PLEASE HELP - noob wants an LED flashlight

railgun_livewire

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, thanks for your time!

I'm after a new flash light and don't really want to get carried away with new battery formats...
Hopefully the survey below helps!
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
__x__I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
____Less than $60.

3) Format:
__x__I want a flashlight

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:
____I don't care.

5) Emitter/Light source:
__x__LED (what's HID?)

6) Manufacturer:
__x__I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What battery type do you want to use?
____I intend to use standard size batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) nimh or lithiun

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
__x__I want as much as I can get

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.
__x__50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
____Fairly Important (It's not going to be used as a weapon, but I won't drop it either).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):
____I don't care.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
____I don't care.

14)Material/Finish/Coating
____I don't care.

Danielight

Enlightened
Sounds like you might want to start with a light that runs on AA batteries. Did you have a particular budget in mind? There are so many different brands and models out there ... might help if you could narrow it down a little by sharing what your main uses will be (e.g., walking the dog at night, carrying it to work with you, just using it around the house?).

railgun_livewire

Newly Enlightened
thanks so much for your reply.

As advised, $60 is my very upper most budget - and will only go there to get something significantly better than a $30 item.
I want the flashlight for a range of uses; security around the house at night, camping and hiking...

I've seen a few models on ebay from $9 - $40 and I'm really not too sure what the result will be.
My humble research into CREE LED's has probably left me with more questions that it's answered - so your advice is welcome!

rambo180

Enlightened
thanks so much for your reply.

As advised, $60 is my very upper most budget - and will only go there to get something significantly better than a $30 item.
I want the flashlight for a range of uses; security around the house at night, camping and hiking...

I've seen a few models on ebay from $9 - $40 and I'm really not too sure what the result will be.
My humble research into CREE LED's has probably left me with more questions that it's answered - so your advice is welcome!

Are you sure you want a torch and not a headlamp? A recent thread (can find if you wish) asked if a torch or headlamp was better for camping. EVERYONE said headlamp.

HID is high intensity discharge. A globe. With Xenon or other fancy gasses. A bit like the really old maglites but with a brighter bulb. I don't think you want that.

Some cheaper reccomendations included:

Maglite XL200 (runs on 3xAAA)
Maglite 2D

They're both bright. And will do 100m+. 5x the battery life on the 2D model though. Depends how small you want it.

I'm staying clear of the fenix, sunwayman, klarus, eagletac reccomedations cos you can't get a good bright (bigger than 2xaa) for less than $30, they're made for super quality and you clearly don't need the very best.

Checkout shiningbeam. The more expensive brands they sell are Olight, jetbeam and ITP, but the others are still really good. In particular the 2xaa caveman at around 220 ANSI lumens. (all for around $40 incl. postage, or less)

In this rare case, I think a maglite would be great for you.

AA option:
There is another recent thread, something like "superbright AA for travel" check it out. Just watch your prices there. People like to reccomend things that cost way more than $30.

Danielight

Enlightened
I would second rambo's recommendation to check out the selection at the Shining Beam website. You'll find a variety of lights at reasonable prices. Check it out! :thumbsup:

Tegan's Dad

Newly Enlightened
I was just about to recommend the Shiningbeam Blaze, currently on clearance for $30 there, but it runs 18650 or 2xCR123. Good beam, brightness, and the price is incredible for that type of light right now. Just depends on the battery budget, but with your budget, that leaves $30 to pick up battery and charger too.

Otherwise, what about a mini-mag pro+?

railgun_livewire

Newly Enlightened
thanks everyone - some great suggestions!

I've noticed that the CPF tends to take a dim view (no pun intended) of 'ebay brands'...which is unfortunately what I've spend my time researching so far. Are there any decent models out there? Can I get some opinions on the following:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150847202735?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261056181825?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...agename=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...agename=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Thanks again everyone!

Flashiphiliac

Newly Enlightened
I'd go with the lighthound single AA XM-L light with the protected aw14500 battery, a second aw14500 battery, and an XTAR WP2II charger with 2 spacers for the charger at that price range. You'd have a small, very bright, 3 mode, rechargable light within your price range, that can run on the batteries in most remote controls in an emergency.

