DX.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good AA LED Flaslight

Flashaholic

Default Re: Superbright AA flashlight for travel and general purpose

Quote Originally Posted by M@elstrom View Post
    Is that purely an Airline policy? CASA has guidelines HERE that state cells up to 100Wh can be transported in carry-on luggage (including spares ie. single cells).

Using the provided formula Watt hours (Wh) = Amps (Ah) x Voltage (v) let's calculate the Wh of a single 18650 Li-Ion, 2.8Ah x4.2v = 11.76Wh

Thus...

8 x 18650 (@ 11.76Wh each) = 94.08Wh total well under the carry-on limit of 100Wh for Li-Ion chemistry cells
    Maelstrom, you've got some solid 1st year physics happening there.

Here is an extract from a QANTAS webpage (Aussie Airline). You may well be correct! I used to always see the signs saying no flammables, no lithium, no corrosives etc but I think you are correct! Sad in a way, now I don't have a reason to buy a great new flashlight (I will anyway though). Thanks very much.
    Portable electronic devices containing lithium or lithium ion cells or batteries and Spare lithium or lithium ion cells or batteries

• Spare Lithium ion batteries and cells with a Watt hour rating greater than 160Wh, are not permitted on an aircraft under any circumstances.
    • Spare lithium ion batteries and cells with a Watt hour rating of between 100Wh and 160Wh are limited to two batteries per passenger. Batteries must have terminals insulated or protected to prevent short circuit and must be carried in cabin baggage only. – Operator approval is required for these prior to travel.
    • Spare Lithium ion batteries and cells with a Watt hour rating or less than 100Wh have no limit to the number that can be carried, batteries must have terminals insulated or protected to prevent short circuit and must be carried in cabin baggage only
    • Spare Lithium metal or Lithium alloy batteries with a lithium content of less than 2 grams have no limit to the number that can be carried, however, batteries must have terminals insulated or protected to prevent short circuit and must be carried in cabin baggage only.
    • If batteries are installed in equipment such as laptop computers, camera, calculators etc – the above limits still apply, however they can be carried as checked baggage, provided the electronic device is protected from accidental activation.

If you can bring on a laptop/cell phone you should be able to bring a 18650.

Sunwayman V10A has a ring the ZL SC80 can run on a AA or a CR123

The Jetbeam RRT-0 and Sunwayman V10R and V11R all have rings and AA extenders to run on AA's
    Fenix LD01 R4, E05 R4, PD31, TK20, TK35, E11, Jetbeam BC25, RRT-0, Klarus NT20, iTP A3 R5, A3 Ti S2, 4Sevens Preon 1, Quark X 123^2, Sunwayman V10R Ti, Surefire G2X Tactical, ThruNite TN31, Mag-Lite XL50, Mag 2D XP-E

Foursevens Quark AA^2 XML (QP2A-X) with Tactical interface. One of my all-time favorite general use lights.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by TheCleanerSD View Post
    Foursevens Quark AA^2 XML (QP2A-X) with Tactical interface. One of my all-time favorite general use lights.

I quite like the quarks and nitecore explorers. Tending towards a fatter form factor. Mag 200XL, sunwayman m30a, olight s35 etc.

The one I think i'm going to choose is the LED LENSER MT7 4x AAA light. I know lots of people hate lensers, but I want to try the focus.
    Its $180 at the shops and I can get it for $70 so I'm going to buy it (and probably many others suggested here too).

Cheers! Might order a S35 baton too. Comfortable to hold. I've linked to this thread a few times already when people ask about AA lights. GREAT suggestions.

Unenlightened

Default Need a good AA light

After reading the litho stories all over the net, I don't want to chance going with anything but AA for now. I have a lot of eneloops anyways. I have 2 of the 7w 300lmn tomtop lights but looking for something a bit bigger. I don't mind 2 or 3 x AA. I'd like a bit wider of a light, instead of a narrow beam. I'd like it to possibly last 2-3hrs, but looking for something in the 300-800lmn range and under $20 if possible. Some of the R5s 500-800lmn I've seen only hold 1xAA, I can't imagine it lasting more than 1 hour. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Need a good AA light

Try balder SE-1 about 20 or R5-A3 about 15 there off?

And going gear is having a sale on Quarks 2xaa Use coupon code winteriscoming for 10% off additional. these will come in at about 40 tho.
    Last edited by Newuser01; 10-16-2012 at 08:52 PM.
    Noob
    Poor noob who want some lights.

Enlightened

If you want a wide beam look for lights with XML led.

Default Re: Good AA LED Flaslight

Quote Originally Posted by Dimt View Post
    Any recommendations for a AA LED flashlight with the on/off button on the barrel of the flashlight instead of the button on the end? I find the end button annoying. Maybe I'm just too set in my ways. I have a Dorcey AAA flashlight with this configuration but would like to use my Eneloop AA's in similar flashlight.
    Try the Photon Proton Pro.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Newuser01 View Post
    Try balder SE-1 about 20 or R5-A3 about 15 there off?

And going gear is having a sale on Quarks 2xaa Use coupon code winteriscoming for 10% off additional. these will come in at about 40 tho.
    Balder feels nice for a cheaper option. I've used one for a few minutes.

"winter is coming" .. I think they're fans of GAME OF THRONES. haha

Advice is very good on this thread. Have enjoyed reading. Cheers & thankyou.