Light for a shotgun/rilfe

wisefire

Newly Enlightened
I'm new here and looking for some advise. I'm looking for a light to mount on my shotgun, so obviously it will have to withstand the strong recoil, something with good throw and medium flood if possible. The only experience I have with flashlight are the ultrafire from DX. Prefer something with only 1 mode and the possibility of attach a pressure switch.

Thanks in advanced.

Lobstradomus

Newly Enlightened
If you are looking for something small, lightweight and rail mount capable there are the Streamlight TLR and Surefire X series, both of which can handle the recoil have good beam characteristics and have pressure switch tail cap options.

Lobstradomus

Newly Enlightened
I'm consider a TLR-1, but how about this one Romisen RC-2R4 R5 LED flashlight "1-Mode

While it does have a pressure switch option, I don't know how well that Romisen would hold up to the recoil from a shotgun or rifle. Personally I would go with something purposely designed to handle the recoil, preferably something with potted electronics and some feature to keep the batteries from moving about. Aside from Surefire and Streamlight there are many other companies that make dedicated weapon lights such as Insight Tech, Elzetta and Inforce; 4Sevens and Fenix also make lights that are supposed to be able to handle weapon light duty as well such as the Maelstrom and TK/TA series that both are pressure switch capable.

cdknox

Newly Enlightened
I have a 4Sevens maelstrom G5 on my AR. It's awesome and has great throw.

Cheung421

Newly Enlightened
I've got just the normal Surefire forend weapon light with incan, planning on getting an LED soon. Love it :)

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many lumens do you want, how do you plan to attach it to the firearm, and what's your budget? Is this for home defense, and if so what max range are you thinking about?

Most dedicated weapon lights are geared more towards spill than throw, so that may be somewhat of a challenge if it really is necessary.

You're definitely going down the right path in looking for a tough light with a single mode.

My primary 12 gauge has a Surefire 6P with their XM dual switch tailcap mounted at about 10:30 with the button sitting right by the front end of the forearm (semi-auto). It's got a Malkoff M61 in it.

When it arrives, I plan to install a Malkoff MD3 with M61HO in it's place. This should give the length I need to get the lens reasonably close to the muzzle while still giving easy access to the larger button of a standard Surefire clicky tailcap.

The title of the thread references shotgun/rifle. Do you plan to move this one light between different weapons?

Grizz

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
I've been using a Solarforce L2M with the shorter body (using a 16340 and a Solarforce XM-L T6 "800 lumen" 1-mode drop in) on an angled picatinny mount. I've put a good 300+ rounds of 62gr 5.56 through my AR with the light on & off and haven't had any issues yet. The light still works & functions perfectly.

Haven't tried it out on a shotgun, but then I don't have any lower picatinny rails on my shotguns.

wisefire

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions, the light is going to be mounted on the shotgun 95% of the time. It will be mainly used for home defense, I'm looking for something with around 500 lumens. I want something bright so maybe higher lumen. I originally wanted to spend around $50, but notice that it didn't give me any reliable options, so now I'm hoping for something around $120.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
At $120.00 your choices open up.
I have tested the Klarus XT-10 & XT-11 on my duty shotgun without any issues. You also have not mentioned if your shotgun is a pump or semi auto?
I have found on my pump gun that a coiled pressure switch can be attached to the pump. You could also use a Klarus XT-2C and have something a bit lighter weight. Each would be more than bright enough.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It really would help us to know what shotgun and/or rifle it will be mounted on. There are several manufacturers offering a mount that clamps onto the magazine tube and barrel, with short picatinny rail sections that bolt onto this piece.

If it's a pump, then madecov's solution of the light attached to the barrel or magazine tube (or both) with a pressure switch attached to the forend with coiled wire is a good idea.

Does it have a full length magazine tube?

Does the need to be able to field strip it without tools exist?

Grizz

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The barrel/magazine clamp I use is made by Mesa Tactical. Either of their solutions pictured on their Barrel and Magazine Clamps product page should work. This would allow you to either use a light with an integrated quick release mount for the picatinny rail, and easily move it between different weapons, as long as the other one also had the proper rail.

Grizz