Storacell
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Ode to a Spy", or "Why the SW GG Spy IS worth every penny!" VERY PHOTO HEAVY!!

Enlightened

Default Re: "Ode to a Spy", or "Why the SW GG Spy IS worth every penny!" VERY PHOTO HEAVY!!

Why not have a tailor add a Spy Pocket to the pocket inside your right pocket?
    Tailoring pants for a flashlight would have to rank pretty high on the flashaholic scale.
    Then you could get an exotic skin sheath made for that pocket just to bump it up a notch.
    After which you could get the shoes, belt, boots, and motorcycle seat to go with it.

But then that brings up the matter of what motorcycle would go best with a swgg spy?

Nice pictures of beautiful gadgets always make my mind race with possibilities.

Default Re: "Ode to a Spy", or "Why the SW GG Spy IS worth every penny!" VERY PHOTO HEAVY!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Ament View Post
    When it comes to posts than can have sexually deviant connotations I would be a little careful if I were you, because apparently the mods here rule with an iron fist and you may just find that you will have one of them on your back, so to speak!
    Hey Phil, who said anything about sexually deviant connations? That must just be your dirty little mind playing tricks on you. p.s. I am a Mod.

Here's the P7 suspension clip, ball bearing stainless swivel, and, of course, my 007...

Now THAT'S cool.

Dan,

As always excellent write up and pictures.
    I have a question about the stonewash finish,how does it compare to the Stonewash on your XM-18?
    I see you have one on the last picture but i can't really tell!?

Quote Originally Posted by Light11 View Post
    Dan,

As always excellent write up and pictures.
    I have a question about the stonewash finish,how does it compare to the Stonewash on your XM-18?
    I see you have one on the last picture but i can't really tell!?
    OK! Here are a few photos - hopefully they'll answer your question! (And thanks for the kind comments...)

Last edited by run4jc; 07-21-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Thank you Dan.
    Very kind of you to take more pictures.
    To my eyes the Spy does not look as stonewashed as the Hinderer...but very,very close
    I have a Spy on the way and wanted to know if the finish was a close match

My pleasure Sergio! And you make a correct assessment - the stonewashing is a bit deeper on the XM, but they look really nice together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dan, it's out of your pocket!

Quote Originally Posted by arewethereyetdad View Post
    Dan, it's out of your pocket!
    Yep - you caught me. I actually take it out on occasion to take a photo...or even USE it!!

Quote Originally Posted by run4jc View Post
    It's working.

The 007 SWGG and XM-18, a match made in SW heaven.
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!

Nice new toy, Dan. I wouldn't mind seeing that gunner-grip pattern on a few other lights. Those pictures make me want another SPY something fierce. If only there were an option to have a McGizmo-clip hardpoint machined onto one of the sides, then I could really justify it, because then I'd actually carry it. For me it's just too big to drop into a pocket, regardless of whether the pocket is otherwise empty. Even my Ti Aeon occasionally bugs my right thigh, and it's tiny by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by RIDE View Post
    I'm the same....I EDC my all my lights....and if not, then off it goes. I wouldn't toss any of my ti lights in the same pocket as my keys, but point well taken that the finish of this light can withstand a ton of abuse.
    Call me crazy, but I intentionally carry my Ti Sapphire in the same pocket as my keys (and a bit of bike chain, to fiddle with), and my Ti Aeon in the same pocket as my mini multi-tool. The whole point of having a titanium flashlight is that you can treat it roughly with zero negative consequences. It seems a waste of the material and the money used to buy it if it's just going to be handled with white gloves. If I wanted a light that I valued purely for its surface finish, I'd buy one with rhodium plating instead of stonewashed titanium.

I suppose I got over the "pristine finish" worry after I accidentally tossed my Haiku into the air and watched it slam onto concrete, with only the tiniest of dings to show for it. Carrying titanium in a pocket with other lightweight metal objects will do nothing by comparison.
    Last edited by fyrstormer; 07-25-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
    Nice new toy, Dan. I wouldn't mind seeing that gunner-grip pattern on a few other lights. Those pictures make me want another SPY something fierce. If only there were an option to have a McGizmo-clip hardpoint machined onto one of the sides, then I could really justify it, because then I'd actually carry it. For me it's just too big to drop into a pocket, regardless of whether the pocket is otherwise empty. Even my Ti Aeon occasionally bugs my right thigh, and it's tiny by comparison.
    Thanks, Shawn. The gunner grip is awesome. I 'rocketed' up to 3 007s (!!) just like "that", and 2 of them are standard finish. The standard finish ones are still beautiful, and one was used and will be carried after the refurb, but this GG goes deep into my pocket and I'm used to it. I was in a suit all day yesterday and carried it with my truck key, remote (fob) and a Preon 0. (Left my house keys in the truck). Didn't bother me a bit! It IS heavy - it is a serious chunk of titanium - but I've grow accustomed to carrying it. Scout24's clip idea seems a viable alternative, plus it looks cool. He says it is easy to unclip and use, and the little bit of extra stuff created by the clip and swivel is not noticeable. The only reason I haven't set at least one of mine up that way so far is the fact that I like having my tiny bead on a lanyard. Still, it would be easy enough to find a way to attach a tiny bead!

... The whole point of having a titanium flashlight is that you can treat it roughly with zero negative consequences....
    +1

Here's the line up now...

252 is away at the 'spa'...

529 arrived 7/25, and the subject of the OP, 586 - missing knob o ring now replaced!

(UPDATE - 529 went to live with Troy...I'll eventually replace it with another SWGG!)
    Last edited by run4jc; 08-18-2012 at 05:08 AM.

