Bridgelux Micro SM4

jason 77

Enlightened
I just noticed on Newarks site that bridgelux has a new line of LEDs called "Bridgelux Micro SM4" Has anyone looked into these LED's? At first glance at the data sheets they seem "ok" compared to others like XML's or Nichia's products.

Just wondered why bridgelux is going down this path....

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm guessing the SM4 is, as the name indicates, is an actual array of four LEDs in surface mount configuration. Either all four in series or 2x2 for the 6 volt version. I have a pile of the older 360 series that are similiar. Fantastic color at 3000k, but horrendously inefficient compared to today's emitters. These newer SM4's are better, but still lag the premium competition in terms of efficacy.

Then again Bridgelux is competiting with other Asian firms in the fixed lighting market only, and like everything else in the Bridgelux universe the SM4 is likely cheaper per lumen than the competition. The higher voltages are common sense. Their bigger arrays come in nothing less than 20volts, which is a bear to drive with batteries unless you're a boost freak, but very convenient to drive from 120volt mains.

jason 77

Enlightened
Dang I must be out of it... I totally missed the SM4 bit, that makes total sense now! I know their 9000 lumen is rated for 30-33 volts........ but that doesn't stop me from planing a portable light :whistle:

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
There have been some nice Bridgelux portables posted in the Fixed lighting forum - not sure if you've seen the threads. Bridgelux is over 100 lumens per watt now in neutral white, and if you don't mind the wider (and significantly smoother) spread of the Ledil reflectors they make for some killer light cannons. It's the voltage you need to contend with though.

jason 77

Enlightened
Yeah I've seen some of those and the fact that the new neutral white arrays are now over the 100 lm per watt mark is the reason I just ordered one and a Ledil reflector for it.... still trying to decide between making a battery pack or going for 10 individual Li-ions. That and trying to find the time to actually work on the project! LOL