Top 3 Single Cell AA lights

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi gang! It's been a while! Just thought I'd pop in and see how things are going with the double AA single battery, brightest super-lights out right now.

What do you think are the top 3 candidates for the following;

Who's got the brightest and smoothest white beam with;

1. Single battery AA
2. Can use both primary or L-ion [edit]
3. At least two levels of output
4. Factory or custom ok
5. Regulated

List your top three
Comments why or specs optional

Thanks for playing :)

Last edited:

Sir Lightalot

Enlightened
1. LF5XT- No longer the brightest but it meets and exceeds all other specs and likely has the smoothest beam you can find in a AA light, at least from what I've seen. Sadly no longer in production but there are still some out there.
2. Zebralight SC51w- Probably the brightest neutral light on 1.5v batteries but not on Li-ion as it is not rated for them. Not the smoothest beam but the tint is perfect and very easy on the eyes. Meets all other specifications.
Cant comment on a third because I've stopped buying lights for the moment at least... Eyeing a Sunwayman V11R with a AA body however. Also waiting for the AA version of the MBI Topedo way down the road. That will be beastly.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
EagleTac D25A clicky neutral came w/ nice holster
(added a green trintium locator to slot on endcap)
Sunawayman L10
(IMHO A great belt EDC in a fenixP1 CR123 holster, turning the head forward with clip on side gives hands free illumination)
JetBeam PA10
(nice holster, added a trint locator)

tonkem

Enlightened
Zebralight SC80. More Efficient (even if slightly) above that of the Sc51. Can run on 1CR123 as well. All levels are current regulated.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) 4sevens quark x aa2 w/ single-AA body. takes alkaleaks, nimh, lithium primary, lithium ion. goes from moonlight to 400 lumens before stepdown. throw in the deep carry clip and you've got one of the best, if not the best single-AA light

2) sunwayman v10a xm-l. moonlight to 460 lumens with just a twist of the magnetic control ring. but clip isn't very secure and is less efficient than a quark. also the 460 lumens will need a bit of babysitting

3) olight i2 eos. very small. cheap. strong clip. reliable 3-mode twisty. 2 lumen low, even on a 14500.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark AAX - moonlight, ~200 hr runtime, floody, low lumen mode spacing, Lego-able, long warranty, good customer service, US HQ, fully supported 14500 (ie, no loss of modes like direct drive D25A clicky).

UpstandingCitizen

Enlightened
-Zebralight H502. 260 OTF lumens in an insanely small package. It's all flood (no reflector), but truthfully it would perform beautifully for almost all day to day needs. Has the wonderful UI that Zebralight is known for.

-Zebralight SC51c. Super small light with a neutral tinted High CRI. Has the wonderful UI that Zebralight is known for.

-EagleTac D25A Mini Twisty. A wonderful light for the price (under $37 shipped from my preferred vendor). These lights are also very small, but not quite as small as the H502. Comes in neutral or cool white, and has a long 10 year warranty. SS bezel is a nice touch.

Taschenlampe Dude

Newly Enlightened
The Xeno E03. Accepts alkaline, Ni-mh and 14500's, 3 modes, no PWM, crazy bright and all for around $30.

Adobo

Newly Enlightened
Eneloop power!

1) Eagletac D25A Titanium Clicky Cool.. Lightweight, Moonlight mode, shinny titanium, clicky.. simply awesome!
2) Sunwayman V10R Ti+ AA.. My favourite EDC, Variable output and clicky in a titanium package!
3) Zebralight H502.. Power flood on a single AA! This is my travel light with SC51Fw

Others
Jetbeam RRT0 AA.. was my old EDC, still love it!
Zebralight SC51Fw.. my "Night Lamp", low-low mode 8 hours a day.. must be my most used one =)

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Eneloop power!

1) Eagletac D25A Titanium Clicky Cool.. Lightweight, Moonlight mode, shinny titanium, clicky.. simply awesome!
2) Sunwayman V10R Ti+ AA.. My favourite EDC, Variable output and clicky in a titanium package!
3) Zebralight H502.. Power flood on a single AA! This is my travel light with SC51Fw

Funny, I'd rate almost the same lights:
- EagleTac D25A Clicky Ti (also cool white, output isn't insanely high on AA, so I have the D25C in NW)
- SWM V11R w/ AA extender
- ZebraLight H51w (considering the F-version though)

Similar lights that somewhat complete eachothers shortcomings in EDC rotation. The D25A is a great alrounder, the V11R is much bulkier than the D25A, but has that whole multi battery goodness (easy to just use CR123 and have AA option as spares), and H51w is just great and with the angled tailstanding comes in super handy for versatile placement and mounting options.

Special mentioning;
- The Fenix E11 is my most used light because it's so expendable but lacks a clip, tailstanding and any sort of low mode. Super simple, grippy and nice to use for momentary though.
- Klarus XT1A because of momentary strobe for defensive purposes and because of the unique UI.

