The case for the MN-20

batman

Enlightened
Greetings incan fans,

Just a quick foray into the argument for using the MN-20 on primary CR123s..I can barely think of any reason to use it.

Burning through 6 primary cells in one hour is hard to justify, accept for the fact that the beam is pure devestation in any situation. The argument for The MN-15 is that its more efficent, throws further, and is whiter than the MN-20. The argument for the MN-21 is that its brighter and whiter than the MN-20, and its basically just more amazing, despite the short runtime.

I would use the MN-15 but I have traditionally had bad luck with all MN series lamp assemblies exploding or burning out in the surefire turbohead. I hesitate to keep playing the warrany card on a setup that the surefire warranty won't cover. (MN-15 is only meant for the M3). The MN-21 is a lot of fun but too cost prohibitive. I guess the MN-20 is a compromise?

Are any incan fans actually still satisfied with running the M6 on the MN-20 with primaries? I'm interested in hearing from people who run it on primaries and not rechargables.

Last edited:

LE6920

Newly Enlightened
.......... I'm interested in hearing from people who run it on primaries and not rechargables.

I think that is going to be your problem as many run their M6 with rechargeable set-ups.

Brigadier

Enlightened
Sorry, but I run my M6 with the MN15 as that is the same bulb as my M3T, so I only need to keep one type of LA as spares.

batman

Enlightened
An interesting side note here, just last week I was talking to the good people at Surefire customer service. They ARE warrany covering the MN-15 lamp assembly in the M6. The guy said they know a lot of people are using it, and he was sorry it didn't work out for me with my MN-15 set up. So, I was told to send it in and they'll send me a replacement for free. THAT'S WHAT I"M TALKING ABOUT. That's real customer service IMO.

Steve in SoCal

Enlightened
Greetings incan fans,

Just a quick foray into the argument for using the MN-20 on primary CR123s..I can barely think of any reason to use it.

Burning through 6 primary cells in one hour is hard to justify, accept for the fact that the beam is pure devestation in any situation. The argument for The MN-15 is that its more efficent, throws further, and is whiter than the MN-20. The argument for the MN-21 is that its brighter and whiter than the MN-20, and its basically just more amazing, despite the short runtime.

I would use the MN-15 but I have traditionally had bad luck with all MN series lamp assemblies exploding or burning out in the surefire turbohead. I hesitate to keep playing the warrany card on a setup that the surefire warranty won't cover. (MN-15 is only meant for the M3). The MN-21 is a lot of fun but too cost prohibitive. I guess the MN-20 is a compromise?

Are any incan fans actually still satisfied with running the M6 on the MN-20 with primaries? I'm interested in hearing from people who run it on primaries and not rechargables.

The MN20 is pretty good with a high capacity 2x18650 setup.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading this thread I switched my M6 back to the MN20 and I only use primaries. I really don't use it a lot, but it sits in my torsopak with a fresh set of cells and a fully stocked SC2 just waiting for the right moment. Someone once did a runtime test and MN20 ran for 45 minutes before starting to sag.

batman

Enlightened
Do you run the old or new version MN-20? Did you like the MN-15 setup? I won't be running the MN-15 setup as SF just sent me back a jacked MN-15 and said that's normal.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you run the old or new version MN-20? Did you like the MN-15 setup? I won't be running the MN-15 setup as SF just sent me back a jacked MN-15 and said that's normal.

I use the newer/black MN20. I ran the MN15 in it for a while. It died after 2 battery sets. That MN15 LA was purchased used on the Marketplace so I really don't know how much life it had left when I got it. Since this light is only used in short bursts on those rare occasions when I find a use for it the MN20 is fine with me.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh come on now, I know I'm not the only one who runs the MN21 on primaries..

MN20.. bleh :D

I don't care how much it costs to run the MN21, when I want M6 light I want the MN21, when I want 250 lumens I can get by with a P90 on rechargeables or an IMR-E2 or something instead.

batman

Enlightened
I guess I agree, when I need something in the 200 lumen range, I can reach for my quark mini cr2. It's almost 200 lumens for little while.

When I need a long running incan, the MN-02 in my E2E usually does alright for me.

The M6 is really more for whoop-*** situations IMO, short bursts of light to scare the hell out of people. Might as well run it with the top fuel lamps.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh come on now, I know I'm not the only one who runs the MN21 on primaries..

MN20.. bleh :D

I don't care how much it costs to run the MN21, when I want M6 light I want the MN21, when I want 250 lumens I can get by with a P90 on rechargeables or an IMR-E2 or something instead.

+1 for me on that. I love the MN21 beam and output. I also would use it on primaries and enjoy every glorious second of the 20 minute battery life, sometimes in short bursts, sometimes in prolonged runs when I can almost hear the cells cooking with 5+ amps being drawn out of them.

I really do also like the MN20 as well. It's a compromise to trade off half the output for three times the runtime. At least one doesn't have to keep an eye on their watch so much while using it. And the beam of the MN20 is still very effective and beautiful. But it's no MN21.:cool: