Need a really bright, highly collimated beam.........

Photon12345

Newly Enlightened
I am working on a project for Burning Man, and need to find an affordable ($150 or less) off the shelf fixture, that puts out a really bright, highly collimated FAT beam (small beam angle) that will be sitting on the ground pointing straight up to create shafts of light up into the sky, and hopefully onto any clouds that get in those photons way.............

It will run from dusk to dawn every day for a week.

I ordered a Cyclops Thor X Collosus 18Million CP 12V rechargeable light (they didn't have direct DC fixtures in that model, and the battery would only run for about 40 minutes, so not workable as is). I was going to hook up a 12VDC 14A supply to each fixture and plug the 12VDC into the charging outlet on the back of the unit, which according to the techs at the manufacturer will bypass the charging circuitry and allow you to run the fixtures directly from the power supply.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018F1CJ4/?tag=cpf0b6-20

The unit cost me $65 including shipping.

Does anyone have any input, suggestions, tips, or otherwise about what I should use..........?

Thanks for your assistance.......

Photon12345

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
a small "continous capable" green laser will do the "marking" much easier and will be quite good to be spotted.

does not even has to be powerful to do that at night.
a sub 5 Watt might be much more than adequate

... if it does not only have to be a light beam for some reason

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
might want to pm Ma-sha. Sounds right up his alley, of all things blinding and different

MikeAusC

Enlightened
a small "continous capable" green laser will do the "marking" much easier and will be quite good to be spotted.
. .
. . . except you could be in trouble with the law with the number of aircraft that will be flying nearby, since there is an airstrip there.

MikeAusC

Enlightened
The only cheap source of light that uses minimal power is an HID light.

30 watt HID conversion kits are readily available and cheap.