If I had any interest in using 14500's, the Spark SL5 would definitely be high on my list.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far so good! I'm surprised that JetBeams are not mentioned more often. They usually have the newest brightest LEDs.
Keep 'em coming :)

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Xeno E03. Accepts alkaline, Ni-mh and 14500's, 3 modes, no PWM, crazy bright and all for around $30.

Of course how could I forget what I was EDC ing 2 months ago!?!

an incredible beam!! may have to put it back onmy belt :)
14500 this thing ROCKS!!! i put a clip on mine as well

Last edited:

Adobo

Newly Enlightened
So far so good! I'm surprised that JetBeams are not mentioned more often. They usually have the newest brightest LEDs.
Keep 'em coming :)

I use to EDC a Jetbeam RRT0 AA before I bought my SWM V10r Ti. Its good light on AA, with variable and clicky. I wish they release a titanium version of it with a pocket clip, that'll be cool

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) Quark XAA Tactical (most people lose the tint lottery and end up with a very greenish tint)
2) Eagletac D25A Clicky Ti (i dont have it yet; incoming), one of the lightest and most compact 1xAA lights on the market
3) Xeno E03 XM-L U2 (the switch, mode spacing, brightness stabilization, runtimes, missing mode memory, missing tactical momentary activation suck, but other than that it's a rather legendary torch with solid construction and build quality)

Zebralights could be noteworthy (SC5, SC51, T5) as are Rofis lights (JR30, ..): these have limited 14500 support, though.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I owned 4 AA lights, but only 2 of them were single AA lights, and now I'm down to 1 single AA light and 2 multiple AA lights. But I have checked out many others, and I think the Jetbeam PA-10 is the best AA light hands down. It CAN run on a Li Ion 14500, and it is BRIGHT at 650 Lumens on 1-14500. It has nice lower modes too, and great strobe, SoS, etc. Its super thick and tough too.

The Eagletac D25A is next. I had the Ti T-6 version, but sold it. It was nice, but not as nice as the PA-10. Maybe the U2 version of the D25A would be brighter on Li Ions.

I dont know if the Zebralight AA lights can run on Li Ion batteries(?)

The Jetbeam PA-10 takes the cake as far as single AA lights go!

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys! I just ordered the JetBeam PA10 from Battery Junction.
Not sure if the regulation is perfect and too bad it has no output adjustments using the 14500 LiON, but it's that direct drive that makes it a 650 lumen powerhouse. Yea!!
shuffle.gif

An XM-L 10 Watt LED! Wow! My first 10-watt
smiley-dance017.gif

I ordered some AW IMR 14500 LiMN Rechargeable Lithium Batteries from Lighthound too.

The Zebra's are not made to run on LiON from what i found, but look like they have really nice regulation.
I think I have the Xeno E03 in my collection somewhere. It's great!
Not sure of the Sunwayman

JetBeam seems to always be out near the front if not at the front, when it comes to implementing the newest LED technology.
That's the one to get to quench my flashaholism for a bit ;)

Thanks again!
Cheers

Link removed as per the banner at the top of the page - Norm

JetBEAM PA10

Features
• Premium CREE XM-L T6 LED
• Maximum output of 650 lumens
• Maximum runtime of up to 90 hours
• Special designed user interface for tactical applications
• Rapidly switch between Tactical mode and User-defined mode
• User-defined mode allows for customized brightness levels and a multitude of functions
• Anti-roll design
• Newly designed high efficiency broad voltage drive circuit
• Reverse polarity protection
• Equips removable stainless steel tactical clip
• Lightweight design, weighing only 65g (without battery)
• IPX-8 standard waterproof (two meters)

Specifications
LED: CREE XM-L T6
Max output: 650 lumens
Reflector: Aluminum reflector
Lens: Toughened ultra-clear mineral glass with anti-reflective coating
Material: Aero grade aluminum alloy
Finish: HA III Military grade hard anodized
Battery: 1xAA / 14500 Li-ion rechargeable battery
Switch: Forward clicky
Waterproof: IPX-8 standard waterproof
Dimensions: Tube diameter 22.5mm, Total length 109mm
Weight: 65g (without battery)
Accessories: Lanyard, spare rubber tailcap switch cover, spare O-ring and holster

Last edited by a moderator:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! That was fast! I got the PA10 Battery Junction today and also got the batterys from Lighthound. That was way fast!
I also found my E03 so I'll be burnin these two light this evening... mwaahahahhahaaa

slair76116

Newly Enlightened
Brightest single AA battery flash light available?

Hi there,

What is the brightest compact flashlight operating on a single AA please?

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brightest single AA battery flash light available?

Zebralight currently claims to have the highest lumens from sub-2.0V batteries in the H502 and SC/H 51s... (200+ lumens). Selfbuilt seems to have confirmed some of these max output claims, but in my own NW sample, the light does not appear any brighter than any other NW 1xAA light I have.

Different answer if you include 14500s though.

Last edited: