Fiskars X15 Chopping Axe

fyrstormer

Banned
It doesn't look like a good design to me. It has something wrapping around the axe-head, which will inevitably get worn off, chipped, cracked, or broken-off when that part of the head passes through split wood.

CLHC

Flashaholic

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got one of these
Its a nice solid axe - mine came out of the packaging and straight to work, chopping away at the roots and base of a tree we were digging/chopping out.
i scratched a lot of the nonstick coating of the head, and scraped up the handle pretty good, and blunted the factory edge.

A bit of work with 400/800/1200/2000 grit wet/dry paper on a block and a strop on leather and it will pop hairs.
very happy with the X15 and my older Fiskars hatchet (14" version)
I will be adding them both to the trunk of the car when I go out bush.

Fyrstormer - the polymer of the handle is molded around the head, the wedge shape of the head forces the wood away from the polymer (when you are splitting wood with the grain) and you still wouldn't hit it when you are chopping across the grain

markr6

Flashaholic
I have the smaller Gerber version of this (made by Fiskars). The best I've ever owned. Been beating it up for 6 years and it's still sharp and held up well. Just a few scuffs near the head.

lifeissomething

Newly Enlightened
The X15 is a great chopping ax. Much better than any alternative I know of. But I will warn you: when you get the chopping ax you will want the splitting equivalent. Make sure to get the 36 inch X27 super-splitting ax. The other versions are dangerous in my opinion. The handle is too shoot and can go right into the top of your foot if you miss your piece entirely. This is also the case with your X15. To be honest, that "chopping ax" can do a great job splitting small rounds of dry hard wood, you can seriously increase your speed or ease, but it's actually dangerous. Not just, 'oh-you-might-want-to-be-careful -- sharp blade' dangerous but legitimately dangerous.

Happy days in the woods to you, Sir!

leif3141

Newly Enlightened
I got one too - seems solid construction wise. Plan on taking mine when I go hiking in the future!