led drop-in for cycling

sandman98

Newly Enlightened
i bored out my surefire z2 for 18650's, and have a handlebar mount for my road bike in anticipation of the days getting shorter and needing a light for my bike. can anyone recommend a drop in led--preferably 3 mode that would give an adequate shaped beam/throw for road cycling? we're talking an average speed of 16-18 mph.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
i bored out my surefire z2 for 18650's, and have a handlebar mount for my road bike in anticipation of the days getting shorter and needing a light for my bike. can anyone recommend a drop in led--preferably 3 mode that would give an adequate shaped beam/throw for road cycling? we're talking an average speed of 16-18 mph.

How much runtime do you need with one 18650 cell? You might look into one of nailbender's drop-ins. He can build you a nice, 3-mode drop-in.

sandman98

Newly Enlightened
2 hour runtime would be adequate. i'm usually finishing up a ride at twilight.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Make sure you get something that has no PWM, because it would be really dangerous when cycling!

If you can find an XM-L drop-in with a smooth parabolic reflector, it would be perfect throw & spill for cycling

Bigpal

Enlightened
I have an XM-L T6 drop in with light orange peel here on the MP. Very bright, 3 mode - High, Low, Strobe.

Nailbender reflector and pill, SB 2.8a driver, LED Supply T6.