Nitecore SENS AA - no ADT on 14500?

rotototo

Newly Enlightened
On NiMH/Alkaline batteries, the light performs fine, as advertised. Active dimming works flawlessly.

However, when running on a freshly charged AW 14500 cell, the ADT mode becomes inconsistent:

1) Activate the light in ADT mode. It works as advertised.
2) Point it at the horizon and let it ramp up to Max, and leave it there for 30 seconds.
3) ADT now no longer works; when pointing the light straight down it never ramps back down to Low.

My theory is either I've got a faulty one, or that it's a design flaw: the light gets so hot when running on a 14500, the accelerometer chip fails to work. Or perhaps the extra voltage of the LiON cell confuses the light somehow.

Can anybody else give this a try and see what happens?

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interested to know this as well. I won a free one from nitecore's Facebook page. I don't know what model I'm getting yet, but options like this will help decide if I do have an option.

-Alex

Dankung

Newly Enlightened
call the nitecore for replacement.
clearly that the DT mode of yours has making defect.

Phil Ament

Enlightened
What, a faulty new model Nitecore. I've never heard of such a thing. Yeah right! Actually I purchased two of the new Explorer series (EC1's) and they are both faulty, and I am not in the minority. Really makes you wonder doesn't it!

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine Sat ADT works with all AA,primary,NIMH,energiser lithium, AW 14500. Works great,its nice to get the level you want with only 1 twist.Also its quite narrow body,it feels like a AAA in a front pocket. Beam is nice white,wide with flood.A very useful EDC.:twothumbs:twothumbsOn 14500 its really bright but wames up quickly.
I plan to stay with NIMH and primary lithiums.

Last edited:

ouchyfoot

Newly Enlightened
Mine works flawlessly with AW 14500. I love the fact that I can control the heat buildup just by lowering my arm. No clicking or twisting required.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I measured up to 2.5A draw on an unprotected Trustfire 14500, and over 2.2amps on AW protected. I'm not sure if this is the same with all the SENS series, but on my sample the emitter is seriously overdriven on a 4.2v cell, even when it's not fully charged.

Latest posts