Or, if runtime without a battery change was more important than small size and higher highs, i'd go with the 2xAA lighthound XM-L light and enloop batteries/charger and use it on medium. It isn't as bright or as small but it is rechargeable and can be converted to single cell and/or used with normal AA batteries or the 1 Li-Ion (doing both battery types goes over your upper price limit and putting 2 Li-Ions in it will fry it).

You are most likely near Australia, I assume by the links, so I don't know if the shipping cost would push you over the limit or not. There may also be a trustworthy vendor closer to you with something similar but Lighthound is the one near me.

railgun_livewire

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Flash,
that lighthound looks very nice!

Shipped to Australia this will set me back $44.
Am I better-off with something else?

Still no opinions on the ebay range?

Last edited:

Tegan's Dad

Newly Enlightened
The last link for the 7W 300 lumen looks a lot like the Sipik SK68. I wouldn't believe the numbers using AA. 14500 will be brighter, but will also get hot fairly quick. I've had good luck with my two SK68s from DX, but I prefer my Shiningbeam lights over them. I've got a Romissen from them and the Blaze. I like the Blaze better, but the Romissen is also good.

As a general comment on the brands, ultrafire and trustfire (and any other x-fire that isn't surefire) have a lesser reputation here on CPF. I've bought one ultrafire (model C3) and one trustfire (model Z1) and had good luck. I really like the Z1 a lot, but have heard it can be a lottery with those if you get a good one or not. Either I'm lucky or they aren't as bad as people say though. It also depends on how rough you are on lights.

Phil Ament

Enlightened
Not that I have had any personal experience with these cheaper sort of lights, however I have previously seen almost exactly the same light that is in your last link for sale over at DX, and from memory it seems to have got relatively good reviews from the people that have already purchased them. Anyway I hope that this may help you in some way.

LowLumen

Newly Enlightened

I would suggest you stick with AA lights for your first LED, and get something you can use 'anytime anywhere'.
(ie; an EDC)

You do not need 300-700 lumens for this general use. Not even close. Even more important than lumen level is the flood to spot; where those lumens are put. Inside your house or hiking down a trail, you want to illuminate what's immediately in front of you and out maybe out 30-50 feet. You do not want a blindingly bright dot of light 25 feet across the room. You want to illuminate a much larger area at this close range! Don't get a 'throwy beam' light for your first light.

For lumen levels, here's what works for me: 1-3 lumens for darkest conditions; dropping keys in the theater, looking at the menu in a dark restaurant, getting around your house or camp when you want to preserve night vision. 15-30 lumens is ideal for inside house, looking for things in dark corners at close range, getting down a trail to 30-50 feet out. 80-130 lumens for farther range out to 100+ feet and daylight use looking into dark areas.

Get one of the small single AA lights (I have an Olight I2 EOS, there are many other fine examples) to start and to get some idea of your actual, practical use. You can have it with you at all times as it is small enough to slip in your pocket. For general use, 99%, you will always use it simply because it is always with you. Later you will have the experience to decide what sort of lumen and throw you want for a more specialized high powered extra bright super lumen flashlight. You will find out when and if your little EDC ever falls short.

rambo180

Enlightened

Do not trust ebay flashlights. Ever. The Romisen looks ok though. Stop looking at ebay.

Go to shiningbeam or lighthound and buy the romisen from there. You'll get a good price, relaible service and trustworthy battery life and lumen output statements. You won't really get better advice than what we have given you already. For $30 to $40 incl. postage, you can get a mid-quality solid light.

Too much thinking can ruin it. take the plunge!

Flashiphiliac

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Flash,
that lighthound looks very nice!

Shipped to Australia this will set me back $44.
Am I better-off with something else?

Still no opinions on the ebay range?

At that price I would try to find something closer.
I started my post assuming you were stateside then took another look after I had already formed an idea.

