"Ode to a Spy", or "Why the SW GG Spy IS worth every penny!" VERY PHOTO HEAVY!!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Ode to a Spy", or "Why the SW GG Spy IS worth every penny!" VERY PHOTO HEAVY!!

It's kind of an overcast, muggy day here in northern Virginia – a lazy day, too. I love photography, I enjoy writing, and I absolutely LOVE my new Spy 007 cool XPG Stone Washed Gunner grip light that I received yesterday, straight from the hands of Data!

Combine those things and there's bound to be a photo essay, ode, review, whatever you want to call it.

If you are reading this you probably fit into one of several categories (or a combination of):

1 - You already own one or more Spies – or have owned a Spy or Spies – and you just enjoy reading about one of your favorite tools/lights….and you already "get it" (probably much more so than I)

2 - You think anyone who'd spend this kind of cash on a flashlight is nuts…

3 - Or, you are considering investing in one of these awesome tools.

If you are "1" or "2", I probably won't affect your thinking or your position. (You know who you are…) But if you are in the # 3 category, please read along. Perhaps somewhere in this overly verbose posting you'll find something of value or help.

At one point in my flashaholism I owned 3 (or 4) Spies at one time. Understand, I work for a living – married, 2 kids (one in college and one about to be), with a mortgage and all the 'stuff' that a family is required to deal with. Don't get me wrong – I have a good job, but I also live in one of the most expensive areas in the country to live in. My point? I ain't rich! Not even close! I work HARD to support and provide for my family!

Sadly, a year or so ago I sold all my Spies. Oh, I've had (and have) many of the fine tools from the 4 "Ms" (McGizmo, Mac, Milky, Malkoff) as well as Endeavor, Dark Sucks, and quite a few other awesome quality lighting tools. But for some reason I sold off my Spies – call it flashaholism immaturity? The constant search for the 'next thing?' :crazy:

But then one day my friend Scout24 and I were talking, and he mentioned that he'd been surfing around the Spy forum. I'd been by there a few times, and found it interesting that both of us were snooping. Reading comments from PSM, Shado, SOYCD, AWTYD, Launch Mini, chipwillis, and many others, and viewing photos of their beautiful collections, reminded me of why I enjoyed the ownership of Spies in the past. It only took a few minutes for me to decide it was time to jump back in!

But I wanted it to be different this time. NO SHELF QUEEN. I wanted a light that I could carry all the time with no second thoughts about surface scratches, etc. I confess that my other Spies spent most of their time on shelves or in cases – always concerned over avoiding any scratches that might lower the resale value, hence preventing myself from really using and enjoying them.

I read about the Stonewashed Gunner Grip – Hmmm. Interesting. A finish that is grippier while reported as being 'soft' and 'smooth' – a finish that won't show scratches because it is already stonewashed. I read Data's comments that it takes 2 days or so just to create this finish, and there was/is a significant cost premium. But it looked as though it might be the answer, and although I waffled a bit, the decision was made to press forward and go for the SW GG Spy 007, in cool white XPG. Sure, I love neutral tints, but reports of this beam were that it is a beautiful snowy white, artifact free beam that offers the maximum amount of lumens from the XPG emitter – an emitter that is still one of my favorites.

The hard part was waiting, but Dave was understanding and communicative, and what seemed like such a long time was in effect, only a week or so. The light arrived, and I did just what I said I'd do, I dropped it in my pocket with my keys and that's where it has remained. And where it will remain! I use it at night (for the ultra low), I use it during the day – and I'll carry it on dog walks in the dark. I do use another quality floody light for dog walks, but the Spy is with me for when I need a bit more throw. It covers all the bases.

So enough of my rampant verbosity. Let's look at some photos that will hopefully give insight into why I KNOW this light is worth every penny!

Round flashlights are still cool, and the custom varieties of the old standby round tube still present their share of challenges for custom builders, but to me, the skill, knowledge and care required to mill this beautiful shape out of a block of titanium is beyond my comprehension.

As you look at the following photos, think about the angles, curves, etc., that have to be cut to create this shape… CNC, computer programming, whatever - it is still amazing to me that this can be done. Incidentally, these photos have nothing added, but many of them are combinations of 3 or 4 exposures of the same photo using HDR processing. Not to add or take anything away, but to ensure that the details are easily seen. The details are so intricate and fascinating that I hope these photos allow you to get an idea of just how amazing this little light is!

Spy+profile+smooth.jpg

Spy+butt+smooth.jpg

Spy+upright+smooth.jpg

Spy+lying+down+natural.jpg

Face+shot+lying+down.jpg

lying+down+beam.jpg

Now for some close ups of the angles
Data engraves the tiniest of letters to show the pedigree of this light, right into the rails for the rail mount

cool+fall+smooth.jpg

Mine is serial number 586.

serial+number+B%40.jpg

Angle shot of the rail mount - just amazingly intricate detail

rail+smooth.jpg

Here's a close up of the gunner grip. It makes the light so easy to hold, while offering an almost 'soft' feel to the sides of the light. I am amazed at the level of craftsmanship this detail demonstrates!

