V @ 1.5Amp, much much nicer range for a li-ion CC setup, even at "max power". Be interesting to see the Vf's of the overdriven states, at a rough guess it should still be under 3.2V @ 2Amps, so essentially you could run it overdriven for the whole (recommended) range of a li-ion.
    Actually it's almost identical to the XM-L as far as current vs Vf is concerned, haven't cross-referenced lumens yet though. Seems the only real advantage of the XM-L now is it's rated max current.

I'm curious as to whether the hi CRI version will still be 3700k

Really stoked to see these hi lux #s!

Flashaholic

Just saw that what I posted above has previously been said. Sorry 'bout that, missed it somehow.

if I'm not mistaken they're using SiC for lower cost and better thermal performance? I recall the XM-L already used that, so I'm curious what will be upgraded in the supposed coming xm-l2.

I think they used SiC back in the XR days too. Heck, they've made SiC from the start, so they probably have the best way of growing GaN on SiC.

Quote Originally Posted by bshanahan14rulz View Post
    I think they used SiC back in the XR days too. Heck, they've made SiC from the start, so they probably have the best way of growing GaN on SiC.
    Cree have never used anything but Silicon CArbide

^ yep.
    off-topic, this factoid gets thrown around a lot, but they say that Cree is the only maker of gem quality moissanite (SiC)

oh, marketing fluff. it's their "SC^3" platform.

Quote Originally Posted by csshih View Post
    oh, marketing fluff. it's their "SC^3" platform.
    Yea, gotta make it sound cool, you know? Really signifies it's a Gen 3 product which it is, but yea, definitely fluff, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by saabluster View Post

Looks like they are taking advantage of some of that cross-licensing with Lumileds. If this was not an XP-G2 thread, I would have assumed that was a TFFT Lumileds chip.

Semiman

I have no idea of this new design will be applied to the XR-E, but if it is it would be quite nice, could have aspheric throwers without the current spreading lines visible in the projected die.

I had a headlamp with a flattened aspheric and rebel LED. The polka dots were kind of annoying, but I'm the weird sort who actually likes those fancy current spreaders. (http://www.decadecounter.com/vta/pic...gbmacro600.jpg <- cool!)

Quote Originally Posted by bshanahan14rulz View Post
    I had a headlamp with a flattened aspheric and rebel LED. The polka dots were kind of annoying, but I'm the weird sort who actually likes those fancy current spreaders. (http://www.decadecounter.com/vta/pic...gbmacro600.jpg <- cool!)
    They look kind of cool but they reduce light output.

Flashaholic*

Just did a nitecore EC2 mod, from 6800 lux and 315 OTF i got 398 OTF and 9700 lux, doesn't that look good???!!!! i love it now, this is the best edc ever!

I'm excited to see the neutral and high CRI LEDs when they are released. Is there a comparable update for XML? What little I know about XE does not lead me to believe it is an update for XML.

All they have to do for the XM-L is make the xp-g2 die bigger, I'd imagine... but I think the idea was to simply bring newer more efficient technology to older designs, so that new products using the newer technology can make it to market sooner (no redesigning optics, minor driver changes if any)

So I can just replace the XPG LED in my flashlights with the XPG2 LED and they will work with the same drivers and everything? So the only difference would be more output at each mode, in my Fenix lights for example. Does it get as hot at 1.5 amps as the regualr XPG?

It should be more efficient, so it'll be a wee bit cooler. The emission pattern is also the same as the XP-G, so you should be able to do a straight swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner12 View Post
    It should be more efficient, so it'll be a wee bit cooler. The emission pattern is also the same as the XP-G, so you should be able to do a straight swap.
    Oh if only I could get the heads off my Fenix TK45 to replace the XPGs with. I really like that floody light but want something more neutral and a little brighter in there. I might do the swap on my Fenix PD31 thogh.

Unfortunately right now Cutter only has 1A cool whites premounted on boards, and Illumination Supply has cool 1Ds. Unless you can do your own reflow work and get the bare LEDs from somewhere else, I don't think anyone has neutrals yet.

Cutter now have 1C and 1D.

Anyone tried these with carclo optics yet?

I've ordered 4x 3-up XP-G2 R5 boards from cutter to replace the xp-g r5's triples in my bike lights. They use the carclo 10507 optics. It says fully compatible with these optics on cutter's site, but isnt the dome bigger on these g2's? Will try and get some pics of before and after

Cutter also has 5B4 R4 neutrals in stock unmounted. I've already got a bunch on the way.

I imagine it won't be long before they have them mounted.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaLumen View Post
    Cutter now have 1C and 1D.

Anyone tried these with carclo optics yet?

I've ordered 4x 3-up XP-G2 R5 boards from cutter to replace the xp-g r5's triples in my bike lights. They use the carclo 10507 optics. It says fully compatible with these optics on cutter's site, but isnt the dome bigger on these g2's? Will try and get some pics of before and after
    I think Oveready had tried it. Dan and Tom