Specific purpose flashlight reeccomendation

Sikh

Newly Enlightened
Hey, I have kind of a tricky request for you guys and I hope someone can help me :)

I'm going to explore a dark mine with some friends of mine, the mine is completely pitch black and the led flashlights and headlamps I have now just doesn't do the trick (I visited it equipped with 4 standard, convenience-store flashlights and It was still way too dim.

So, to cut to the chase:

I need a flashlight that is bright enough to illuminate a dark space (how many lumens do I need?)
Has a good throw distance
Has a battery life of at least 2 hours on max
Is waterproof/resistant
Costs under 130 USD

Can anyone reccomend a good flashlight?

Thanks and sorry for being a newb :)

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF!

Copy and paste this "checklist" into your first post. Then fill it in. You will get much better suggestions!! :thumbsup:

-

Last edited:

Sikh

Newly Enlightened
Here's the filled out checklist, hope this helps :) Thanks for the reply!

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

__X_I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: Less than $150.

3) Format: _X_I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:
_X__Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
_X__Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).
_X__Holster carry.

5) Emitter/Light source:
_X__LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
_X__I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What battery type do you want to use?
____I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
_X__I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
__X_I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
_X_I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need?
____I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
____I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
_X__I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).
_X_I want to illuminate an entire field, the neighbor's front yard several houses down, impress my friends and neighbors, etc. (300-700 lumens).____I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.
_X__Less than 1 yard/meter (reading, other close work)
_X__Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
_X__5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
_X__30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
_X__50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)
_X__150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).
____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)
____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
_X__90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
____Not Important (A "night-stand" light).
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
_X__Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):
__X__I don't care.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
_X__I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating
____Plastic/composite body (this may limit your choices significantly).
_X__Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
_X__Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
_X__Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

rambo180

Enlightened
I need a flashlight that is bright enough to illuminate a dark space (how many lumens do I need?)
How big is the space? I have maybe 1 200m^2 backyard. (20mx10m) and that can be lit up by my baby 70 lumen olight i3. Best to shoot for at least 200lm.
Define "good". The XT11 does about 200m technically but practically i would say 150m.
Tough. to my knowledge that isn't really common. Best to go for a 18650 flashlight eg. the Klarus XT11 at 600 lumens, and not use it on max. That way you have 600 lumens there if you need it. Better than getting a 300 lumen flashlight that will last 2 hours but isn't super bright.
BTW the xt11 is very popular with police officers and has a fantastic battery life for an 18650
Is waterproof/resistant
Most are IPX8, about 2m waterproof.
Costs under 130 USD
xt11 is about $100

You have choice! How big do you want your light? you choose! I reccomend not holster carry. EDC medium will give you plenty of options without it being too large.

Choose a battery. I reccommed rechargeable 18650s.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
OK, after seeing your 'checklist', I would recommend Klarus XT-11. Got my first Klarus XT11 in the mail a few weeks ago. I've bought ~100 lights in the past few years, so I am a little bit of a "flashoholic", LOL. I will say that the XT11 throws pretty well - much better than I would have expected. Plus, the UI (user interface) is well-nigh perfect. Plus, you can use CR123's or 18650. And it has numerous other features which I like. It's slightly too big for everyday pocket carry, otherwise this would definitely be my new EDC light.

This light is a great value, IMHO. I got mine on eBay, with a charger and two 18650's for $90. I liked this package deal so much, that I bought two more and gifted them away to friends.

Here's a full review of the XT-11 by 'selfbuilt': http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?334884-Klarus-XT11-(XM-L-U2-1x18650-2xCR123A-RCR)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO

So, you now have two replies and two votes for the XT-11. It's rare to see people agree so quickly!!!! :rolleyes:

-

cyclesport

Enlightened
Hey, I have kind of a tricky request for you guys and I hope someone can help me :)

I'm going to explore a dark mine with some friends of mine, the mine is completely pitch black and the led flashlights and headlamps I have now just doesn't do the trick (I visited it equipped with 4 standard, convenience-store flashlights and It was still way too dim.

So, to cut to the chase:

Is waterproof/resistant
Costs under 130 USD

Can anyone reccomend a good flashlight?

Thanks and sorry for being a newb :)

+1 for the XT11...almost perfect for your application.

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened
also, what kind of light can you use as a baseline.. The most common light I can think of is a mini maglite, how many of those do you need?

Sikh

Newly Enlightened
You guys got me convinced, after much research and making schematics comparing lumens vs battery life vs price the Klarus XT11 seems like the perfect light, almost too good to be true. Thanks for all the feedback and making me feel welcome in this forum! Can't wait til i get my paycheck :)

rambo180

Enlightened
You guys got me convinced, after much research and making schematics comparing lumens vs battery life vs price the Klarus XT11 seems like the perfect light, almost too good to be true. Thanks for all the feedback and making me feel welcome in this forum! Can't wait til i get my paycheck :)

Copy that Sikh. Mission accomplished. Over.

Latest posts