Malkoff        
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nichia High CRI LED - 119V

Default Re: Nichia High CRI LED - 119V

Quote Originally Posted by diesel79 View Post
    I ordered a Haiku recently with the 119v emitter. Very neutral/white tint, even slightly more white so than my 119 Mule. At least to my eyes.
    And brighter too..

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by diesel79 View Post
    I ordered a Haiku recently with the 119v emitter. Very neutral/white tint, even slightly more white so than my 119 Mule. At least to my eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benchiew View Post
    And brighter too..
    So how would the Haiku 119V compare to the Haiku XM-L?
    I figured my Haiku XM-L was fairly white already, but now that I'm being told the 119V is supposed to be neutral/white also, I need know the difference. Is it really worth ordering a Haiku 119V if I already have an Haiku XM-L??

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=1#post3805272

The 119v probably won't look any different than the beamshot of the 119 in the link above, at least in real usage. You know what your xml looks like, you have a pretty darn good outdoor beamshot of the 119. This is going to bee the best thing next to having someone nearby to handled them both side to side.

The xml will appear to be very white and render color well, until you flip on a HCRI 119 .
    Last edited by diesel79; 05-21-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Flashaholic

I was having trouble deciding between the 119 and 119V and came across this very useful thread comparing the two with beam shots; it gives a good idea of tint and helped me decide on the 119V. I thought previously that I'd prefer yellow over rose tint, but seeing the photos the rosy tint looks sweet. I've got the 119 in my Mule so will be interested to compare them.

Don, thank you for this thread. I've been eyeing the Haiku for a while now but not knowing what the 119 series are
    (& thinking they were "older" gen) I now have a much better idea thanks to this post. I'm slowly learning a little
    reading these threads!

This is my first post on CPF. I have been researching the Haiku flashlights to determine which one I would like to purchase. I am interested in high CRI. I know the 119 has a documented ring near the outer edge of the beam. The 119 is 1mm x 1mm. The 119v is 1.3mm x 1.3mm. I am wondering if this slight size difference is enough to eliminate that dark ring. The very few wall shots I've found suggest it may not be there with the 119v. Any help would be great!

The existence of rings is a matter of proper matching to the reflector and not an issue of the emitter itself. The old XR-E was improperly considered to be a very ringy emitter until it was noticed by many that there were lights using it without any evidence of the rings and eventually the urban myth of XR-E rings went away.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Both the 119 and 119v, as well as the XP-G2 emitters are all using the same reflector in the Haiku. So what I am asking is if the difference in the size of the emitter helps with that beam "artifact".

No, the only thing that affects the beam 'quality' is the emitter to reflector matching. You can have Golden Dragon or XP-E emitters with no rings just as easily as you can have P4 or XM-L beam patterns with no rings.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

OYes, you are correct. HOWEVER, as I already stated: the 119, 119v, and the XP-G2 ARE in fact, all using the SAME reflector in the Haiku, therefore, your statement is NOT an answer to my question. I am hoping that someone with experience who hopefully owns both the 119 and 119v Haiku can answer my question. I don't need education about how reflectors or optics work. I am asking about the specific emitter and reflector combo that comes in the 119v Haiku.

Emitters don't make rings - improper fitting makes rings and if you have a light showing rings, the fitment between the reflector and emitter needs to be adjusted.

My early 119 Haiku shows no ringiness whatsoever and it's also worth noting that some artifacts showing up in pictures are not visible in actual usage. If you've found pictures showing what you feel to be a problem then you might try sending a PM to the taker of those shots, or try contacting Don McGizmo directly - he's very congenial to talk to and not only has owned every iteration of Haiku out there, he made them.
    Last edited by kaichu dento; 09-17-2014 at 05:22 PM.

I have no interest in continuing this conversation as It seems obvious that you simply want to argue. I know that there is no such thing as a ring emitting LED. Don has been using the same reflector that was originally designed for the XPG in Haikus that are using the 119, the 119v, and the XP-G2. When the size of the light source changes, and the same reflector is used, the resultant beam pattern will be different. If you own a Haiku with the 119v emitter, please feel free to post a white wall beam shot. If not, than I feel satisfied knowing that the answer to my question is that you don't actually know the answer. End of discussion.

