Light remembers last setting

jackknifeh

Newly Enlightened
My Fenix LD01 has 3 brightnesses. When I twist the head it starts at med. all the time, then cycles to low then high. Luckily this works just fine for me. Other lights remember the setting they were set to when turned off and when they are turned on they use the last setting. This sounds convenient thinking the last one you used is your most used. That will not always be the case. If I wanted to turn my light on in the middle of the night in the bedroom I don't want to wake wife. If I last used the light at the high setting that's the one that will brighten the entire room. My question is, is there a light where you can "set" your own first brightness? When you turn the light on it would be at your setting, not the last one or what the factory set it to.

Thanks,
Jack

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Fenix LD01 has 3 brightnesses. When I twist the head it starts at med. all the time, then cycles to low then high. Luckily this works just fine for me. Other lights remember the setting they were set to when turned off and when they are turned on they use the last setting. This sounds convenient thinking the last one you used is your most used. That will not always be the case. If I wanted to turn my light on in the middle of the night in the bedroom I don't want to wake wife. If I last used the light at the high setting that's the one that will brighten the entire room. My question is, is there a light where you can "set" your own first brightness? When you turn the light on it would be at your setting, not the last one or what the factory set it to.

Thanks,
Jack

The HDS EDC does exactly what you want. You can fully customize all four of its modes. In addition, it's one of the best flashlights you can buy for the money.

I personally hate lights that have mode memory. I want to know exactly what mode the light is going to turn on to when I press the switch--not the last one that I used (which I probably don't remember).

Last edited:

jackknifeh

Newly Enlightened
The HDS EDC does exactly what you want. You can fully customize all four of its modes. In addition, it's one of the best flashlights you can buy for the money.

I personally hate lights that have mode memory. I want to know exactly what mode the light is going to turn on to when I press the switch--not the last one that I used (which I probably don't remember).

Just looked at the lights. VERY nice. I will keep those in mind. Out of budget at the moment but I figured that. The technology these days with flashlights is astounding. I've had a few but still deep down, I still have the Mini-mag mind set. I have a standard Mag lite with 3 D batteries. That boat anchor isn't as bright as some single or 2xAA lights are brighter not to mention smaller. I've had my $50 and under light needs met and pretty soon I'll have the guts to jump to the $100 level. Of course that's what I want, not what I need. :) Thanks for the info.

Jack

fyrstormer

Banned

Thanks,
Jack
Jetbeam RRT-0. You can leave the control ring in any position you want, and if you forget to turn it down before going to bed, you can adjust it before turning the light on again. You never have to skip past a uselessly-dim mode to get to the brightest setting, or skip past a blindingly-bright mode to get to the lowest setting, because the control is linear -- no matter what the ring's position is, turning it one way will smoothly dim the light, and turning it the other way will smoothly brighten the light. Mechanical brightness control is the best UI I've ever seen.

Last edited:

allyourblood

Newly Enlightened
Foursevens' Quark Tactical series can memorize two modes, selected by twisting the bezel loose or tight (or you can leave it at one setting all the time). Even better, they have the ultra-low Moonlight mode which is great for "just enough" light without bothering anyone nearby. It's dim enough to read in a movie theatre without anyone else even noticing.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Same here I like KNOWING and being able to SELECT my brightness before the light is on whether it be a clicks or a ring or my Quark tactical, but if I had to choose I'd probably want it to start on low.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
over the time I switched my thinking of "remember last setting" ...

originally I hated it ... came from all those cheap multimode crap lights where one has to "find" the level wanted while fighting with strobe and such.
.... that time I mostly used Fenix' that came on on a certain level (and I knew how often to click to get the level I want, good UI)

then it seemed a good idea ... (that were brighter lights always starting on low, but mostly used in high. Always had to click several times, even when the light has been shut off just a few mins )
.... still a "calculated" level to start from is good ...

now I have another approach: a "short timed remember last setting"
1st powerup a day, the light comes on in one certain level (for me: low) and then one chooses the output level --> the light remembers the last setting it was used
that way when one was using it (hike/work/...) but makes a short pause: only one click and the suitable output is on
but then, after some time - say 5 hours - it always starts in one calculable level again

dunno if that can be built, but I would definitly try such a light

jackknifeh

Newly Enlightened
over the time I switched my thinking of "remember last setting" ...

originally I hated it ... came from all those cheap multimode crap lights where one has to "find" the level wanted while fighting with strobe and such.
.... that time I mostly used Fenix' that came on on a certain level (and I knew how often to click to get the level I want, good UI)

then it seemed a good idea ... (that were brighter lights always starting on low, but mostly used in high. Always had to click several times, even when the light has been shut off just a few mins )
.... still a "calculated" level to start from is good ...

now I have another approach: a "short timed remember last setting"
1st powerup a day, the light comes on in one certain level (for me: low) and then one chooses the output level --> the light remembers the last setting it was used
that way when one was using it (hike/work/...) but makes a short pause: only one click and the suitable output is on
but then, after some time - say 5 hours - it always starts in one calculable level again

dunno if that can be built, but I would definitly try such a light

I've had my new light for one day (OLIGHT T15). It remembers the last setting. This means if I want it to turn on at the same level each time I have to set the level when I turn it off. I shouldn't complain since one year ago I was using a Mini-Mag. :) The Fenix LD01 always turns on med. So, I know what to do to get the brightness I want. Easy with that light. Only 3 brightnesses, no strobe or anything else.

Yellow, how smart do you want a light to be? :) What's next? Mental telepathy with your lights? I'm kidding, it's thinking like that that brings about improvements. :)

I hope I don't jump into the really advanced lights. Something tells me they cost $2 or $3 more. :)

Jack

fyrstormer

Banned
Like I said before, a control ring will let you set the brightness of the light at any time, whether the light is on or off, and it will remember the last setting until the moment you move the ring.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
but it makes waterproofing difficult or next to impossible ...
setting output by one on/off button overall is the best way.