Good survival/emergency lantern & flashlight

ChaudMasterFlex

Newly Enlightened
So I'm looking for both a good lantern and flashlight. I'd like to keep each item under $150.00. As for the lantern, I'd prefer battery powered that has been known to last a while on the same batteries. I'm also trying to find something that's pretty bright with different brightness modes. Again, I plan on using it mostly for emergencies.

Now on to the flashlight. This would be my "sh$t hits the fan" light. The feature that I really like is brightness levels (for best battery longevity) but other then that I'm open to suggestions. I already own an O-light SR51, Rofis JR20, Nextorch 2AA, and a Coleman Max.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a SHTF light, my two handheld light recommendations for you based on what you want/need are as follows:

Surefire U2. 6 brightness levels in a bomb proof package. Takes CR123's; can be put in a kit, and forgot about for 10-12 years.

Surefire E2L-AA w/ an F04; Only has two brightness levels, but with the F04, you have 2 additional beam patterns, giving you 4, and it operates REALLY well on all AA Chemistries, especially quality RC's (Eneloops/Duraloops). And it too, is in a bomb proof package. Plus, with the E2L-AA, you can scavenge batteries if needed. I have a GOAL Zero solar kit that charges AA's in 2-3 hours and a nice stash of Eneloops, giving me light for about 15 years until my Eneloops start dying off. Perfect SHTF set-up.

As for a lantern...get a cheap store bought Rayovac and put a Nite-Ize 10mm LED in it, and use the extra money for a quality head-lamp. Or get a small Kerosene lamp that provides light AND heat. Plus, it has a neutral tint :0). Keep a few bottles of Lamp-oil handy. You can use lamp oil for quite a few different things besides powering electric devices.

Oh, and welcome to CPF!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's my camping and SHTF kit... flashlight, lantern, headlamp, infinite power - smaller/lighter than a paperback book.

7553023580_c02cf908f4_z.jpg

200+ hours per AA moonlight modes. Quark AA2 XML on an optional 1xAA tube, ZL H51w, and Powerfilm 4xAA 6-panel solar charger. Actually I'd probably go with my 2 Quark AAXs (tactical & regular) in a true SHTF scenario since they feel more robust then the ZL, and being lego-able, I think I'd have better chance getting an operable light from redundant parts even if both failed. I'd just use my Nitecore headband for headlamp duty. Also like the power on a 14500 Li-ion for EDC, and better warranty & CS.

I also have a Black Diamond Apollo lantern, which is very highly rated, but the Quark/business card works as well, with a fraction of the size, weight and batteries, not to mention being on my person 24/7. Also have the Goal Zero Adventure kit, and it works great as mentioned above, but it is too big/heavy if traveling by foot.

BTW, a 9V pak-lite will give a couple thousand hours of light too.... check out the Zombie thread.

Last edited:

CMAG

Enlightened
Imo before you pick a light pick the battery's reppans solar charger is one but imo I would go with primary lipo's cr123 or AA some of the AA have 15 year shelf life and if needed to be scavenged are the most used in the world. 123A 10 year harder to find but allot more compact torches to chose from. I like US made but a good all round torch is Fenix tk41 not a EDC but holds 8AA on low (10lu) will run over 200 hours on turbo 800 lu my edc / backup in the AA format in your price would be a Little twisty w/ LLL or LL drop in only 1 mode but will never fail you. cr123a format (A few $ over your budget) get a HDS EDC