Tritium zip pull..

Status
Not open for further replies.

stjohn

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,
not sure if this is the correct forum so please let me know if it isn't!

I just designed and made a tritium zip pull and would love to get some feedback from you guys here. This is the design prototype and is made from solid silver. It contains four tritium cells, 2mmx10mm each. I used red and green to start with. The idea behind it was for people who climb mountains (I am a keen ice climber). I wanted something that would let me see my zip as the light started to go down and enable me to control the zip easily wearing big gloves - I think it succeeds on those counts..! What do you guys think? If there is any interest I can make more available out of any material - I am thinking titanium...

cheers,
st.john

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
Without seeing pictures can't be a whole lot of help. My only concern is silver although a nice metal to work with might be too soft to protect the glass tritium tubes from being cracked.

stjohn

Newly Enlightened
Just worked out how to post the image - thanks Mohan and Henk!

stjohn

Newly Enlightened
65535: silver is the prototype material - this shows the form and function. I can produce it out of any material, I am thinking titanium which is lite, fairly tough and also takes a good range of nice anodized finishes and textures..

cheers, stjohn

stjohn

Newly Enlightened
Hi Alex,
thanks! Well my job is as a design and production engineer and this is what I do all the time. I also love doing it so that is a big advantage for me. Ice climbing is one of my hobbies (I am the inventor of Schmoolz) and I came up with this idea so I could control the zip on my technical clothing better. If you are wearing big gloves it can be a major effort to pull your zip especially if you are pumped halfway up a pitch and blowing out of your arse :grin2:. Using this I can grab the zip easy and also see it easy if I am still on a route and light is going down. Time wise it took about a week or two on and off to design and develop the idea then make the prototype. Production now is straight forward, I programme my machines, set the job off and watch the parts fall into the part bin... - easy when you know how and it only took me 20 years to learn! lol..

cheers, st.john

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stainless Steel (cheaper) & titanium (slightly more exotic material) would be great :thumbsup:

nbp

Flashaholic
Very cool; Ti would be sweet. The appetite for Ti trit beads around here is high now, it's a good time to do these I think.

stjohn

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,
ok, I have made some design changes! I will put up some pictures here to show you. I would like to take pre-orders if that is possible. it will be a 3 trit, titanium material, bead blast finish zip pull coming in at around 30 euros - 5 euro discount for pre-orders. anodising will also be possible (standard colours).

Trits will be secured in place and protected with a clear potting compound (norland or similar). Shipping is from europe to anywhere..

Pictures to go up soon!

cheers,
st.john

Last edited:

stjohn

Newly Enlightened
hi Light11! diameter will be 3.25mm - big enough for 2x1.5mm cord and still tight enough for it not to float around :D

stjohn

Newly Enlightened
I think this will be the final design (youtube animation) :http://youtu.be/k4UlwJQY42o I have spent quite a bit of time on this and have all the manufacturing processes in place ready to go.

Holds 3 tritium light sources, 3x10mm, sealed with norland in a bead blasted titanium body. Going to go for a price of 30 euros a piece plus postage anywhere in the world (recorded airmail). Colours available green and red. Ice blue if a demand for it! Taking pre-orders now for an approx 3/4 week delivery time. If anyone would like one or more details please email me, [email protected]

I hope this post is ok and not contravening any rules... (just let me know if it is)

Any questions or queries fire away!
many thanks, stjohn

Status
Not open for further replies.