LED Luminaire tester needed - Complications

LightLady

Newly Enlightened
Hello all-

I'm new to this forum so please forgive my lack of technical terms. My company is looking for someone experienced in LED luminaire metrology to test various electrical, thermal, and optical characteristics of our products, an independant contractor who may happen to have this equipment on hand. We will need tests/reports for everything from A19 bubls to tubes.

My question is - Am I nuts to try to find someone with this type of equipment "laying around?" I've read various threads about certain equipment, ie. the integrating spheres, and it seems like a lot of work to maintain, as well as that it's sizable equipment to have in ones garage. Any input from the professionals (all of you) would be much appreciated. I've put in calls to labratories as well for prices, I just wanted to explore all options.

Thanks in advance!
Kat-

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
I guess it depends on how "official" you want your data to be; seems quite a few guys here have the capabilities (eg. saabluster, see XP-G2 thread), but as to whether their equipment is "properly calibrated" or more a rough indicator, I don't know.

SemiMan

Banned
Hello all-

I'm new to this forum so please forgive my lack of technical terms. My company is looking for someone experienced in LED luminaire metrology to test various electrical, thermal, and optical characteristics of our products, an independant contractor who may happen to have this equipment on hand. We will need tests/reports for everything from A19 bubls to tubes.

My question is - Am I nuts to try to find someone with this type of equipment "laying around?" I've read various threads about certain equipment, ie. the integrating spheres, and it seems like a lot of work to maintain, as well as that it's sizable equipment to have in ones garage. Any input from the professionals (all of you) would be much appreciated. I've put in calls to labratories as well for prices, I just wanted to explore all options.

Thanks in advance!
Kat-

Yes Kat, unfortunately you are nuts to expect that :)

It is not just a matter of having the proper (and extensive) equipment, having it calibrated, etc., but knowing how to properly use it and interpret the results.

Now one thing you should know, is there are labs that are officially certified labs that you will be required to use if you want things like Energy Star. Do your homework and you will find other labs that still do excellent work and will follow LM79 methodologies, and provide highly accurate results. They just can't be used for certain functions.

Giving you are testing bulbs/tubes, I am guessing you are in importer? .... or looking to export as a supplier?

Integrating spheres, power analyzers, large goniophotometers, calibrated sources, etc ... its expensive equipment.

That said, thermal is pretty easy. IR cameras really are not the be all and end all as they only give some indication of where to measure ... then you need a probe with is relatively inexpensive.

I have done some tear down work for clients that is in many ways over and above what a lab will do. I can't do full photometrics, but I can do a tear down and identify design deficiencies and failure points which can also be critical to know.

Semiman

LightLady

Newly Enlightened
Yes Kat, unfortunately you are nuts to expect that :)

Now one thing you should know, is there are labs that are officially certified labs that you will be required to use if you want things like Energy Star. Do your homework and you will find other labs that still do excellent work and will follow LM79 methodologies, and provide highly accurate results. They just can't be used for certain functions.

Giving you are testing bulbs/tubes, I am guessing you are in importer? .... or looking to export as a supplier?

Semiman

Hello Semi-
Thank you! We are looking to import the product we're developing for resale. Thank you for the Energy Star information, I'll look into certiifed labs.
Kat-

SemiMan

Banned
Where are you located LightLady?

There are a lot of shoddy asian suppliers our there, and even the ones that seem tolerable on the surface could leave you with customer troubles depending on things like your target market, warranty that you plan to offer, etc. Many of those issues WILL NOT show up in lab testing as they are inherent underlying design and manufacturing issues that are unrelated to the testing of a small subset of new bulbs.

Hence why I have done tear down analysis and given direction to companies looking to import so that they can either remedy the issues and/or at least know what they are getting into.

Semiman