Foxfury Rook
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: First EDC needed: 1 AA, 14500 compatibility w/ all modes, moonglow, over 200 lumnes

  1. #1

    Default First EDC needed: 1 AA, 14500 compatibility w/ all modes, moonglow, over 200 lumnes

    Specs looking for:

    Single AA
    General purpose EDC
    Can use 14500
    Maintains all modes with 14500
    Low/moonglow mode
    High over 200 lumens
    Strobe (would be nice)
    Good battery life
    Half-press high burst
    Under $100

    Then a 2x AA to complement possibly for outdoors camping.

  2. #2

    Default

    Welp, that's about the exact description of a FourSevens Quark AA^2 XML (new name QP2A-X or something), with optional 1xAA tube, that many of us use on a 14500.

    Except for the half-press burst thing.... never heard of that. They have a forward clicky tactical version if that's what you mean.
    Last edited by reppans; 07-17-2012 at 12:03 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: First EDC needed: 1 AA, 14500 compatibility w/ all modes, moonglow, over 200 lum

    Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    Except for the half-press burst thing.... never heard of that.
    Yeah, I don't think I worded that correctly. I was thinking a half press from off position to get a beam burst. Is that referred to as a "forward clicky"?

  4. #4

    Default Re: First EDC needed: 1 AA, 14500 compatibility w/ all modes, moonglow, over 200 lum

    +1 on the Quark X AA² Tactical low voltage head with 1xAA tube. It fits ALL of your requirements.

  5. #5

    Default Re: First EDC needed: 1 AA, 14500 compatibility w/ all modes, moonglow, over 200 lum

    Does the low voltage head come standard or is that something extra to buy?

  6. #6

    Default Re: First EDC needed: 1 AA, 14500 compatibility w/ all modes, moonglow, over 200 lum

    There are two different types of drivers used by Quarks; one is low voltage and the other is high voltage.

    Low voltage heads have input voltage of 0.8~4.2V, and are optimized for single-cell configuration. They typically come with Quarks that run on 1xAA (1.5V), 2xAA (3V), or 1xCR123A (3V). These are also able to run on 1x14500 or 1xRCR123A.

    High voltage heads have input voltage of 3~9V, and are optimized for two-cell configuration. These are used exclusively for Quarks that run on 2xCR123A (6V) configuration. The fact that they have a high voltage ceiling means that you can also run these on 2xRCR123A (8.4V).

    What you need are these;
    - Quark X AA² Tactical (FS.QXAA-2-TB or QT2A-X)
    - Quark AA body

    Optional, if you want tailstanding capability;
    - Quark Turbo tailcap

    When you receive them, simply swap out the AA² body with the AA one, throw a battery in it and voila!

  7. #7

    Default

    I would just advise really thinking about how you will be using the light because momentary and easy mode switching are competing features in a single button clicky. The tactical locks you into two modes unless you go through the reprogramming.

    I'm always trying to use the lowest lumen level to accomplish a given task, so I need faster access to more than just two modes, but it seems half the people swear by the tactical too (based on prior polls).
    Last edited by reppans; 07-17-2012 at 02:15 PM.

  8. #8

    Default Re: First EDC needed: 1 AA, 14500 compatibility w/ all modes, moonglow, over 200 lum

    So, if I was to run lithium Ion AA's instead of primary or Eneloops, I would be able to run the high volt head? But if in a pinch and need to use standard batteries I'd be out of luck, even using two primary AAs??

    Would it be better to not get the the "X" model and get a lower output version like the standard Pro?

    And I think I'd prefer the Pro version over the Tactical.. I like having access to all the modes just by pushing the button.

  9. #9

    Default Re: First EDC needed: 1 AA, 14500 compatibility w/ all modes, moonglow, over 200 lum

    Do they not offer the AA tactical ne more? you have to get the AA^2 with an extra body?
    Fenix LD01 R4, E05 R4, PD31, TK20, TK35, E11, Jetbeam BC25, RRT-0, Klarus NT20, iTP A3 R5, A3 Ti S2, 4Sevens Preon 1, Quark X 123^2, Sunwayman V10R Ti, Surefire G2X Tactical, ThruNite TN31, Mag-Lite XL50, Mag 2D XP-E

  10. #10
    Flashaholic Grmnracing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    CT USA
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hawk45 View Post
    So, if I was to run lithium Ion AA's instead of primary or Eneloops, I would be able to run the high volt head? But if in a pinch and need to use standard batteries I'd be out of luck, even using two primary AAs??

    Would it be better to not get the the "X" model and get a lower output version like the standard Pro?

    And I think I'd prefer the Pro version over the Tactical.. I like having access to all the modes just by pushing the button.
    The Quark High voltage head supports 3-9v's. In theory it looks like you can run 2 14500's around 7.2v's. You would need a tube to support the size however.

    You would most likely loose higher output modes.

    I'm very interested in this. Anyone have experience?

  11. #11

    Default Re: First EDC needed: 1 AA, 14500 compatibility w/ all modes, moonglow, over 200 lum

    Quote Originally Posted by hawk45 View Post
    So, if I was to run lithium Ion AA's instead of primary or Eneloops, I would be able to run the high volt head? But if in a pinch and need to use standard batteries I'd be out of luck, even using two primary AAs??

    Would it be better to not get the the "X" model and get a lower output version like the standard Pro?

    And I think I'd prefer the Pro version over the Tactical.. I like having access to all the modes just by pushing the button.
    Correct. With the high voltage head, you'll be able to run it on a single 4.2V cell, but not with two primaries.

    To get the low voltage head, you'll need to get the Quark X AA² or 123, and then mate it with AA body.

    Quark X (which come with XM-L) will produce higher otuput than standard Quarks with XP-G. It's really up to you, to be honest. With Quark X LVH, you'll be able to take full advantage of a 4.2V cell since it will be able to produce higher output.

    As for the Pro versus Tactical, Pro does not come with forward clicky. Tactical does. You can, however, swap out the tailcap of the Pro with one from Tactical and you'll gain momentary activation, but it means that it will cycle modes when you try to use the momentary activation too fast.

    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryFatKidGT View Post
    Do they not offer the AA tactical ne more? you have to get the AA^2 with an extra body?
    They still sell 1xAA Quark Pro/Turbo with XP-G, but not Quark X. You'll have to get the Quark X AA² and a separate AA body.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grmnracing View Post
    The Quark High voltage head supports 3-9v's. In theory it looks like you can run 2 14500's around 7.2v's. You would need a tube to support the size however.

    You would most likely loose higher output modes.

    I'm very interested in this. Anyone have experience?
    Quarks Pro/Tactical are one of the few small lights that will NOT lose lower outputs even when using higher voltage configurations. They come with really good drivers, which are FULLY regulated.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hawk45 View Post
    So, if I was to run lithium Ion AA's instead of primary or Eneloops, I would be able to run the high volt head? But if in a pinch and need to use standard batteries I'd be out of luck, even using two primary AAs??

    Would it be better to not get the the "X" model and get a lower output version like the standard Pro?

    And I think I'd prefer the Pro version over the Tactical.. I like having access to all the modes just by pushing the button.
    LV head will run 1xLi-ion or 1 or 2x Alk/NiMh/Li
    HV head will run 1 or 2xLi-ion, probably 2x Li (till V drops < 3V) normally; it will also run 2x Alk/NiMh/Li < 3V in a "limp" mode.... only low and med levels work (least on my XML). Not sure where it completely dies, but it definitely doesn't work on 1 Alk/NiMh/Li. I'd stick with the LV head if your talking EDC.

    I like the XML head a lot... it's floody (a lot more useful for EDC and camping) and some non XMLs have a preflash issue. The extra lumens is of course welcome but you may lose some runtime on moonlight to the R5 - but I think that has to do the XMLs moonlight being brighter.

  13. #13
    Flashaholic Grmnracing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    CT USA
    Posts
    193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by enomosiki View Post
    Correct. With the high voltage head, you'll be able to run it on a single 4.2V cell, but not with two primaries.

    To get the low voltage head, you'll need to get the Quark X AA² or 123, and then mate it with AA body.

    Quark X (which come with XM-L) will produce higher otuput than standard Quarks with XP-G. It's really up to you, to be honest. With Quark X LVH, you'll be able to take full advantage of a 4.2V cell since it will be able to produce higher output.

    As for the Pro versus Tactical, Pro does not come with forward clicky. Tactical does. You can, however, swap out the tailcap of the Pro with one from Tactical and you'll gain momentary activation, but it means that it will cycle modes when you try to use the momentary activation too fast.



    They still sell 1xAA Quark Pro/Turbo with XP-G, but not Quark X. You'll have to get the Quark X AA² and a separate AA body.



    Quarks Pro/Tactical are one of the few small lights that will NOT lose lower outputs even when using higher voltage configurations. They come with really good drivers, which are FULLY regulated.
    Are you agreeing with me? Or was my guess wrong? I stated you would probably loose HIGHER modes.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grmnracing View Post
    The Quark High voltage head supports 3-9v's. In theory it looks like you can run 2 14500's around 7.2v's. You would need a tube to support the size however.

    You would most likely loose higher output modes.

    I'm very interested in this. Anyone have experience?
    2x14500 is 7.4-8.4V. 14500s have more power than CR123s and more capacity than RCR123/16340s. I run 2x14500 through my Quark Turbo X, run's fine, also runs fine on 1x14500... not sure if there is an output drop on 1x (don't have 2nd light at that power level to compare), but clicking through the modes, it looks the same to me - this is consistent with the 3V lower operating range spec.
    Last edited by reppans; 07-17-2012 at 03:26 PM.

  15. #15

    Default Re: First EDC needed: 1 AA, 14500 compatibility w/ all modes, moonglow, over 200 lum

    OK..


    Options:


    Double AA:
    If I want to run 2 14500 Li Ion 4.2V cells I'd have to have the high output head (3.0V~9.0V)
    If I want to run 2 Alk/NiMh/Li 1.4v cells I'd have to run the low output head (0.9V~4.2V)


    Single AA:
    I can run the low output head (0.9V~4.2V) for all ??? Or would runing the 14500 4.2V Li Ion be too close to the max limit to use safely? I'll be using AW sealed rechargeables.
    .... or I could use the high output head in limp mode with the14500 Li Ion 4.2V.

    Or.. just ditch the AA option and get 123s

    Or.. Get two lights (high output, low output).


    Do I have it straight?
    Last edited by hawk45; 07-17-2012 at 03:43 PM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: First EDC needed: 1 AA, 14500 compatibility w/ all modes, moonglow, over 200 lum

    Quote Originally Posted by Grmnracing View Post
    Are you agreeing with me? Or was my guess wrong? I stated you would probably loose HIGHER modes.
    I actually read your post wrong. Sorry for the confusion.

    But, to clear everything up...

    Running the HVH with 7.2V will allow for maximum output, the reason being HVH is able to achieve full power with two 3V CR123A. The additional 3V overhead is to allow support for rechargeables.

    Quote Originally Posted by hawk45 View Post
    OK..


    Options:


    Double AA:
    If I want to run 2 14500 Li Ion 4.2V cells I'd have to have the high output head (3.0V~9.0V)
    If I want to run 2 Alk/NiMh/Li 1.4v cells I'd have to run the low output head (0.9V~4.2V)


    Single AA:
    I can run the low output head (0.9V~4.2V) for all ??? Or would runing the 14500 4.2V Li Ion be too close to the max limit to use safely? I'll be using AW sealed rechargeables.
    .... or I could use the high output head in limp mode with the14500 Li Ion 4.2V.

    Or.. just ditch the AA option and get 123s

    Or.. Get two lights (high output, low output).


    Do I have it straight?
    Yes.

    Low voltage head: 1xAA, 2xAA, 1x14500, 1xCR123A, 1xRCR123A
    High voltage head: 2xCR123A, 1xRCR123A, 2xRCR123A, 1x14500

  17. #17

    Default Re: First EDC needed: 1 AA, 14500 compatibility w/ all modes, moonglow, over 200 lum

    How about a Zebralight SC80? It can manage 200 lumens on one AA but also compatible with a 14500. Has a 4kHz strobe as well. I don't know about the half-press high burst though.

  18. #18

    Default Re: First EDC needed: 1 AA, 14500 compatibility w/ all modes, moonglow, over 200 lum

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Floppy View Post
    How about a Zebralight SC80? It can manage 200 lumens on one AA but also compatible with a 14500. Has a 4kHz strobe as well. I don't know about the half-press high burst though.
    Do you know if all the functions work with the 14500 in use? This seems to be the biggest issue for all 14500 compatible flashlights.

  19. #19

    Default Re: First EDC needed: 1 AA, 14500 compatibility w/ all modes, moonglow, over 200 lum

    Just an update and to thank everyone for their input and knowledge.

    I decided on the Sunwayman V11R (with extension). I chose this b/c of the multiple battery options, having XML and rotating adjustment. Next on the list and a close second was the Zebralight SC80.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •