General purpose LED for using in Ethiopia

taize

Newly Enlightened
G'day,

I'm moving to Ethiopia later in the year and want to get a good general purpose LED torch for the home and car. The Sunwayman V60C seems to fit the bill (but its a little on the pricy side). I've been reading about 18650 batteries and I'm a little concerned about having them around young kids so maybe a AA solution would be better.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

X____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter. (As long as they ship to Australia)

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

__x__I'm flexible, tell me what you got.

3) Format:

__x__I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

_x___Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
_x___Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

_x___I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
_x___I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

_x___I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
____I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)
__x__I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)
__x__I want a light with an integrated rechargeable battery. (Note: these choices may be very limited unless you are looking at spotlights)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

__x__I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

_x___5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
_x___30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)
_x___50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

__?__30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)
_x___90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

__x__Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).
__x__Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
It needs to last as getting replacements to Ethiopia will be difficult

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

__x__I don't care.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

_x___I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
_x___I want a programmable light.

14)Material/Finish/Coating

_x___I don't care.

Kym

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might be difficult to get hold of either 18650 or Cr123 batteries. It may even be difficult to find AA's from time to time there, who knows, but I think that would be your best bet.

Of the AA lights, I think the Jetbeam PA-10 is the winner. It is small/medium size. It runs on only 1 AA or a Li Ion 14500 for crazy brightness! But on an AA is has surprisingly good brightness. Its no 700 Lumen screamer like some 18650 lights, but its certainly bright enough on medium or high with an AA. It comes with lots of extra stuff too, like a nice, polymer waterproof case. A holster, lanyard, O-rings. Its $69, but with the 10% coupon at goinggear(summer), its about $62. Its brightness specs are: High: 140L, medium: 55L, Low: 18L, extra Low: 1 lumen.

But on a single Li Ion 14500, its specs are: Turbo: 650 lumens!

I'd get 4- AA Sanyo Eneloops with the charger for $16 or whatever it costs on Amazon.com to go with it, and some AA alkalines too.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd also go with a AA light, and compatible with 14500s if you want power. However, I don't know what the crime situation is there, but I imagine it's a relatively poor country. If you don't want to stand out as a wealthy foreigner, you might want the option of some really dim levels like moonlight and another low single digit level. Infinitely variable ring lights might do the trick, but if blackouts are a concern, I'd go with longer runtime fixed levels.

That PA10 looks like it might do the trick along with Quarks and Zebralights.

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Kym,

I fly a 747 freighter and make several (20+) trips a year into Addis Ababas. I don't travel outside the capital, but I can tell you that AA batteries are available in Addis. If you get a charger, be sure to get one that has the European plug, or get an adapter. make sure the charger you choose will work with 220 volt.

My flashlight recommendation is the Jetbeam PA40. A little larger than some of the above recommendations, but still within your specified size. It uses 4 AA batteries.

Here is another tip for you. When you first arrive you will need to purchase a VISA. The VISA office only accepts USD or Euros, not the local currency. If you do not have USD or Euros, then the processs to get some is a real PIA and a scam. So before you leave, get your hands on a 20 USD bill or 20 Euros. This will save you a lot of trouble and expense.

Enjoy Ethiopia, it is a country with a rich and diverse culture.

taize

Newly Enlightened
I do like the Jetbeam for a little more light and a longer run time. Given its a home based torch the extra size is not really an issue. I'll get a single AA as well to throw in the car as well as some zebralight headlights for the kids and I'll be set....for a while at least.

Bicycleflyer - flying a 747 sounds like fun. A great way to collect torches from all over the world :) Do you get down under (Australia) at all?

Kym