What I was thinking when I decided on that light was:
XM-L or XP-G LED to meet the distances you listed and be usable up close.
2-3 modes with no strobe so you can use it indoors or out. I actually prefer a Low Medium High arrangement but the HML on the lighthound is acceptable.
Must be able to handle the 4.2v 14500 for the extra WOW factor that the higher voltage provides and be able to run on AA for times when you can't charge.
A brand of protected batteries with a rock solid reputation.
A back up battery to meet or exceed your runtime requirements.
A known decent charger with the needed adapters.
From a vendor that is known for handling returns and problems promptly.
Shipping and all the above within your price range.

The 7W light from your last link looks like a light I bought at a gun show in April.
Mine zoomed out to a square of light that gives decent throw but looks pretty crazy when you are used to seeing round lights. I do not know if mine could handle the 14500 batteries but that one in your link claims it can. I put a bunch of 5/8" glow in the dark O-rings inbetween the fins and that's when my special lady friend took it for a purse/car light. She also took 2 of my lighthound lights and gave them to her parents for feeding the horses at night. They still thank me whenever I call.

It's hard to recommend the ebay stuff since I don't know for a fact that it is the same light I have used.
But if you like the Lighthound, you might want to look into the balder se-1 cree xm-l t-6.
I think they are the same light. There are some websites out of HK that ship worldwide for free.
Then you just need the batteries and charger I listed in my last post which may be available from the same place or you can go with normal AA batteries but you lose about 1/2 or more of your brightness and almost all of your WOW thats bright. I can't recommend a specific vendor since I haven't used them. I added 'in Australia' to my search and found some reasonable prices.

I wish you luck in getting some illumination down under. :D

fishndad

Enlightened
the blaze is a great light with quality beam and nice interface its on sale for $30.00.@Shiningbeam.
I would say it closely stacks up to my Quark 123squared Turbo X that i paid more than twice the money for.
And your getting a light from a guy who participates on this forum

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first 3 lights use 18650 lithium batteries. You will need to buy batteries and charger.
The last light has misleading specs. It will only get ~90 lumens with AA. You need 14500 lithium batteries and charger to get close to the 300 lumens claimed.
BTW while posted in eBay Australia the location of the lights are in China. You could be stuck paying import taxes and customs brokerage fees.

Now lithium batteries are dangerous for people who are not familiar with their safe handling. Take a look at the pictures in these threads to see what can happen to careless use of lithium powered flashlights.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?280909-Ultrafire-18650-3000mA-exploded
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?262234-TK-Monster-Explosion
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...CR123-Explosion-during-use-firsthand-account)

If properly handled lithium powered flashlights can be very safe. Here are the instructions for safe handling of the batteries:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Using-Li-ion-cells-in-LED-flashlights-safely

-----

My recommendation for a first light is to go AA.
Go to http://www.torchworld.com.au and select 'Torches - AA Battery' from the index box on the left side.
Decide if you want a 1AA (~100 mm long) or 2AA (~150 mm long, brighter but a lot less pocketable).
Scroll down and look for the highest lumens within your budget.
You can get ITP there instead of at shiningbeam in the US.
Fenix, Lumapower and Zebralight are highly regarded brand names and their torches have reviews in the reviews section of CPF. The eBay lights don't (they have requests for help when they break down in the budget lights sub-forum which is often).

There are other companies in Australia selling quality torches at reasonable prices such as http://www.ledtorches.com.au/ and http://www.cutter.com.au though cutter tends more to parts for DIY.

-----

One other comment. Neutral White LEDs are a lot less blue and more suited to camping and hiking. Check out the beamshots:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...lights-do-you-love-em-If-not-take-a-look-here!
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...w-comparison-Lumintop-TD-15X-T5-neutral-white
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...arm-Neutral-Cool-White-BEAMSHOTS-amp-RUNTIMES!
-
2xAA 180-lm 3-mode XP-G 'Fenix LD25' Neutral White R4 A$55.95.
All the Zebralights with model #s that end in w or c. The H51w is a headlamp that doubles as a anglehead flashlight. A$65.95 is slightly over your budget.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...lights-do-you-love-em-If-not-take-a-look-here!
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...arm-Neutral-Cool-White-BEAMSHOTS-amp-RUNTIMES!

Last edited:

Latest posts