Yes, the 119V has a slight ring. Whitewall hunters need not apply... Of no consequence in real life use, IMHO. Welcome to CPF, by the way. Sheesh...

Thank you! I'm already receiving quite an education. I didn't even know that I thought those rings came from the LED until someone told me that I think that. Before then I thought that I thought it was coming from using that specific reflector in combination with that specific LED.

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleFrodo View Post
    Thank you! I'm already receiving quite an education....
    You are fortunate indeed to have gotten prompt responses from several of CPF's most respected members ... eala (0.8K posts, 5 years), kaichu dento (4.9K posts, 6 years), & scout24 (3.0K posts, 6 years) have probably even forgotten more about flashlights than I have yet learned

As you see, the group here is generally a rather friendly and helpful bunch
    Last edited by archimedes; 09-17-2014 at 02:20 PM.
    ... is the archimedes peak

I've had two Haiku 119v's now, an AA and the 3v 123 that I routinely carry currently. Both were the same beam pattern wise. Again, real life use shows they are fine. The color rendition far outweighs any beam artifacts. The XM-L is brighter but floodier, the XP-G2 is similar in pattern to the 119V. I owned an XP-G2 briefly, deciding that the added lumens were not personally worth giving up the color rendition. Your uses, and mileage, may vary.

Archimedes- you should post your lumens vs. time here chart... I've learned a thing or two from you over time as well...

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    Archimedes- you should post your lumens vs. time here chart... I've learned a thing or two from you over time as well...
    It actually is posted over in the other "Wave of Haiku High CRI" thread ... lol
    ... is the archimedes peak

See, if you are friendly and cordial and ask kindly you get all the answers you need.

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    I've had two Haiku 119v's now, an AA and the 3v 123 that I routinely carry currently. Both were the same beam pattern wise. Again, real life use shows they are fine. The color rendition far outweighs any beam artifacts. The XM-L is brighter but floodier, the XP-G2 is similar in pattern to the 119V. I owned an XP-G2 briefly, deciding that the added lumens were not personally worth giving up the color rendition. Your uses, and mileage, may vary.
    I should read this one week ago. I just chose one XP-G2 over 119V. I think I will regret it.

I still need to get one of these to upgrade my photography light.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyro View Post
    I should read this one week ago. I just chose one XP-G2 over 119V. I think I will regret it.
    don't worry man! you'll still be amazed
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    don't worry man! you'll still be amazed

Yes, you are right. I found my Haiku AA XP-G2 amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyro View Post
    Yes, you are right. I found my Haiku AA XP-G2 amazing.
    great!
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    I still need to get one of these to upgrade my photography light.
    what are you photographing with your McGiz?
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by RedLed View Post
    what are you photographing with your McGiz?
    Pretty much everything indoors. Lots of RC car stuff nowadays. I have a point-n-shoot camera, so the flash produces a lot of burnout at close range, and I find I have much better luck turning off the flash, letting the camera adjust to its maximum exposure time of 0.5s, and waving my Mule across the item I'm photographing to produce the effect of multiple light sources. Examples:

Note the lack of hard shadows, thanks to the long exposure time capturing light from my Mule shining on the subject from multiple angles.

This one doesn't use that technique, but I like how the Hi-CRI light makes the red anodizing on the motor shine:

Last edited by fyrstormer; 07-11-2015 at 03:25 AM.

those look amazing

Don: what are your thoughts regarding the new Nichia 119/219 "C" LEDs?

It looks as though it's a pretty big upgrade, even compared to the XP-G2 LEDs from what I can tell: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/40133

Why? Not high cri. It's a step backwards

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    Don: what are your thoughts regarding the new Nichia 119/219 "C" LEDs?

It looks as though it's a pretty big upgrade, even compared to the XP-G2 LEDs from what I can tell: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/40133
    I can't find the spec in Nichia's spec sheet but as I recall when I first heard about these, the die is larger than that of the earlier LED's which is fine but if you seek a collimated beam then the XP-G2 would likely serve you better than the 1(2)19C. And CRI is similar until they come out with the high CRI version. I haven't come across anything yet that surpasses the 119 and 119V I have on hand in terms of CRI and CCT that would compell me to scrap them and move on to a next generation alternative.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast