Upgrade MiniMag, or buy something else?

Al Thumbs

Newly Enlightened
I have three incandescent MiniMags laying about unused. I could get the Terralux insert for $14 and upgrade them, but I wonder if there is another light that I can get new and complete for around the same price that is a better value? I searched this topic, and most of the previous discussion on this is five years old. What's the deal today?

As a frame of reference, my entire stable of lights are two AAA Fenixes, two Lowe's Task Force 2Cs, and a Zebralight H51.

Are the MiniMags worth an investment?

Thanks.
Al Thumbs

CMAG

Enlightened
you can get a new factory led mini mag for under $20 comes with 2xAA and a holster

Gunner12

Flashaholic
for $10 you can get these upgrades. Might turn the minimags in to good single mode beater/loaner lights:

MJ 2AA drop-in (2 pack)
Niteize 1w drop-in (With clickie, With multimode IQ switch)
Niteize 3 LED drop-in, 3 5mm LED (Niteize drop-in page)

You could also just stick a 3mm LED in place of the bulb and have a really low output light. It will run for a good long time and could make a decent emergency light. You might have to tweak the pins of the LED a bit.

Depending on how much you are willing to spend and what you plan on doing with the lights, it might be better to buy new ones.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you really are attached to the mini mag form you could get the pro+ for $35 on amazon, it all really depends on what you are looking for in a light.... for $35 a whole host of different lights that outshine the mag are possible

even if you want to stick to using regular primaries (aa and aaa cells) there are some budget lights such as the sipik sk68 that can be had for as little as $6 on ebay that will run off a single aa

what are you looking for in a light? or just looking to upgrade what you have?

Pinetreebbs

Newly Enlightened
for $10 you can get these upgrades. Might turn the minimags in to good single mode beater/loaner lights:

MJ 2AA drop-in (2 pack)

You could also just stick a 3mm LED in place of the bulb and have a really low output light. It will run for a good long time and could make a decent emergency light. You might have to tweak the pins of the LED a bit.

Depending on how much you are willing to spend and what you plan on doing with the lights, it might be better to buy new ones.

After discovering LED lights I just couldn't throw away my old Maglites. I successfully used the Nite Ize LUC2-07 L.E.D. combo kit conversions on a pair of MinMags. They are handy lights for my computer workbench. The triple LED setup is a better task light than a spot light.

Al Thumbs

Newly Enlightened
what are you looking for in a light? or just looking to upgrade what you have?

I don't have a specific use in mind for these lights. They're not being used now; after one sees some decent LED lights, how can you go back to an incandescent Mag? Were it cost-effective, I'd upgrade, but I see from these posts that it's not. I am not in love with the MiniMag form factor at all.

Thanks!
AT

Al Thumbs

Newly Enlightened

MJ 2AA drop-in (2 pack)

Thanks for the links, very helpful. I might try the Niteize w/clickie, just to save one of these Minis, but it doesn't seem like upgrading them is cost effective vs. a new light.

AT

rambo180

Enlightened
Thanks for the links, very helpful. I might try the Niteize w/clickie, just to save one of these Minis, but it doesn't seem like upgrading them is cost effective vs. a new light.

AT

I had an old AA minimag. Recently upgraded the switch and LED with Terralux gear ($30 incl. postage). Regret it. Its brighter for sure, but the zoom motion isn't as wide of a range and not as smooth. Just buy a new light mate. Shiningbeam do some nice cheap AAs.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
2AA Minimag Pro: 1 mode 226 OTF lumens $24.99;
2AA Minimag Pro+: 2 mode 245 OTF lumens $28.99.
available at zbattery, brightguy and Amazon.

ps56k

Enlightened
I keep running across my minimags in various drawers, camping equip, car trunks, etc - Must have 5 or 6 just laying around. Some are like brand new in their holsters, and a couple have their reflectors all cracked.

Hard to toss - hard to keep - hard to upgrade - (sorta like women)

Slidder

Newly Enlightened
In the same boat, have a couple of mini's around, but I see its better to just chuck them..

How about the 12" 3 battery larger one, worth upgrading to led, or are there better choices out there for the same kind of money in upgrading.

LuxClark

Newly Enlightened
I bought the Nite Ize upgrade for mini-mag to have the LED and tail button. It works fine and I like it but the only downside is that you have to turn the head out quit a bit before the light will function due to the LED replacement. It is too the point that you can almost see the threads. I'm ok with it but it is farther our than I would like.