The whole point of having a titanium flashlight is that you can treat it roughly with zero negative consequences. It seems a waste of the material and the money used to buy it if it's just going to be handled with white gloves.
    There are tons of reasons why people buy titanium flashlights (durability, rust-proofness, weight, cool factor, etc.). So "treating it roughly" is not the whole point. And who said anything about handling it with white gloves? My point is simply that I handle my Ti lights as I do ALL my lights: normally, without worry, but also giving them their own pockets so that they don't invite scratches, dings, etc. by carrying them with other objects. That's hardly treating them with kid gloves!

Now, having said that, I will say that I am buying a Spy 007 SWGG. Not so that I can throw it in my pocket with coins, keys, knives and whatever nonsense, but because I like the look of this light! It's grown on me in the past few weeks, so I'm getting one. Is that so wrong? Thanks, Dan, for your testimonial to this great light.

It's grown on me in the past few weeks, so I'm getting one. Is that so wrong? Thanks, Dan, for your testimonial to this great light.
    Congrats - good choice! Nothing wrong with that - I believe that you'll love it, whatever your motivation. I'm glad the testimonial helped!

Now, having said that, I will say that I am buying a Spy 007 SWGG. Not so that I can throw it in my pocket with coins, keys, knives and whatever nonsense, but because I like the look of this light!
    Nonsense? Really? Nonsense? Keys, coins? Hmmm - here's my nonsense in my right pocket:

And in my left - the iPhone is always in a battery booster case and has a screen protector. The knife is, well, if you don't know...

Anyone's motivation is anyone's motivation, and as has been said here time and time again, "to each his own." And by the way, yesterday pristine new Spy 007, neutral white, regular finish number 529 arrived from Data's labs to Dan's hands and it is beautiful. I might not pocket carry it with keys and such - just to keep it purdy, at least for a while.

But back to the purpose of this thread ORIGINALLY - to speak to the quality and pleasure of ownership that is associated with the Spy 007 SWGG. Whatever any individual chooses to do with it is their own choice. I choose to carry mine with all my 'nonsense', and oh, by the way - not a scratch is yet to be seen.

Coming here makes me want to get a SW GG 007 so badly. I got my Tri-V and love how versatile it is, but it's definitely not as tough as the 007.

Decisions decisions decisions.....
    I'm Ryan.

There are tons of reasons why people buy titanium flashlights (durability, rust-proofness, weight, cool factor, etc.). So "treating it roughly" is not the whole point.
    Weight and cool-factor are matters of taste, and as we all know there's no accounting for taste. Functionally though, I'm pretty sure durability and rust-proofness are included in my previously-stated goal of "being able to treat it roughly without negative consequences". Certainly nobody would be comfortable with dropping a fancy titanium light on the ground and leaving it out in the rain, but squeamish about putting it in their pocket with their keys and loose change, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

And who said anything about handling it with white gloves?
    Nobody literally mentioned white-glove handling, but that's how I choose to interpret dedicating an entire pocket to a single item. It suggests the item can't withstand contact with other items, and/or the owner can't withstand the thought of it contacting other items.

- - -

I wonder if Dave could be talked into making Aleph-compatible battery tubes with the gunner-grip texture? It would be an awesome alternative to the usual knurling and circumferential ridges that other battery tubes have.

Had to part ways with my P7 clip, it is WAY too tight-gripping on jeans or my work cargos. Dress slacks or running shorts were fine. I tried tweaking it to work better, no dice. Awaiting a DTS Dangler which appears to have a much wider area under the clip. So, 0309 has been riding deep in my pocket with assorted nonsense, rattling around when not being used. I actually got it dirty today! Under my son's car changing oil. A bit of glass cleaner and a clean rag, good as new. That said, there is a pristine Seoul 007 waiting for me at work tomorrow morning that will be limited to indoor at-home use if the beam is as smooth and as nice as I remember. Troy- I'll post a few pics in six months or so when 0309's a bit more broken in... For those who asked for a stainless steel ball bearing swivel, they're going out in tomorrow's mail, I haven't forgotten about you...

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    0309 has been riding deep in my pocket with assorted nonsense
    Too funny, Greg,

...I intentionally carry my Ti Sapphire in the same pocket as my keys (and a bit of bike chain, to fiddle with), and my Ti Aeon in the same pocket as my mini multi-tool. The whole point of having a titanium flashlight is that you can treat it roughly with zero negative consequences. It seems a waste of the material and the money used to buy it if it's just going to be handled with white gloves. If I wanted a light that I valued purely for its surface finish, I'd buy one with rhodium plating instead of stonewashed titanium.

I suppose I got over the "pristine finish" worry after I accidentally tossed my Haiku into the air and watched it slam onto concrete, with only the tiniest of dings to show for it. Carrying titanium in a pocket with other lightweight metal objects will do nothing by comparison.
    One of the primary reasons I like titanium as well, and as such, stonewashing is without exception, my favorite finish.
    Titanium that has been used looks great, and stonewashing just gets it there that much quicker.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

A couple of weeks into my "pocketwashing" of the finish... No Gunner Grip, though...

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    A couple of weeks into my "pocketwashing" of the finish... No Gunner Grip, though...

Wow! What kinds of nonsense were in that pocket?

WTG Greg!!!

BTW, love the term: pocketwashing

I just received my first Spy. I've always wanted one, and this thread has finally tipped me over the edge. Not a gunner's grip, but mine is going to get a pocket washing with all the detritus of my day to day work. Can't wait!

LOVE the SWGG!

Nice Troy!