flashlight for my girl, suggestions needed?

jacksmith

Newly Enlightened
all dear fellows, Im looking for one handy light for my girl, she has no special needs but to use it when she goes home from evening classes at light, Im sticking with this Link removed just for its color and shape but its only 230-lumen, Im wondering whether its bright enought for night use and if it is worth the price? any other great suggestions are appreciated. TIA !

Last edited by a moderator:

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Start her off with something that she'll be WILLING to carry. Get her something small, innocuous and simple to use. Bonus points if you can find something that matches her favorite color. Small lights such as ThruNite Ti and iTP A3 EOS come in different colors, are tiny and have ZERO LEARNING CURVE to use. And, when presenting it to her, make sure that she puts it on her keychain because, if she doesn't do it in front of you, there is 99% probability that it will end up serving the closet duty.

Jaiofspam

Newly Enlightened
my wifes first flashlight was a streamlight microstream that stayed buried at the bottom of her bag. i agree with enomosiki, start off with something thats keychain mountable. it wasnt until i got her a maratac AAA which i attached to her keys that she finally found the usefulness of a flashlight for edc. she now has several AA/AAA lights of her own.

inspirit

Newly Enlightened
how about Fenix pd32. max output 315lum, 61-gram weight (excluding batteries),127mm (Length) x 25.4mm (Diameter)

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife carries a SureFire E1B (silver) in her purse and she loves her light. It's small, ultra reliable (hey, it's a SF :)), simple (just two modes, high/low), and she thinks it's pretty with the silver finish.

IMO, the light that you linked to is way too big and aggressive looking for a female to want to carry. My wife also has a SureFire 6PL, but due to it's size (which is actually smaller than the light you linked to), she just keeps it in her car.

Last edited:

otis

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up an Eagletac E25C twisty and love it! Tiny, easy to carry and a nice selection of output levels/flash programs. This model runs on 1 C123 battery, they have one that will work on 1 AA (other battery configs available). Will easily attach to a keyring. Top level is plenty bright, you should at least check this one out.

Sent from my rotary dial phone using tapatalk.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife would not carry anything large, by which she included any AA light I could find. What she finally agreed to was the Maratac Copper AAA light (she loved the copper which made her finally agree to carry one). It is 80 lumens tops but does everything she needs a light for including walking too and from her car on afternoons in a dark parking lot. I think 80 lumens is plenty for those purposes.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget that flashlight. It uses 18650 lithium rechargeable batteries, dangerous for non-flashaholics who do not realize they need to follow safety procedures to avoid an EXPLOSION.
Safety procedure instructions here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Using-Li-ion-cells-in-LED-flashlights-safely

I would recommend getting a Maglite 2AA MiniMag Pro LED Flashlight & Holster 1 mode 225 lumens $25, or Maglite 2AA Mini Mag Pro+ 2 modes 245 lumens on high $30. Uses common AA batteries so you do not have to buy funny batteries and charger. Available from zbattery or brightguy.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is she going to use it to determine if people are up to no good? I'd recommend something like Jetbeam BC20 or BA10 (with crAA 14505 for extra output)
or more benign usage, Xeno E03 neutral-white in blue-purple anodization.

LowLumen

Newly Enlightened
I will echo the advice of many others here and recommend one of the tiny AAA lights like Olight i3/ITP A3, Maratac.
(Look at the Rofis ER10 at Shiningbeam too, as well many other fine examples of high quality tiny AAA lights.)

I bought a bunch of the itp A3 'Upgrade' with XP-E LED for gifts when they were on closeout for $12-15.... Every one is happily used, loved, and carried daily in both purses and pockets. As has been said before; All the flashlight most will ever need. Start here.

jacksmith

Newly Enlightened
how about Fenix pd32. max output 315lum, 61-gram weight (excluding batteries),127mm (Length) x 25.4mm (Diameter)
thanx for ur recommendation, I'll take Fenix into consideration !! thanks all u dear fellows!!

jacksmith

Newly Enlightened
My wife would not carry anything large, by which she included any AA light I could find. What she finally agreed to was the Maratac Copper AAA light (she loved the copper which made her finally agree to carry one). It is 80 lumens tops but does everything she needs a light for including walking too and from her car on afternoons in a dark parking lot. I think 80 lumens is plenty for those purposes.
mine love the copper too, so i will think ur suggestion over ! TIA .

jacksmith

Newly Enlightened
seems like the database error has been solved :wave: and I just thought i would take 2-3 days. I just ordered this flashlight instead of the one I just mentioned above and thanx for all ur authentic suggestions. Ill share the picture with all of you as soon as I get my package from TD :D. oh, I ordered two items ON TD trying to give my girl a big surprise.
ZIigJ.jpg

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered this flashlight instead of the one I just mentioned above
Awww!!!
That one uses 18650 also.
NEVER give lithium powered flashlights as gifts!!!

This is the result when inexperienced people use lithium powered flashlights. I would not like that to happen to your daughter!
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...CR123-Explosion-during-use-firsthand-account)
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?262234-TK-Monster-Explosion
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?280909-Ultrafire-18650-3000mA-exploded
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...awk-Flashlight-literally-exploded-like-a-bomb

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I see you've bought a light already. Personally, I prefer AA or AAA lights for general use and for gifts. Easy batteries to find, and small enough to be carried around.

If your daughter is comfortable with lithium-ion batteries, then that light might be ok for her, but if she isn't or isn't willing to carry a "big" light with her, a 1 AAA light, like the 4seven Preon, or DQG III would be nice to attach to her keychain. I've got a DQG coming in the mail and it looks pretty nice. Tiny, stainless steel, and uses AAA batteries. Also, look in the reviews section and there are outdoors shots in them so you can better judge how well the light would work.

Jacksmith, where are you from? Some of the stores we recommend might not be best if you are outside the USA.

:welcome:

jacksmith

Newly Enlightened
almost forget my first posts here for I just received my package from TD and here's the flashlight I finally got.thans once again for all your suggetion and Bullzeyebill's edit for my suspicious links:D.
dOCBQ.jpg

C6FLw.jpg

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How do you like it?

Personally, I find 18650 lights feel good in the hand, but are a bit too big to EDC in my pocket. In a bag or a purse, size would be less of an issue.

Latest posts