Nitecore MT series

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone knows some details regarding the MT series? I dont understand the UI. The man from the below video says that the lights are copies of the Jetbeam P-series now rebranded as Nitecore and repriced similar to the Jetbeam B-series. It is also known that the Klarus P-series were outsourced to the Jetbeam factories (SYSMAX). Wow. Now we got a market full of similar lights all produced from the same site: Klarus P-series, Jetbeam P-series, Jetbeam B-series, Nitecore MT-series :naughty:

(dear mods, please remove the video link if it is not allowed to be shared thx)

tam17

Enlightened
NC have announced that they're planning to introduce some more flashlights with unconventional UI before the New Year. If we count in the Sens series, this must be the follow-up.

Cheers

TweakMDS

Enlightened
I never get why companies do this. It seems to make much more sense to establish one brand name and make it great. Now they're just doing triple marketing...

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
The head of the MT series looks identical to that of the JetBeam PA10/20 PC10/20 Series.
The body seems to have a cleaner design and some minor improvements - i.e. reversible clip on all models. On the PA/PC series only the PA20 had a reversible clip.
The tailcap is different: judging by the looks it may be easier to use with gloves but make it harder for the light to tailstand at all.
The clip itself is identical to the PA/PC series so nothing to get too excited about: average cheap clip that might accidentally come off.
The LEDs: all XP-G R5 instead of XM-L T6 - the PA20 was the only PA/PC light to have the R5.
For the MT20: if lumens are accurate it has 280 instead of 230 lumen.
For the MT10: no mention of outputs and compatibility with Li-ions 14500. It would be an improvement if 14500 cells were supported but all output levels available with it.

Output levels:
No mention if strobe or SOS are hidden. Actually SOS does not seem to be mentioned. That could be another improvement.
The lows have too many lumens for my taste: the Low on the MT1A is supposed to be 5 which might still be acceptable (IMO less would have been better).
On the MT2A, MT2C, and MT1C the Low is 15, 10, 20 respectively. Considering these lights have 4 non-flashing output levels I find it ridiculous but it might be just me!

If they had been released an year ago I would have pulled the trigger but in the fall of 2012 I see nothing that would justify a cash flow out of my bank account.

Last edited:

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Folks just FYI the MT series is designed to go head-to-head against the Fenix line... but keeping in mind that's the Fenix line BEFORE the refresh that's happening.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually I noticed another improvement compared to the JetBeam PA/PC series: the MT2C works 18650 while the PC20 couldn't fit and only worked with 17640 - not even mentioned in the PC20 manual.

Other than that, they probably aren't bad lights but they are being launched on the market a tad late compared to well established series by other manufacturers. The only are they seem they might have some edge is the lumens/runtime ratio - assuming is accurate. I guess a lot will depend on how the UI actually works. Might turn out to be suspiciouly similar to the PA/PC series?

The Low outputs remain very odd - the MT2A shoots 15 lumens on Low while the MT2C "only" 10 and the MT1C only 15: if the MT series to beat the Fenix line with output levels chosen randomly, they have already won!!! :whistle:

Last edited:

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just downloaded the MT series manuals from the Nitecore website.
The UI is the same as the PC/PA series "High-Mid-Low- SOS-Strobe".

Lio-on batteries are not supported by the MT1A:
"Primary AA battery AA 1.5V Y (Recommended)
Rechargeable AA battery AA 1.2V Y (Recommended)
Primary AA Lithium battery L91 1.5V Y (Recommended)
Primary LiFePO4 battery 14500 3.2V Y
Rechargeable Li-ion battery 14500 3.7V N (Banned)"

outdoormanZ

Newly Enlightened
As in my eyes, the head parts are identical to Jetbeam B and P series.

As read another thread, this explain why Nitecore copy Jetbeam products.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?341897-Niteye-Zip-20/page7 #201 Erzengel said below:

Regarding Nitecore and JETBeam, the German distributor of Sysmax stated on German messerforum.net that Sysmax has registered the JETBeam brand in Europe (EU?) and that the founders of Sysmax and Niteye are now fighting over the JETBeam brand rights. Sysmax claims to own most of the intellectual property and innovation (no further information on that) and will continue to sell the JETBeam products under the Nitecore brand name. There will be no more JETBeam lights sold in Europe in the future.
This doesn't answer all questions but it explains why many former JETBeam lights are now sold as Nitecore lights.

Regarding the Nitecore T-Series and the Preon ReVo, there was a thread on the ReVo discontinuitation where some members pointed to another manufacturer which also sells lights looking like the ReVo and I recall to have seen them before the T-Series lights.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
That explains a lot but there are still differences between the JetBeam P Series and the new Nitecore MT series: the MT2C diameter has a larger head and all MT lights are XP-G R5. All in all the MT series looks like a minor upgrade to the P Series with a LED change. I also wonder what will happen in other markets - e.g. the US one: Nitecore and JetBeam will be selling nearly identical products?

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
New Nitecore MT ~ Multi-Task Series

+

Nitecore MT ~ Multi-Task Series
User defined modes for loosened head, Turbo for tightened head>

For the MT2C model: 2x cr123 or 18650
Low = 10lm
Medium = 70lm
High = 180lm
Turbo = 360lm
Also: strobe & sos

Peak Beam Intensity = 6000cd ,,, lux??
Smooth slight Parabolic reflector

NITECORE MT series flashlights essential have two modes: high mode (100% output) and custom mode. High mode is accessed by tightening the flashlight head while any of one of the four customizable modes (strobe, low, medium, high and SOS) are selected by loosening the head and rapidly pressing the on/off switch to cycle through the modes. A given mode can be saved by simply turn off the light while in that mode. Real-world examples include: When used as a flashlight around the home, the head can be loosened and low level selected in custom mode, providing long runtimes at a lower light intensity. The same flashlight could then be taken out and used a law-enforcement duty light, with user-defined mode set in strobe, making it easy to alternate between high mode and strobe with a simple twist of the flashlight head.

Last edited:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New Nitecore MT ~ Multi-Task Series

thanks for posting it here, I can't seem to see much that makes it truly stand out though. the custom mode could be nice, however.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

+
while any of one of the four customizable modes (strobe, low, medium, high and SOS) are selected by loosening the head and rapidly pressing the on/off switch to cycle through the modes. A given mode can be saved by simply turn off the light while in that mode.

Maybe I'm mis-reading this .... it sounds like the "user mode" is just a regular click-to-get-next-level interface with memory. Or am I missing something there?

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe I'm mis-reading this .... it sounds like the "user mode" is just a regular click-to-get-next-level interface with memory. Or am I missing something there?

+

I was really optimistic thinking you could momentary signal in both modes,,looks only for the Turbo mode {tightened}
..so yes, loosened head is a multi-mode w/ memory.

______________18650 EDC'ish size ^

Last edited:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's too bad ... so the example use cases in the ad don't really work ... if an officer fires it off on strobe, and turns it off and back on again too quickly, it could come on in low, making it unacceptable for this usage. On the other hand, it sounds like the head-tightened turbo mode is actually perfect for this type of use, if turbo is the only thing you need a momentary for. Still useful, though it feels like they missed an opportunity to make it more so.