12 Volt Incan to LED conversion help needed

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to upgrade the lighting in one of our fleet vehicles. This is an 8 X 12 foot enclosed work space. The light pictured below is an incandescent light bulb in a 12 volt light fixture. This light is about as bright as a night-lite. Not good. I need a light with the output of a 65-100 watt bulb out of the same wiring. I'm trying to find the easiest and least expensive solution possible. Here would be my ideal: someone makes an LED bulb (or series of bulbs) on a board of sorts. That board has wires and a connector. The connector can fit into the socket that holds the current incan bulb.

If that's not a viable option, I could cut the wiring going to the current fixture and splice some extensions on, then add a new fixture. The fixture would have to be very thin and bright. I'm looking to create an environment similar to that of a kitchen or bathroom in this space. The space is about the size of a small bathroom.

Do you guys have any ideas where I could find something to suit my needs? Is there a custom manufacturer that can make something happen for me? The goal is to spend as little as possible in the process (< $50)

What do you think? How can I take this dim little 12 volt light and create daylight in this space without breaking the bank?

Fixture:

photo1.jpg

Bulb/socket:

rooflight.jpg

Phil Ament

Enlightened
I don't think that I am allowed to actually post a link directly to a specific product or website, but can I recommend that that you look up some caravan LED interior lights as I really feel that you would find exactly what you are looking for. After having a bit of a look there appears to be several relatively easy and inexpensive options available to you. The reason that I have suggested caravan ones rather than the plain automotive is that they are much better suited to illuminating a much larger area. Anyway I hope that this suggestion helps you in some way!

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
Phil - Thanks for the advise! I have searched a whole lot, I've found things up to 288 lumens as a direct replacement made by Blackhawk LED. Most of the high output stuff I can find is for RV's (which is cool with me). The thing with the 288 lumen deal is that I'm just concerned that it won't be enough light. I went ahead and ordered one to try it out but I'd really like to find something better. I know a 100 watt bulb can put out about 1600 lumens so I'm not really close to what I was hoping for. I wish someone made an XM-L that I could just slap in there. That would solve my problem. I'm not sure why nobody does. The 288 lumen replacement is 48 LED's.

If anyone has anything else, I'd welcome any ideas. Also any manufacturer or anything specific I could search would work! Thanks guys!