LED Lenser vs Trustfire

Spence-_-Man

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, new to the forum and was wondering about torches, I did have a Led Lenser P7 torch until it was 'lost' and was wanting to replace my torch. I know Led Lenser is a very reputable brand with outstanding quality. but Im thinking about the price and what you get for it. I payed AU$85 and it has the speed focus/zoom and 200 lumens with AAA batteries.

I was reccomended to go to
and they have P7 for $29 and worldwide free shipping... sent email and apparently its official product but they dont have licensing for led lenser. I also had a browse around the other torches and the Trustfire TR-3T6 AND Trustfire Z5 got my interest.. So, I was originally going to buy a new Led Lenser P7 to replace my old one AND get the Trustfire TR-3T6 just for insanely bright lumens (3800!!)... Then I realised the trustfires run a battery (x3) i haven't heard of before, the 18650.

So, I seen the Trustfire Z5 which is similar than the P7 (except for the lumens and battery). the Z5 is compact like the P7, its got focus/zoom. And the Z5 runs 18650 batteries.. I may as well get the Z5 and the TR-3T6 so they are on the same batteries and charger.

Led Lenser P7 specs ($29 at led supermall) Link Removed

Trustfire Z5 specs ($19 at led supermall) Link Removed

Z5 is cheaper and 1600 lumens compared to the P7's 200 lumens... Am I missing something here??? i dont get it! 8x more powefull lumens and cheaper..... whats the catch? lol

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____Less than $50.

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

____I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
OR
____I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens). <-----NEED

____I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens). <-----WANT:naughty:

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

Want a Zoom/Focus

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
____90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I don't care.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
either..
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

____I don't care.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

Links removed, please read the banner at the top of the page. - Norm

• Linking to sales threads in the Dealer's Corner and Manufacturer's Corner at the MarketPlace is permitted in this forum. However links to Dealer's or Manufacturer's websites or other sellers outside of the CPF MarketPlace will NOT be permitted in this forum and such links stand to be removed by a moderator. Persistent violations of this policy may result in the loss of posting privileges.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
the catch is its not 1600 lumans. because the xml t6 led is only able to produce about 600 lumans max and i if i had to guess that z5 is about 200 lunans if that.

Spence-_-Man

Newly Enlightened
wow, ok. so they are a well known company and they are allowed to just advertise it as 1600 lumens? I know there are different ways of testing and all but this 1600 lumens would obviously be a MAX figure... and u think it cant go nowhere near it? about 200 lumens... wow!

If this is the case which one would you recommend the Z5 ($19) with no 18650 batteries (and I dont have a charger yet) or P7 ($29) with led lenser AAA batteries x4.

Or would anyone know a similar size zoom torch with high lumen output?

thanks Alex1234

rambo180

Enlightened
wow, ok. so they are a well known company and they are allowed to just advertise it as 1600 lumens? I know there are different ways of testing and all but this 1600 lumens would obviously be a MAX figure... and u think it cant go nowhere near it? about 200 lumens... wow!

If this is the case which one would you recommend the Z5 ($19) with no 18650 batteries (and I dont have a charger yet) or P7 ($29) with led lenser AAA batteries x4.

Or would anyone know a similar size zoom torch with high lumen output?

thanks Alex1234

Alex you sound very fresh. For less than $50 for a superbright torch, you can't go with one of the major big expensive brands. This SHININGBEAM BLAZE is probably your best bet at around 500 ansi lumens. (its half price atm, usually 60). check it out. i have one, they take about 2 weeks to get to aus.

Lenser and Mag are unique with the zoom feature. no other brand name has that so if you can live without, you have a much wider range.

i would advise the blaze. $30 very well spent. do it and spend the rest on some 18650s.