GG+Natural.jpg

I used black and white on some photos, such as the next two, because it gives a bit more perspective into the crazy number of angles, divots, etc., that Dave has to mill into the battery cover. And then install a spring loaded release – it's just fascinating to me – and it always works.

Battery+cover+BW.jpg

Springs+BW.jpg

Then there's the body where the batteries go in and the cover attaches. Two tiny but strong posts milled into the body – and the intricate detail where the batteries are inserted.

battery+section+natural.jpg

Oh, look down that battery section – there's some technology goin' on up in there!! ;)

circuit+board+photographic.jpg

Then there's the control knob. "Really Dan – you are pointing out the control knob?" Why, yes, I am. Look at the pattern Dave mills into the knob! At a glance you might not notice, but when you take a look at a close up you realize that this detail alone is amazing!

knob+painterly.jpg

Then where that knob joins the body – that amazing 6 level rotary switch with its satisfying click. I won't get into the levels of technology required to give this light one of its most sophisticated features – 6 totally programmable levels – and oh, 4 different banks of programming – as well as resets, battery tests, level reporting, on and on. Yet when you learn to program it, it becomes second nature.

neck+smooth.jpg

Then there's the perfectly centered emitter, sitting inside the brass centering ring, all behind a perfect orange peel reflector – all combined to create, to me, a perfect combination of throw and spill (did I over use the word "perfect"?)

emitter+off+natural.jpg

emitter+low+smooth.jpg

emitter+shot.jpg

Oh, I mentioned that I dropped it in my pocket with my keys. Not just one or two keys, but a bunch of keys all connected with a couple of split rings and a survival / paracord apparatus. (Roll Tide!)

pocket+contents+painterly.jpg

Finally, some "eye candy"

Glock+Rolex+MP.jpg

So is this the light for you? Dunno – that's a personal decision one makes based upon need and willingness to invest. But it is absolutely a light for me, and for many other members of this forum. And yes, it is worth every penny to me. Dave doesn't create these things in an afternoon. Countless hours/days/months/years of creative and technical planning, programming, trial and error, testing then finally hours and hours of milling and assembling, then re-testing.

And you are allowed pride of ownership in a product that excels – and should you ever decide that you need to part with it, you can rest assured that you'll get most or all of your hard-earned money back out of it.

So thanks for reading along. Almost 1400 words and 20+ photos, but maybe now you have a slightly better understanding of why Data's lights are clamored for – and worth every penny!

Re: "Ode to a Spy", or "Why the SW GG Spy IS worth every penny!" VERY PHOTO HEAVY!!

Dan, why? Why do you do this to us? Now you've convinced me to grab a Spy again. Thanks for NOTHIN' pal. ;) J/K, I really do miss having one. Guess I'm gonna have to shed a few shelf queens and grab one. Nice write up! :thumbsup:

scout24

Flashaholic
Re: "Ode to a Spy", or "Why the SW GG Spy IS worth every penny!" VERY PHOTO HEAVY!!

With ALL due respect, and apologies, to USMC Major General Rupertus... "There are many like it, but this one is mine..." :) Dan- Awesome photography and summary of a fantastic light!

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast

Finally an in-depth review of the SPY. Thank you!

:thumbsup:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

Fantastic write up Dan, as usual. :)

Great pics too!

I think I'll pull this Milky MOAL out of my pocket and carry my SPY SWGG the rest of the day. :D

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great write up. Glad you're using it as it should be.

Now I'm thinking an XPG would be a great addition.

coloradogps

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dan,

Great write up and photos!

I have a few SPY007 lights.

Would like to get a SPY007 XPG in Cool White soon.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

RIDE

Enlightened

LOVED the write up! And this light has been calling me as well....just seems to be the PERFECT combination for form and function. I too LOVE round lights....but the design of the SPY 007 is just so perfect for pocket carry.

I own but one SPY....my beloved Tri-V. I use it often, but treat it with great care and it looks as good today as it did day one. But I do long for that light I can just toss in my pocket without worry and use when needed. THIS IS THAT LIGHT!

Great job!

RIDE

scout24

Flashaholic

I think half of the views of this thread are mine... :eek:

CMAG

Enlightened

I think half of the views of this thread are mine... :eek:
My first view but not my last.
#576 (neutral xml) may need a brother with SWGG option
:sick2:why did I look at this thread
:thumbsup:good read and photo's
:sick2:why did I look:confused:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, all. I really appreciate all the kind comments - this OP was quite a labor of love. But the Spy is the star of the show! This week my job called for me to travel - today from my home in northern Virginia (DC area) down to where I sit as I type this, San Antonio, Texas. I usually grab one of my less expensive lights when I travel, but not this trip. Trusty SWGG Spy XPG reported for duty - through airport security and right on down to San Antone! It's sitting beside me even now.

I have one other light that I enjoy for after dark dog walks, but every - EVERY - other minute of the day, this Spy is my chosen light. And even when I use that other (really nice) light, my Spy is in my pocket for backup - with my keys, I might add :p

That gunner grip shows no 'booboos!' Again, it's worth every penny!

Last edited:

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast

As much as I carry mine, I can't keep it in the same pocket as my keys.
Two reasons
- do t want to scratch the lens
- I've accidentally put my SPY in a pocket with my iPhone and ruined the screen. So one item per pocket prevents accidental damage.

Two reasons
- I've accidentally put my SPY in a pocket with my iPhone and ruined the screen. So one item per pocket prevents accidental damage.

+1. There is NO way, SWGG or otherwise, that I would ever put a light of mine - any light - in a pocket with ANYthing else. With all due respect, Dan, I prefer shiny machine finish titanium lights (like the regular Spy 007), not bead blasted, powder coated, anodized, stone washed, ceracoated, or any other treatment. And because of "the light gets its own pocket" EDC rule, I never worry EDC'ing any of them. Having said all THAT, the SWGG look IS cool and does seem tough! :twothumbs

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Two reasons

I carry my iPhone in my left pocket, keys in right - and I agree about wanting to avoid scratching the iPhone screen. It's a lot tougher to replace than a Spy lens! As for scratching the lens, it could happen, but so far so good. I drop the Spy in my pocket bezel up and the lens hasn't been scratched, plus I am not reckless with it. IMHO, about the only way the lens might get scratched is if I fell on my side and a key gouged its way inside the bezel ring.

+1. There is NO way, SWGG or otherwise, that I would ever put a light of mine - any light - in a pocket with ANYthing else. With all due respect, Dan, I prefer shiny machine finish titanium lights (like the regular Spy 007), not bead blasted, powder coated, anodized, stone washed, ceracoated, or any other treatment. And because of "the light gets its own pocket" EDC rule, I never worry EDC'ing any of them. Having said all THAT, the SWGG look IS cool and does seem tough! :twothumbs

To each his own!! :thumbsup: I like shiny ones, too, but I also LOVE this SWGG finish, and it begs to be carried wherever. I'll not put it next to anything that might gouge it or cause a deep scratch, but it continues to 'ride' with my keys and it looks exactly like it did when I got it on Saturday.

It IS tough - and it will be carried!

My post wasn't intended to convince everyone to drop their shiny ti into their key pocket and say "scratches be da*ned - no, it was just an ode to how tough and useable the light is. Again, to each his own!

The Spy is (to me) the pinnacle of the EDC, and I intend to EDC it! lovecpf

scout24

Flashaholic

As much as I like my shiny lights, and am in awe of the machining work that goes into the lights Dave makes, I bought my current 007 as a tool. I think they look nice with some personalization, scrarches and scuffs add to the finish. :) I have a Haiku that I've carried and used HARD for the last 2 1/2 years, and it's certainly showing it's use. Almost seems to reach a point where you don't notice new marks. Everyone is certainly welcome to do what they wish with things they own, but mine was bought to be carried and used without worrying about it or babying it. I get more enjoyment from using it than I did from admiring the ones I owned in the past.

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast

Awesome post! You touched on all points that make this light a spectacular light. But to add to this. It's not just the machining and attention to physical detail that makes this an awesome light, it's the software and customization and reporting as well. And you just have to have one in your hand and use it for little bit to fully appreciate the thought that was put into the design.

Here's a little secret for you guys that I discovered. The Xeno TW15 diffuser wand is about 2mm smaller in diameter than the head of the Spy. With just a little bit of sanding (or machining if you have a lathe) you can have a perfectly fitted diffuser wand for your Spy007. And given the natural tailstanding nature of the Spy, it makes a GREAT lantern! I'll have to post a pic of it when I get home. :)

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast

I tried my keys & my SPY in my right front pocket. It didn't bother me them being there together, BUT, when I tried to pull out my light, with the lanyard, it got hooked on my keys.
As for programming, something for me to remember easily
Slot 1 - for my "Main" settings. A low low, and full high.
Slot 2 - For long battery. Really low low, and I scaled back high to 750
Slot 3 - Factory default. I remember this as you PU3 for reset
Slot 4 - for playing. Right now, P5 is 1000 P6 is max. Just so I can see the difference from default to max.

mine was bought to be carried and used without worrying about it or babying it. I get more enjoyment from using it than I did from admiring the ones I owned in the past.
I use the crap out of EVERY one of my lights and don't baby them. On the other hand, I don't put my EDC light in harm's way, either - why put it in a pocket with coins or keys, or lay it on the ground on concrete, or place it in a position where it could fall and get dinged? I carry and use my lights a LOT but I'm also careful with them as well. ;) Having said all that, the idea of having an SWGG version is growing on me daily. And I have nobody to blame but.......

Dan. :D

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

Troy, you really need to try the SWGG. I mean plain Ti is so yesterday. :D

shado

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dan as usual, a great review :thumbsup: The more I see and hear about the 007 SWGG, the more I want one! My father taught me "If you take care of your tools, they'll take care of you" and like Troy I EDC with care :)