Which triple XML ?

DimitrisV

Newly Enlightened
Hi all

I recently converted a DR HID to XML-T6. I used DX dropins SKU 58481 with driver SKU 57779 (1 mode) and lens from 350xFire
I used a custom heatsink from cpu. I have bought heatsink from H22A and i will install it the next days

It's not bad at all but I need something better. My budy have Light For Me 7XRE and it's two times stronger

I am think to built a new head with triple XML but I am not sure which parts to choose.

1) Der Witchel dropins http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ple-Cree-XM-L-T6-Dropins-for-D-size-Mag-Lites
little bit expensive also I am not sure if it feets with 5mm lens from 350Xfire

2) DX SKU: 100483
I like it because it is 9-22V 1 mode and cheap but I think it needs an extra heatsink

3) DX SKU: 126121
Voltage: 3.5-8.4V ----- 5-Mode: Low/Mid/High/Strobe/SOS

4) triple XML from led-tech.de driver ???

Thanks
Dimitris

Last edited:

jspeybro

Enlightened
I haven't used these module, but I hear the DX modules with 3 XML's are pretty floody, so probably a bit disapointing.

edit, did you modify the mag head to use the lens of 350xfire or did you leave the little gap between the bezel and the head?

Klem

Enlightened
Nice build!

You might be better off with a solid chunk of metal behind the emitters as opposed to those air cooling vanes. inside that torch handle the trapped air will quickly heat up. You might be better off using an uninterrupted thermal path to to the outside.

DimitrisV

Newly Enlightened
Nice build!

You might be better off with a solid chunk of metal behind the emitters as opposed to those air cooling vanes. inside that torch handle the trapped air will quickly heat up. You might be better off using an uninterrupted thermal path to to the outside.

With this heatsink after 15min the lens become blured besause pf the temparature inside the mag kead
That's why I ordered a heatsink from Η22Α http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?160483-*****-DHS-Heatsink-2nd-Run-(Ready-to-Ship)*****

Can anyone suggest which is the best compination for triple xml for tech diving (narrow beam)

Thanks
Dimitris

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you will find any 3XML that will give you a "narrow" beam. It's all a compromise in brightness and beam size. For a narrow beam I would recommend a single LED set up.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you will find any 3XML that will give you a "narrow" beam. It's all a compromise in brightness and beam size. For a narrow beam I would recommend a single LED set up.

+1

The only way to get respectable narrow beam is DEEP reflector or aspheric lens. Nobody makes triples like that, at least that I've seen. You'd have to DIY.

DimitrisV

Newly Enlightened
Hector and DIWdiver thanks for the info

I will try DW set

Thanks
Dimitris

Last edited:

Klem

Enlightened
With this heatsink after 15min the lens become blured besause pf the temparature inside the mag kead
Dimitris

The blured effect is condensation on the inside (from the humidity in the trapped air).

If you can remove the humidity in the handle while sealing it up then the condensation on the inside can be eliminated. In my experience glass lenses are more prone to condensation than synthetic (Lexan or Perspex). Try heating up the insides with a hairbrush just prior to sealing. If there is space enough for one of those silica moisture absorbing gel packets then leave one of them inside. You can also minimise humidity by reducing the volume of air inside; Make the wand/handle smaller and fill the remaining non-critical space with material to displace air.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
3xml's. As long as each reflector on each XML is as large as the reflector on the the SST-90. Which will make the light head over twice the diameter.

But given the same total size then one LED with a large reflector will be able to provide a tighter beam than three LED's behind smaller reflectors. The XML's will give out more lumen but the SST90 will give a tighter beam and there for more lux.

Last edited: