ArmyTek        
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nichia High CRI LED - 119V

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

Default Re: Nichia High CRI LED - 119V

Those are very well done. Nice work.

If you feel like a test, tape a piece of tissue to the flash, it will spread the light around.
    Everything with flash can be tricky as it is an inexact science.

But the color looks good, they are in focus. Sometimes if I take a photo with my phone I also turn off the flash and use my daylight balanced floursent lights in the kitchen, or use my Haiku and hold my mule as a fill.

Something to try is your haiku as the main or key light, and a mule as a fill.

These are just some things to play around with but you did a great job, and these small cameras make it almost impossible when looking at prints, was a cell phone used, or was it my $8,000 DSLR.

All the best,

NR
    Last edited by RedLed; 08-01-2015 at 05:37 PM.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, DC, New York City Manhattan

A few photo tips for using your flashlight

Something you can to to get perfect color balance is find out what the color temperature of your LED is, and if you have a camera that allows you to dial in any color Temp, set it to what the LED is and viola. Note: if you use a main/key, and a fill the LEDs must be the same color Temp. But in the digital age you can always try it and see it as it costs nothing.

You will have to turn off any other lights and block out the sun as they will be an influence on the subject, you don't want a mix of light.

You can use white foam core as a reflector it works and it works good I love using foam core as reflectors want a harsh look add aluminum foil to the foam, And it works so good on motion picture sets million dollar scenes have been shot with just foam core. You can get black foam core to block unwanted light.

Use your lens set at F2.8 at 80mm to blur out the background for products, make for a great shot. The longer your focal length the nicer things appear, and a portrait done with 300mm or 400mm, are stunning your subject will have a nicer look and better head shape.
    you can use super telephotos for products, too but, most don't have a setup like that, but many will have 80mm, so I suggested that.

Back when I shot film, color negs, and you were in some awful lighting conditions, first you used a color meter, then you had to color correct by putting a colored filter on the lens, then put the opposite of the spectrum using color gel over the flash, making sure no daylight influence was escaping the flash.

When people asked about my flash being green, I would tease them and say, you will look wonderful in green.

In a way it was fun, and you could tell the real professional photographers, because when you spoke of things like this, the perplexed stare, and quick get away was a dead give away.

Hope this helps, I know about the auto settings, but try manual, it will make you a better photographer.
    Last edited by RedLed; 08-01-2015 at 06:27 PM.
    Check my Web Site: www.Redwayphoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by McGizmo View Post
    I can't find the spec in Nichia's spec sheet but as I recall when I first heard about these, the die is larger than that of the earlier LED's which is fine but if you seek a collimated beam then the XP-G2 would likely serve you better than the 1(2)19C. And CRI is similar until they come out with the high CRI version. I haven't come across anything yet that surpasses the 119 and 119V I have on hand in terms of CRI and CCT that would compell me to scrap them and move on to a next generation alternative.
    gotcha, thanks for the response man! Yeah I guess unless you really pushed your LEDs with a lot of current, then it might be worth considering a C-variant, but for now I definitely understand the last part of your statement most ("compel you to scrap")
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

I thought I'd bring this thread back to life.

For a while now I've been playing with various high CRI LEDs and while I've been able to get great results from some Cree (primarily the XHP50) my main focus has been Nichia. The main focus of which being 219B/C varieties as they are what's currently available.
    Since obtaining McGizmo lights his choice of a variety of Nichia 119A (which he calls a 119V for brevity) has been my benchmark for colour reproduction, tint and CCT as I just find these LEDs so eye pleasing.

The most interesting part I find is that, efficiency improvements aside, all the new LEDs (concentrating on current Nichia in particular) seem to pale in comparison.
    While I know tint and CCT can be and generally is quite a thing of personal taste, in my unscientific testing eye balling these LEDs the McGizmo 119V looks better than anything shone next to it. The 119V looks to have the best colour rendition and middle of the road (neutral) tint and CCT than any of it's modern competitors. Why is this the case?

The only LED that I covert as much as the 119V is my recently acquired Nichia NVSL219BT-V1 sw45k R9080 (abbreviated description but you get the idea) LEDs and it appears to be the exception to the rule with the current offerings. I'd read about these for quite a while now and finally got a small amount.

I've tried a few flavours of 219B around 4 to 5000K and 219C from 2700 to 5700K and the sw45k R9080 is the only one that can stand beside the 119V. I'm not saying the others are bad, as without comparison they are very impressive, it's just that the 119V and sw45k R9080 are just that good.

If Don were to run out of 119V anytime soon, and I hope he doesn't, the only worthy successor currently would have to be the above mentioned LED.
    Last edited by F89; 01-10-2018 at 09:22 PM.

F89, your post prompted me to re-acquire a 119V Haiku and can agree with everything stated. Been carrying a light of my own design with a SW40 R9080 219B and the 119V is the only real companion in light quality, something which I have come to increasingly appreciate in this hobby. Paired with the genius of proportions that is the Haiku, it really is my grail EDC.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetasigma View Post
    F89, your post prompted me to re-acquire a 119V Haiku and can agree with everything stated. Been carrying a light of my own design with a SW40 R9080 219B and the 119V is the only real companion in light quality, something which I have come to increasingly appreciate in this hobby. Paired with the genius of proportions that is the Haiku, it really is my grail EDC.
    Glad you're enjoying it. The 119V Haiku really is a Grail EDC for sure.
    It's funny how the 119V and before it the 119 have been used by Don for years and apart from some improvements in efficiency are still as good or better at producing quality light than any current LED.
    I recently put an sw45k R9080 219B in an HDS and was amazed at A, how good it is and B, how good the 119V remains to be. I'm a little surprised that there's not more talk on the forum although I am a true CRI hound.
    Yesterday I fashioned a MCPCB to put on an unused Hive LE (don't have any Mcgizmo XPG PCBs) and mounted another sw45k to put in a Haiku head that has an XML reflector that I like to match a Nichia to and wow it's awesome.
    The tint, CCT and CRI are so close between the 119V and current Nichia high CRI champ it's too close to call.

I contacted Don to order a AA Haiku this morning. Think the 119 would be the best LED for this build? I asked Don for his opinion.

I plan to carry this light daily so will use it in a variety of situations. Need a bit of throw for outside use but will also need to use it up close in some situations.

Yes. Since you’re running on AA, high output is clearly not the objective. Hence, high quality light should be the focus. Hence, Nichia 119.

where i can buy nichia 119?

Quote Originally Posted by nsl18 View Post
    where i can buy nichia 119?
    Are you looking for a 119 Haiku or just an emitter?
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

emitter only

Quote Originally Posted by nsl18 View Post
    emitter only
    This is not the place to ask that, then
    ... is the archimedes peak

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123