New 2nd Generation Cree XP-G2 LED!

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just heard that Cree is releasing the XP-G Generation 2, or XP-G2.

According to the spec sheets 85C @ 350mA:

3000K XP-G is 98 Lumens and XP-G2 is 117 (+19%)

4000K XP-G is 112 Lumens and XP-G2 is 130 (+16%)

5700K XP-G is 121 Lumens and XP-G2 is 138 (+14%)

The other main difference I see is the viewing angle is smaller. XP-G its 125 degrees and its 115 degrees on the XP-G2. So this should translate to improved throw by about 20-25% (because of the increased output and a smaller beam).

Whats interesting is I looked up the Lumen value of the XP-G2 to the XM-L CW @ 85C and both are 138. So it looks like we have XM-L like efficiency in a smaller package with better throw! :twothumbs

PapaLumen

Enlightened
I just saw these too, got a mail from cutter. Only Vf details are 2.9v @350mA, 25c. Mouser has them, top bin is R5 I think? http://www.mouser.com/cree-xlampXPG2/

139L @ 85c. Normal xp-g R5 is 139L @ 25c.

Lower viewing angle sounds interesting...

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the Cutter email too. Gains are claiming to be 16-19% in the neutral tint range. Eager to see what this LED new LED has to offer. I see a lot of modding and upgrading in my future if the claims are for real.

I am really glad to see that Cree got around to upgrading the XP-G line rather than replacing it with another.

znomit

Enlightened
:hitit:
Slide05.jpg

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will be interesting to see how it scales at higher currents. No data yet on cree's LED comparison tool. The XM-L for example as a higher % increase in lumens at higher current ranges over the XP-G. I hope the same is true for the XP-G2.

XP-G 2 has the same size package and is compatible with existing reflectors and optics! Should be an easy mod for existing lights, and an easy upgrade for existing manufacturers.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, they've bumped up the dome size a bit. Wonder how much that contributes to the changes, and how much is actual die improvements.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would stand to reason that the smaller projection angle is related to the new lens, but I can't imagine that a lens would have impact on the actual flux output.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I wonder if one day a decade from now the Vf of LEDs will be about such that they won't even use drivers off 2 1.5v batteries on them just like light bulbs at 2.4v.

ahorton

Enlightened
My guess is that throw won't be any better because it's probably a bigger die.

Just a guess though.

I'm really hoping for a lower Vf across the curve!

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The other main difference I see is the viewing angle is smaller. XP-G its 125 degrees and its 115 degrees on the XP-G2. So this should translate to improved throw by about 20-25% (because of the increased output and a smaller beam).

Smaller emitting angle generally means LESS throw in reflectored lights as less of the light is hitting the reflector.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Smaller emitting angle generally means LESS throw in reflectored lights as less of the light is hitting the reflector.

I was thinking that, too. You'd need a deeper reflector to get the same throw as the 125° emitter.

You would, however, get more lumens through an aspheric lens.

moozooh

Enlightened
Oh my... that's no less than great news! Starting to look forward to SC601 and H503. :laughing:

Last edited:

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast

Then why would the XP-E which also has a 115 degree viewing angle throw better than the XP-G?

IF the die is larger than the current gen XP-G then that could mean less throw...

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then why would the XP-E which also has a 115 degree viewing angle throw better than the XP-G?

IF the die is larger than the current gen XP-G then that could mean less throw...

The XP-E has a narrower angle, but also has a smaller die, meaning higher surface brightness (for the same lumens), meaning more throw.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Smaller source = more of its light is 'in focus' to a lens or reflector.
Wider dispersion angle means more light hits a reflector, and less hits a lens at a given distance.

[off-topic recap for those who don't crawl CPF]

Improving the lens can greatly increase emitted light. The dome ONLY exists to extract more light. Any light that hits the inside of the dome at too shallow an angle will reflect internally, restriking phosphor and decreasing output (And slightly affecting tint). The use of a lens (primary optic) increases the apparent source size of the LED (Worse for intensity), while increasing light emission. This primary optic also changes the angle of emission, as seen above.

De-doming an LED decreases source size and decreases light that can leave the LED/air interface. If done properly, it decreases output and increases throw. If done improperly, damaged optical silicone further decreases output.

This will be interesting, but I hope for similar improvement to the XR-E package - I haven't yet played with my XB-Ds (XP-E replacement).

foxtrot824

Enlightened
It looks the LED dome is larger in diameter (like the XT-E). I'm wondering if these will focus well with Carclo optics, for example the 20mm triple.