Defective Quark?

BiggDaddy485

Newly Enlightened
Hey all.. So I purchased a Quark AA2 Tactical R5 Edition last year. It never quite worked properly, had some issues where the light would flicker and sometimes turn off completely either right after turning it on or after a few minutes. If I shook it it would usually fix it, but sometimes I would have to turn it off and on again. It got progressively worse over time. Last time I put a fresh set of alkalines they were in for about two weeks before the light stopped working altogether and the batteries had leaked. So my question is this: Is it possible for defective electronics, either in the switch or the head, cause the batteries to leak? I have used these batteries in other lights and electronics with no problems at all. Thanks for the help.

Wrend

Enlightened
Most likely not. There is probably a break in the main circuit somewhere, such as a bad connection.

Alkaline cells leak, and from my experience it's regardless of brand name (Duracell, Energizer, Rayovac, and others). Not always, but too often. Higher drain rates such as the light being on a higher setting and more deeply discharging the cells may have contributed.

Last edited:

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only use alkalines in the 2 for a buck flashlights that it wont matter if they leak and trash the bodys.On my high end lights I use Deoxit to keep the contacts clean, it sounds like you might benefit from acquiring a tube or two to counteract the alkaline corrosion that is destroying your quark as we type. I recommend Eneloop batteries.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
.. So my question is this: Is it possible for defective electronics, either in the switch or the head, cause the batteries to leak? I have used these batteries in other lights and electronics with no problems at all. Thanks for the help.

Absolutely yes.

I've purchased about a dozen Quarks of various flavors, many as gifts. One light was defective and would not light out of the box including trying different batts - clicking on/off, on/off. Took head off and rubbed the contact points thinking it was corroded and noticed they where hot! There was some short going on inside the head and with all the clicking, you don't know what state you left the light on the last click.

So if your light was shorting, on moonlight for example, in a couple of weeks you will force one of the two cells into such a deep discharge that it will go into reverse charging from the stronger cell. That will definitely cause the batt to "pop" (gas vent) and leak.

Return the light, explain the situation and they should take care of you.

Wrend

Enlightened
A short seems less likely to me just because you have to have something extra to cause it, crossed wires, or something like that, but yes, it is possible, and a short would likely contribute to the cells leaking.